Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my car parked on a parking lot..When its time go home lo and behold I see horrible white marks on my car. I look closer..and my heart drops...
its on the rear left of the rear bumper. The scratches are like a half a milimeter deep where they start from the left and as they move toward the right, its just paint removed.

this is just showing the area of the scratches and thats dust around it, was cleaning the area for a better look:

What should I do guys? :wtc:
How would I go about getting this fixed and is it going to cost a lot to fix it?

·
Midlife Crisis Consultant
270 Posts
That first image is hard to see if that white is paint transfer or a scratch down to the primer. If it's the former clean the area thouroughly and try meguire's scratch x first. If it's the latter a shop or someone skilled with a buffing wheel is gonna have to give it a try. Cost shouldn't be too bad though.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Can't really tell from the pictures if it's just the clear coat scratched or if it's to primer (i can see white).

First thing I would do is clean around the area so you have a better view of the damage. After that, try running your fingernail perpendicular to the scratches.
If you nail catches on the scratches, it's to at least the primer. If not, it's just clear coat/paint transfer.

If it's to primer/through the paint, I would just buy a touch up pen and fix it yourself.

If it's a clear coat scratch/paint transfer, use some buffing compound to remove the paint/scratches.

In order to have a better understanding off the damage, better pics are needed. (clean the damaged area and take the photo without flash)

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think its actually silver or that the paint has actually been scratched off.

Any suggestions for buffing compound? Or should I just take it to a professional?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Buy Meguiars Ultimate Compound (you can find it at wal-mart). Apply some to either an applicator or microfiber towel and rub.

As I said before, Run your finger nail perpendicular through the scratches, if it catches that means it's an actual scratch. If it does not catch, it's all paint transfer from the car that hit you.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy Meguiars Ultimate Compound (you can find it at wal-mart). Apply some to either an applicator or microfiber towel and rub.

As I said before, Run your finger nail perpendicular through the scratches, if it catches that means it's an actual scratch. If it does not catch, it's all paint transfer from the car that hit you.
its actually both on a part of it my nail gets caught..so i gotta apply touch up paint to it as well?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
its actually both on a part of it my nail gets caught..so i gotta apply touch up paint to it as well?
You need to use touch up paint on part of it then. What I would do is buy the rubbing compound and remove all the paint transfer.

Now, buy a touch up pen and use either a fine paint brush for models or a toothpick and paint the areas were your nail catches. Do it in thin layers until you completely filled the scratch. You want to over fill the scratch a little bit and now let it dry and cure (couple days is fine).

You now take the rubbing compound and smooth out the area where the damage was. Finally, throw a layer of wax when complete.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
^thanks man..looks like I got some work to do :(
Just make sure you don't rub too hard in the same spot in the same direction for too long. You'll also find the buffing will take a while as you're doing it by hand.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ugh.. sorry to see this Imran :(

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts

Metallics are a tri-coat based formula. If it didn't reach the mid coat, then wet sand. cut and polish.

If it did, wet sand even, then shoot with clear coat, cure, wet sand, cut and polish.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Metallics are a tri-coat based formula. If it didn't reach the mid coat, then wet sand. cut and polish.

If it did, wet sand even, then shoot with clear coat, cure, wet sand, cut and polish.
im not sure what you mean by midcoat..I see silver where the scratches are slightly indented:confused:

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
Silver is probably from the other car. Bumper is made of plastic.

tri-coat = colored primer, mid-coat (color coat, that carries the mica flakes. Metallic), clear coat.

If you look at the underside of the hood, that is what the colored primer looks like.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Bottom line. If you want it to look good, don't do it yourself.

Some people can pull off a diy job and have it look great. But you'll know if you're that person or not. Otherwise it's best to leave it to the pros.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bottom line. If you want it to look good, don't do it yourself.

Some people can pull off a diy job and have it look great. But you'll know if you're that person or not. Otherwise it's best to leave it to the pros.
Yea im going to get an estimate before I even attempt this

·
4th color - 4th wheels
8,829 Posts
ah sucks man, I hope it works out well and whatever you do, don't use insurance for a minor repair

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like it would buff out to me. Try some rubbing compound then polishing compound by hand 1st. Turtle Wax makes some that Wal Mart carries. If that is a no go, have to have a pro buff it.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it to a body shop this morning and got an estimate for $200. The scratches are a little deep so I don't think just buffing will help.
Should I just get it professionally done or take a go at it?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Took it to a body shop this morning and got an estimate for $200. The scratches are a little deep so I don't think just buffing will help.
Should I just get it professionally done or take a go at it?
$200 isn't too expensive. It's also very hard to touch up a metallic car since when you use the touch up pen, the metallic flakes bunch together and make the area you touched up darker.

I say get it fixed when spring comes around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts