Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Last update: FIXED!

Went over to HF to grab an impact screw driver, what a life saver. Seriously, if you don't have one in your arsenal of tools, do yourself a favor and pick one up, they're $8. Had I had one a few weeks ago, I would've been able to save myself $200 on the rotor/pad install, but I needed it done that day because I was going away for the weekend. Damn you retaining screws, damn you. I threw them out as Red suggested.

Took ~ 45mins to replace the hub assembly. 10mins of which was trying to get the dust shield over the new assembly as it was slightly bigger around the edges. Had to grab a pair of pliers and gently bend the edges of the dust shield in areas that were it was hanging up.

No more thumping sound at all! The steering actually feels a little tighter and braking feels more solid as well. One of the easiest DIYs I've ever done. Definitely happy now, it's like a new car. Next up are some rigid collars.

·
Slammed Coupe
43 Posts
Glad to see you solved your issue bro. Im getting my tires balanced right now and getting the wheels checked for any bends. I will get my bearing in tomorrow and hopefully my issue is solved as well. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
148 Posts
@chadbrochills Glad to hear you fixed your problem! I wish my noise went away that easily :/
New wheels and tires didnt fix my noise issue unfortunately. wondering if it could be a bent rotor or something of that nature. but if it was that i feel like it would make that noise all the time and not just when i turn left
@Red Raspberry any thoughts? >_<

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,267 Posts
@chadbrochills Glad to hear you fixed your problem! I wish my noise went away that easily :/
New wheels and tires didnt fix my noise issue unfortunately. wondering if it could be a bent rotor or something of that nature. but if it was that i feel like it would make that noise all the time and not just when i turn left

Bad rotor would be felt when braking.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Thanks dude. If it was a rotor you'd know when braking. Mine were horrible and shook the wheel something fierce while braking. I got sick of playing the guessing game and just bit the bullet and paid the dealership to diagnose it.

Thanks @Coupen_it_Real. Good luck!

·
Slammed Coupe
43 Posts
**Update .

My issue was resolved with the new wheel hub assembly.

***BUT,
Unfortunatly i think the new hub is defective. I put the car back together and i noticed a huge amount of play when i grab the tire with both hands and move it. It moves side to side . I went back and retightened everything and still the same results. My old one didnt even have play, it was just blown from the inside. So im like wtf ? Why does this new one have play on it ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Damn. That's strange. What brand? Mine is a Duralast. No play whatsoever.

·
Slammed Coupe
43 Posts
It was mastercraft. Its the orielys house brand.

***update on the update.

They warrantied it out no prob. Got the new one installed and Bam ! Problem solved !
So relieved.

·
Slammed Coupe
43 Posts
I was so surprised by how easy the installation was. The only thing that was annoying was that the heat shield did not want to fit on the new hub. I just got a flat head screw driver and bent the metal by banging on it with a hammer. Other than that , not a bad diy at all

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Right on! Yeah that's the only issue I had, the dust shield wouldn't quite fit over the new hub assembly. Had to fiddle around with it using some pliers and was good to go after 10mins or so.

Glad you got it fixed! @Coupen_it_Real

·
Registered
148 Posts
hey guys!,
Im back...

well since my noise is still present i wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas of what else it might be. just a recap, it makes a rhythmic hum when i only turn to the left. was told it was a bent strut but replaced all of them with coilovers and got new wheels and tires and it still makes the noise. Right passenger front wheel bearing and knuckle were also replaced.
Something i may have forgotten to mention is the funny " rubbing/ grinding" noise i feel in the pedal when i accelerate quickly and the wheel is slightly turned to the left.

is there something possibly near where the pedal arm gets pushed near under the car? something on the drive shaft or shaft coupler that could rub against that would make this noise.

Im bringing it back to the dealership tmrw and leaving it with them for a few days to look at again since my car is about to hit 60k VERY soon. I am really at a loss and have no way of diagnosing the issue myself. Any help would really be appreciated.

Willing to chat via DM if keeping this thread up is bothersome. @mahrens34 @chadbrochills @Red Raspberry
Thanks again!

·
Nobody pays me in gum
568 Posts
It's not going to be anything with the gas pedal because all genesis coupes are drive by wire so anything you are feeling is either the spring loaded mechanism for the pedal itself or something resonating through the chassis. What you're feeling may be the same thing as this humming you're getting. Keep in mind that something making noise will be rubbing, grinding. etc. in order to make that noise. Try to see if you only feel it in your right foot or if it is in both feet, then see if it comes through any other pedal since they're all bolted to the chassis close to each other.

The other thing is that you only replaced 1 hub, it could be an issue with the other hub. You obviously have eliminated wheels, tires, and suspension as a cause with your replacements unless one of those is defective.

It is not uncommon to misdiagnose an issue because you are listening to it resonate through the chassis.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yeah, the hubs are cheap enough and easy enough to DIY so I'd replace the other hub just to rule that out. Other than that, I'm not sure what else it could be since you've replaced the stock suspension with coils, added new wheels and the problem is still there.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts