Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend doesn't have a account on the forum but his 13' has a issue.

it's a 13' 6-spd base 2.0t with 13k on the odo.

After coming from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd, 3rd always makes a grinding sound if you shift fast or just dont engage the clutch for longer than 3 seconds (we counted exactly).

I did some research and infered that it could possible be a bad synchro or something. The sound comes directly from the back of the tranny right under the shifter rod.

I also drove the car too and got a feel for it. It doesn't make the noise if you wait like 3-4 seconds before engaging third gear.

Car preforms fine, just grinds and sometimes will make you miss third.

ALSO:
We took the car to Hyundai for them to check it, they said it's common in the Genesis and wouldn't fix it.

We tried double clutching as well to see if that was the issue, still grinding. The only way to make it not grind is to hold the clutch in for 3-4 seconds before dis-engaging 2nd, and engaging 3rd.

help 0.o

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
The issue you're experiencing is bad synchro's. The dealership explaining to you that "it's common" is not acceptable and you shouldn't allow them to tell you that. Yes, it is common. Yes, they need to fix it. Period the end, it's unacceptable and if you have to contact Hyundai Corporate, you will do so. It's my assumption that dealerships have been given direction to minimize the amount of warranty they submit. I'm certain there's been a service bulletin at some point mentioning transmission issues, lol.

Secondly. It's not a time thing as far as your shifting is concerned, it's just waiting for the RPM's to fall enough that you are doing the same job as the synchros and rev-matching. Depending on the gear it's ~750rpm. If you're at 5k in 4th gear (let's just say 80mph) and going into 5th. That RPM might only be 4250. Once the revs fall to 4250, you can engage 5th without any issues.

I would definitely recommend going to another dealership or not accepting no for an answer with regards to it getting fixed.

I have a 2013 3.8 R-Spec and just had my entire transmission replaced due to (MINOR) 6th gear issues.

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankkkkkkkkkkkkks.

We went in and he got it serviced because he also gets the wastegate rattle directly at 3,000 RPM where it's just a buzzing sound coming from the turbo. (We think it's the wastegate) Im going to tell him this and we're going to go back to Hyundai and get it repaired.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Definitely synchros and don't let them refuse to fix it. Just because it's common, doesn't mean it's not an issue. I just replaced a trans under warranty yesterday for a 5th gear grind and I have done at least half a dozen others over the years for bad synchros. If they refuse to help call Hyundai Customer Service directly.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Definitely synchros and don't let them refuse to fix it. Just because it's common, doesn't mean it's not an issue. I just replaced a trans under warranty yesterday for a 5th gear grind and I have done at least half a dozen others over the years for bad synchros. If they refuse to help call Hyundai Customer Service directly.
dis

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're taking the car up to Hyundai today! ty for all da halp

·
Registered
140 Posts
The issue you're experiencing is bad synchro's. The dealership explaining to you that "it's common" is not acceptable and you shouldn't allow them to tell you that. Yes, it is common. Yes, they need to fix it. Period the end, it's unacceptable and if you have to contact Hyundai Corporate, you will do so. It's my assumption that dealerships have been given direction to minimize the amount of warranty they submit. I'm certain there's been a service bulletin at some point mentioning transmission issues, lol.

Secondly. It's not a time thing as far as your shifting is concerned, it's just waiting for the RPM's to fall enough that you are doing the same job as the synchros and rev-matching. Depending on the gear it's ~750rpm. If you're at 5k in 4th gear (let's just say 80mph) and going into 5th. That RPM might only be 4250. Once the revs fall to 4250, you can engage 5th without any issues.

I would definitely recommend going to another dealership or not accepting no for an answer with regards to it getting fixed.

I have a 2013 3.8 R-Spec and just had my entire transmission replaced due to (MINOR) 6th gear issues.
Any mods done to you're car?

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Any mods done to you're car?
Maybe... >:D

I've had grinding practically since day one though.

Intake
DP Back Exhaust
TB Spacer
Coolant Bypass
Coilovers

In all fairness though, nothing that should have really caused my transmission to fail though.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Intake
DP Back Exhaust
TB Spacer
Coolant Bypass
Coilovers

In all fairness though, nothing that should have really caused my transmission to fail though.
I agree. Just wondering because I have a 6th gear grind AGAIN (12k miles on new tranny) but just threw a tune in my car and changed out the analog gauges to digitals so I'm sure they'll tell me to screw even if I put the stock ECU back.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
I agree. Just wondering because I have a 6th gear grind AGAIN (12k miles on new tranny) but just threw a tune in my car and changed out the analog gauges to digitals so I'm sure they'll tell me to screw even if I put the stock ECU back.
Most likely, yes...

They're not very "friendly" that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you tried changing the fluid?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you tried changing the fluid?
Not yet, was actually waiting till I picked up a Megan tranny mount but everywhere is sold out with no ETA :crying:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not yet, was actually waiting till I picked up a Megan tranny mount but everywhere is sold out with no ETA :crying:
I know what you mean. Enjuku told me 8 weeks so I cancelled. Found an e-bay seller that supposedly has 4 in stock. We will see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 2011 2.0t base model with 43k miles and i am having trouble with my 4th grinding. are there any trans that hold up better or what?

and also are there any after market slave cylinders for genny's?

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Intake
DP Back Exhaust
TB Spacer
Coolant Bypass
Coilovers

**hits speed bump pulling out of dealership**

**transmission rips out of car**

"oh thats just a little fix, nothing wrong!"

Reactions: ScottAtlanta82

·
3.8 Driver
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have a 2011 2.0t base model with 43k miles and i am having trouble with my 4th grinding. are there any trans that hold up better or what?

and also are there any after market slave cylinders for genny's?
The 14' trannz are better b/c carbon synchroz.

They make salve cylinders as well

If it really gets bad, pull your trans, re do the synchroz, try it again.

Pretty sure your drivetrain warranty is gone, no?

·
Registered
13 Posts
oem slave cylinder just went out. having to take the tranny out might as well replace the synchronizers. is there any where i can buy carbon ones for my 2011 genesis 2.0t. and does any one know if there are and performance slave cylinders i can buy. i only have a stage one clutch but my oem slave cylinder cant hold up to it for long. ive only had the clutch for 15k miles

·
2013 3.8 Track 6spd
22 Posts
So what does it mean if I only get a grind in 6th gear. I can avoid the grind by just pausing an extra full second holding the shifter just outside the 6th position with some pressure then it will fall in. I'm rev matching as best I can and pushing clutch to the floor. I think I'm describing a syncro not syncing fast enough but I dunno. It's quite annoying going 1..2..3..4..5....<feathering throttle to keep RPMs up>.....then 6th.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts