Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to overcome my regrets of not getting the track edition when I bought my car. While I'll never buy the Brembos aftermarket, I thought I could at least change out the lines for stainless and switch out the pads... Rotors will come later. Looking at the Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech lines.

Just curious what you guys think about braking improvement based on what I've described. Last fall during our Dragon run, i had no problem running against the Tracks. I'm hoping that this will give me a nice edge for this Spring.

Next question... Will new drilled and slotted rotors provide an improvement in performance or will they just look pretty? LoL. I'm guessing this will help keep them cooler..

Thanks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Slotted and drilled will provide minimal performance but with the HPS pads you will be top notch. and yes it will look mad sexy:bowdown:

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
For the same reasons, plus several other reasons, if I knew what I know now when I bought my premium model, I would have bought the track model (..or GT model in Canada).

To buy the brake calipers, and rotors now, plus the rest of the break kit seems pretty pricey, also plus an LSD. I think I might actually do the LSD though, and perhaps paint my calipers, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm trying to overcome my regrets of not getting the track edition when I bought my car. While I'll never buy the Brembos aftermarket, I thought I could at least change out the lines for stainless and switch out the pads... Rotors will come later. Looking at the Hawk HPS pads and Stoptech lines.

Just curious what you guys think about braking improvement based on what I've described. Last fall during our Dragon run, i had no problem running against the Tracks. I'm hoping that this will give me a nice edge for this Spring.

Next question... Will new drilled and slotted rotors provide an improvement in performance or will they just look pretty? LoL. I'm guessing this will help keep them cooler..

Thanks
I'll be installing the R1Concepts premium drilled & slotted rotors (from this GB ..http://www.gencoupe.com/vendor-clas...c-x-r1-concepts-premium-rotors-group-buy.html) along with the Hawk HPS pads on my base brakes in about 3 weeks, just waiting for some of the snow to clear out and little warmer weather. If you can wait that long I can give you my thoughts on the upgrade. I might also switch out the brake lines if the upgrade doesn't prove to be as good as I would like.

I found that my base brakes were good enough for my daily driving but I wanted to do something that would provide a little more bite and provide a cosmetic uprade at the same time. Upgrading to the brembos (even if they were bought used) was too big of an investment. The cost of the new rotors/pads was under $500 and that was acceptable to me. I'll find out if it was worth it once I get them installed here pretty soon.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that the ss lines i was looking at are for the Brembos. Does anyone know where i can find non-Brembo SS lines?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I just realized that the ss lines i was looking at are for the Brembos. Does anyone know where i can find non-Brembo SS lines?
they are the same.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just updated my base model to StopTech 6 Big Brake Kit 355mm rotos. It's perfect but the price tag. Now I am worry about my rear stock brakes. I am thinking about the exact same thing like op. udgrade the SS lines and brakes pads, oh..maybe we need to change the brake fuild...?

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
I'll be installing the R1Concepts premium drilled & slotted rotors (from this GB ..http://www.gencoupe.com/vendor-clas...c-x-r1-concepts-premium-rotors-group-buy.html) along with the Hawk HPS pads on my base brakes in about 3 weeks, just waiting for some of the snow to clear out and little warmer weather. If you can wait that long I can give you my thoughts on the upgrade. I might also switch out the brake lines if the upgrade doesn't prove to be as good as I would like.

I found that my base brakes were good enough for my daily driving but I wanted to do something that would provide a little more bite and provide a cosmetic uprade at the same time. Upgrading to the brembos (even if they were bought used) was too big of an investment. The cost of the new rotors/pads was under $500 and that was acceptable to me. I'll find out if it was worth it once I get them installed here pretty soon.
Cosmetic upgrade? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cosmetic upgrade? :rolleyes:
+1.

Just take a look at what people run on the track. Solid, vented rotors. Slotted at most. Very few if any drilled rotors. Pad compounds are selected based on a trade off between cold bite, modulation, and heat tolerance. You base your compound on the grip your tires can provide. You don't spec a compound that can't keep up with the grip of your tires and selecting a compound that overpowers the grip of your tires will just send you off the road. Quality fluid will have a higher heat tolerance and be less prone to fading.

People tend to forget that the base brakes on most any car have enough power to *lock up your wheels* easily. Go ahead and test it. Just jam on the brakes real hard. If base brakes couldn't lock up your wheels there would be no reason for ABS for anything but the rear wheels (stability.) There is no lack of power in the base brakes assuming you're not running race compound tires.

Think about it before you throw in your money.

·
I'm Imran.
2,708 Posts
+1.

Just take a look at what people run on the track. Solid, vented rotors. Slotted at most. Very few if any drilled rotors. Pad compounds are selected based on a trade off between cold bite, modulation, and heat tolerance. You base your compound on the grip your tires can provide. You don't spec a compound that can't keep up with the grip of your tires and selecting a compound that overpowers the grip of your tires will just send you off the road. Quality fluid will have a higher heat tolerance and be less prone to fading.

People tend to forget that the base brakes on most any car have enough power to *lock up your wheels* easily. Go ahead and test it. Just jam on the brakes real hard. If base brakes couldn't lock up your wheels there would be no reason for ABS for anything but the rear wheels (stability.) There is no lack of power in the base brakes assuming you're not running race compound tires.

Think about it before you throw in your money.
I see what your saying. I think I took 'cosmetic mods' the wrong way lol

·
The one the only
2,325 Posts
Not sure about this? Why are they shown as "brembo" lines?
This is true Ryan it was covered in another thread that the lines are the same and if I remember correctly it was havoc or R1 that confirmed it. As far as true rotors go the drilled hole help a little with the dissipation of heat along with the vents that come on almost all rotors. As far as the slots they are made to let the brake dust to be removed between the pad and rotors to create a better braking surface. Oh and on top of all that you have seen them on my car and you know they look damn sexy.

·
Short Bus Driver
1,345 Posts
vox is spot-on about what you'll see at track days/autocross. Under rapid heat cycling, cross-drilled rotors have a history of cracking around the drill holes (not all of them all the time).

Going with a performance street or hybrid auto-x/street pad for street use is going to be the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
for my part i got the premium model and i upgraded my lines to stainless, fluid to motul rbf600 and got a pair of hawk hp+ pads for the front only for race days... thats it

like mentioned above, unless you upgrade your tires, there is no reason to have overkill brakes, you will only lock up your tires faster...

i got the pads, lines and fluid only to prevent brake fade

·
Registered
597 Posts
IMHO drilled/slotted rotors are not such a good idea, depending on what you will be doing with the car will decide what you want to do for a break setup. If its for looks go for whatever floats your boat, if you are going for performance I would suggest slotted rotors. Drilled rotors will crack like mentioned above under heavy heat cycling, and Hawk HP10 pads, they are a pretty hard pad, but they perform, they also have a tendency to go through rotors faster than most pads.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I'll be going with the Hawk HPS pads and SS lines along with the upgraded fluids. I'm just not convinced about the rotors and there are plenty of other cosmetic upgrades that I would do first before replacing the rotors.

Hope to have these on for the Spring run in April. Stay tuned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts