Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
USAFCASE45
328 Posts
btw r1 im looking at getting my rotors from you and the brake pads as well do you have some sort of instuctions that will come with on how to bed in the actual rotors and brakes? or is it the same for all brakes and rotors?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
btw r1 im looking at getting my rotors from you and the brake pads as well do you have some sort of instuctions that will come with on how to bed in the actual rotors and brakes? or is it the same for all brakes and rotors?
With most pads you can follow the manufacture recommendations for bedding brakes. Which basically state easy braking the first 500 miles. Do not come to a hard stop, do not ride the brakes, and avoid stop and go traffic... Thats what most car manufactures will recommend.

With high performance pads they do recommend doing a special brake in procedure. Every pad manufactures suggest slightly different ways to do it.
But honestly I would just take it easy on the brake the first 500 miles or so, and let them bed in slowly. That usually is enough for most people.

Of course if you are planning on a track day, or want to speed up the bed in procedure you can by following the brake pad manufacture recommendations.

Drive 60mph and apply the brakes firmly WITHOUT the ABS coming on to 10mph.
DO NOT come to a complete stop. Repeat 6 this 6 times and park your car without the brakes engaged for 15-30 minutes to allow the brakes to cool.

More detailed info can be found at Stock Brake System Bed-in

·
lovin my 300+hp hyundai
1,499 Posts
After almost a year Im still unsure if my breaks are OK or NOT. They seem fine, but there is one angle that concerns me. When I purchased new pads, I was going to go with Hawk HP Plus pads, but was told not to due to the squeel the pads produce. I was told to go with Hawk HPS pads.

I have noticed ever since install (or soon after install) that sometime's but NOT all the time all depending on how hard I'm stopping I will hear the pads squeall, it's not that loud (least I don't think it is) but enough to annoy me. I do not notice any other problems with them (for example vibrating etc while stoping). It is the Hawk HPS making the squeal or is a messed up rotor/pads? Does anyone have Hawk HPS pads that are 150% silent? For the record* I have checked and confirmed there is lots and lots of pad left.

What make's me do a face palm every time I ask my father and his identical brother who both consider themselves well versed in the car/motorcycle repair hobby can't hear the squeal. I'm twenty-two and can hear it, and there fifty-nine, my point is there damn hearing is slowly starting to go and I can't get a straight answer lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for posting this useful information.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What a great thread - lots of good information. I'm in the process of bedding in my EBC Yellowstuff pads - they called out 200 miles of urban type drive while avoiding hard braking if at all possible. After that it's the 60 mph to 5 mph slowdown repeated several times.

I have just under 100 miles on them right now and they squeal like a school bus - really hoping that goes away with some time and proper bedding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Even after bedding in the Yellowstuff pads as recommended by EBC and have over 1000 miles on them, they still squeal like a school bus. I'm wondering if more patience is needed or if I should go through the bedding process again?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Shims are there to help dampen vibration, but at times its not enough. During manufacturing there will be slight variances between each parts, and those variances can cause some issues like that. The lube will help future dampen vibrations. Hence the reason why Hawk always include a pack of lube with their products.

*EDIT: Poor grammar. Im sorry, not myself right now. The cold medicine is really affecting my ability to write and speak :/

No 2 parts will be exactly identical, so its pretty common to hear issues here and there. But try to break it in a bit longer, as it may just need more time. The rear brakes especially need considerable amounts of time to break in.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm very pleased with the brake performance overall as it relates to the improved stopping capability and with the addition of the Techna-Fit stainless steel hoses the pedal feels great! The squealing is annoying and won't work for the longterm, however I did know that there could be a substantial break-in period for these pads.

I always appreciate the input for the experts, as I'm in a serious learning curve with this stuff!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
One word of caution. DO NOT APPLY this stuff on the pad or rotor contact area. This is only meant for behind the shims. Some people like to put this stuff on the hardware kits, and caliper pins. But it is not to be put in the area where your pad comes into contact with the rotor! Never lube that area. We need to friction for your brakes to work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
One word of caution. DO NOT APPLY this stuff on the pad or rotor contact area. This is only meant for behind the shims. Some people like to put this stuff on the hardware kits, and caliper pins. But it is not to be put in the area where your pad comes into contact with the rotor! Never lube that area. We need to friction for your brakes to work.
I already put these on behind the shims. Do you guys also put these on between the back of the pad of the shim?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 41 Posts