Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found this forum page yesterday and spent a couple of hours yesterday and today looking around in each different category to get to know extra information.

I am posting here cause I do want honest opinions as yall own the car and have the best expertise in this area.

I am currently 18 with a ford f-150 and sports cars have always been a want in my life and I am getting close to the amount I want to spend on my car. When doing research this past year I finally found this car and fell in love with the way it looks and how unique it is. I have never seen one that I recall but in my area a lot of people drive mustangs,camaros,chargers,challengers, 370z,350z, BRZ, Toyota 86 and Fiat Spiders. I am a guy who loves external look but also uniqueness with a slight want to turn heads when driving past.

I wanted to get yalls opinions on if purchasing a 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec RWD or any 2016 trim is the best idea? I still have about 3-5 months to go but I just wanted honest opinions before I start deep diving more and finalizing a mod list. I had some of an idea what to get but thankful to these forums I plan on targeting:
Tires/wheels then breaks then suspension first then go into other mods, if you have any better routes to go please let me know. I tried to read as much as I can but most of the forums i read were 2014-2016 not many recent ones.

I appreciate everyone taking their time to read this and would appreciate and love the feedback. I hope you all have an amazing day and thank you for your time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Edit: Also I’m sorry if this is a repeating question I just have never owned a car let alone a sports car and I have never done modifications to my truck at all, so I’m sorry if I’m not the brightest in this category

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Well, Rspec already comes with Brembo brake calipers, so only think you can do to improve would be better brake pads (any aftermarket would be better then OEM pads).
When it comes to which trim to get, Rspec or Ultimate are best choices.
Ultimate will have everything that R spec has pluss GPS screen/radio, powerset, sunroof, fogs on the bumper with LED strip.

When going with new wheels don't over do it and ruin your handling due to tilty wheels.

Had my 13 by for past 6 years and love it. It turn heads more than any cars you listed because its unique and well designed and with modifications I have done, its planty fast for me and surprised few people.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GenC35

·
Premium Member
15,285 Posts
For Wheels for rspec/ultimate/track, personally I would go with 18s, even though it comes with 19s from the factory.

Reason is, it will have more tire sidewall, translating to a better ride.
Just be careful to make sure the spokes of whatever wheels you get, can clear the brembo brakes.

Besides that, maintenance is the same as any other car.
Just make sure to get under the car once a year to check all the rubber suspension/drive line bits for wear and/or damage.
Since it's direct injected, every ~30k miles or so, you will want to unbolt the entire intake manifold to clean the carbon build up on the intake valves. (Inherent issue with direct injection in general. Not model/manifacturer specific).

This on a VW, but principle is the same. skip to 7:00

Compared to cars made over the last 20 years, these cars are relatively easy to work on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For Wheels for rspec/ultimate/track, personally I would go with 18s, even though it comes with 19s from the factory.

Reason is, it will have more tire sidewall, translating to a better ride.
Just be careful to make sure the spokes of whatever wheels you get, can clear the brembo brakes.

Besides that, maintenance is the same as any other car.
Just make sure to get under the car once a year to check all the rubber suspension/drive line bits for wear and/or damage.
Since it's direct injected, every ~30k miles or so, you will want to unbolt the entire intake manifold to clean the carbon build up on the intake valves. (Inherent issue with direct injection in general. Not model/manifacturer specific).

This on a VW, but principle is the same. skip to 7:00

Compared to cars made over the last 20 years, these cars are relatively easy to work on.
Appreciate it, do you have a set of wheels you recommend or a company? I don’t know much and after tired and wheels do you go for for suspension?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Rspec already comes with Brembo brake calipers, so only think you can do to improve would be better brake pads (any aftermarket would be better then OEM pads).
When it comes to which trim to get, Rspec or Ultimate are best choices.
Ultimate will have everything that R spec has pluss GPS screen/radio, powerset, sunroof, fogs on the bumper with LED strip.

When going with new wheels don't over do it and ruin your handling due to tilty wheels.

Had my 13 by for past 6 years and love it. It turn heads more than any cars you listed because its unique and well designed and with modifications I have done, its planty fast for me and surprised few people.

Could I possibly get your mod list? I love how that looks and if you send the mod list could you recommend the order? I’m just completely new to the car scene and don’t want to be a dumbass lol and do you recommend the 2.0t or 3.8L?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Could I possibly get your mod list? I love how that looks and if you send the mod list could you recommend the order? I’m just completely new to the car scene and don’t want to be a dumbass lol and do you recommend the 2.0t or 3.8L?
3.8l, magnaflow exhaust, deleted secondary cats, custom true CAI, ported throttle body (80mm), port matched intake manifolds, port matched head (intake side), heat reduction mods. Lighter wheels and tires.
Wheels // tires
19x8.5 et 20 // 245/35 front
19x9.5 et 25 // 265/35 rear

Stance coilovers, carbon fiber grill (similar to Boostec grill) carbon fiber hood vents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.8l, magnaflow exhaust, deleted secondary cats, custom true CAI, ported throttle body (80mm), port matched intake manifolds, port matched head (intake side), heat reduction mods. Lighter wheels and tires.
Wheels // tires
19x8.5 et 20 // 245/35 front
19x9.5 et 25 // 265/35 rear

Stance coilovers, carbon fiber grill (similar to Boostec grill) carbon fiber hood vents.

Thanks a lot man I appreciate it.

I am currently looking at tire sizes and I was thinking about going with 18s,
Front:
235/40ZR18
Wheel size: 8.5

Back:
265/40ZR18
Wheel size: 9.5

The tires would be Federal UHP-595RS-Pro with Enkei RPF1 wheels.

Is this a bad tire size? I did some research on the tires and wheels and heard they're both amazing. I just want to make sure I got the right size of the tire.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Thanks a lot man I appreciate it.

I am currently looking at tire sizes and I was thinking about going with 18s,
Front:
235/40ZR18
Wheel size: 8.5

Back:
265/40ZR18
Wheel size: 9.5

The tires would be Federal UHP-595RS-Pro with Enkei RPF1 wheels.

Is this a bad tire size? I did some research on the tires and wheels and heard they're both amazing. I just want to make sure I got the right size of the tire.
You need 245/40 in the front at the minimum. 235 will have more understeer and loss of traction.
Also keep in mind that shedding tite weight has exponentially higher impact on power loss/gain during acceleration compared to wheel weight.
Those Federal ties are way too heavy. 29lb

Lightest tires with very good traction - Continental extremecontact sport 26lb
Slightly heavier and slightly better tires - Michelin super sport. 27lb

Therse will last you 3 times as long and will have far better traction in wet and cool to normal temperatures.

Tires that shine on the track are garbage on the street, unless it's super hot out. Used to have Egle F1 Supercar tires. Crappy traction in normal temperatures, zero traction in the rain and wore out in 7k miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need 245/40 in the front at the minimum. 235 will have more understeer and loss of traction.
Also keep in mind that shedding tite weight has exponentially higher impact on power loss/gain during acceleration compared to wheel weight.
Those Federal ties are way too heavy. 29lb

Lightest tires with very good traction - Continental extremecontact sport 26lb
Slightly heavier and slightly better tires - Michelin super sport. 27lb

Therse will last you 3 times as long and will have far better traction in wet and cool to normal temperatures.

Tires that shine on the track are garbage on the street, unless it's super hot out. Used to have Egle F1 Supercar tires. Crappy traction in normal temperatures, zero traction in the rain and wore out in 7k miles.

So these will be better?

I searched up the Michelin super sport and this came up:
Is this the right tire?

Front:
255/40ZR18/XL (99Y)

Rear:
265/40ZR18/XL (101Y)

Also would the RPF1 Enkei wheels still good for this or do you recommend a different wheel?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes,wheels will be fine.
Pilot super sport and pilot 4s are different

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes,wheels will be fine.
Pilot super sport and pilot 4s are different

So I found them and I am looking at the sizes

I was thinking of:

Front:
255/40ZR18 (95Y)

Rear:
265/40ZR18 (97Y)

But my question is I was looking and some of them said XL on it, such as like 265/40ZR18/XL
Would the XL be a better purchase or?

Also could I get your opinion on my so-far mod list?

Exhaust: Ajun 3.8 Racing Exhaust genesis coupe

Coilovers: BC Racing BR Type Coilovers for 2010-16 Genesis Coupe

Should I look at getting anything else off the bat? When I start to mod the car

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Exhaust is relly nice. BC coilovers are bottom shelf.
A good set coilovers that are really strong and will last you over 5 years - Stance coilovers. They have inverted monotubes in the front. No flex on a strut like the rest, and better quality

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exhaust is relly nice. BC coilovers are bottom shelf.
A good set coilovers that are really strong and will last you over 5 years - Stance coilovers. They have inverted monotubes in the front. No flex on a strut like the rest, and better quality

Do you recommend any breaks or breakpads, I should get? Also any intake ideas? Or anyother parts I should look at modding? I have the R-spec trim.

And are these the right coilovers?
And should I get the add swift springs, and the front helper springs?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes, they are correct . No need for helper spring and sfift springs only if you want to change up spring rate.
Only intake on the market worth getting is true CAI - from 3point8performance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, they are correct . No need for helper spring and sfift springs only if you want to change up spring rate.
Only intake on the market worth getting is true CAI - from 3point8performance

Alright sweet, Ill take a look at it.

Do you suggest looking at breakpads aswell or?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Only if yours are wore out or you are planning to track it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only if yours are wore out or you are planning to track it

I don't plan on tracking it so I guess thats good,

This is the intake right?

And lastly is there anything else you suggest to look at modding?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts