Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Belt Squeaky

11K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Moley 
#1 · (Edited)
When I first start my car in the morning after a cold night ( -5 or lower ) the belt will make a squeaking noise ( at least I think it is the belt ) for about 30 seconds or so. I don't think anything major is wrong but it is worrisome and annoying. I took it in to have it checked out and Hyundai said there is nothing wrong and it's normal for that sound to be heard on a cold start. Somehow I don't think so. Anyone know what's going on?

#2 ·
Go to an auto part store and ask for belt dressing, spray it on the pulleys and the belt serp belt.

#4 ·
I have the same thing going on. It's just condensation on the smooth surface of the belt because of the cold weather. This happened to me last winter(when my car was new) as well as this year. No squeaking during other seasons. So it's normal.

#6 ·
This winter, the weather went as low as 12 degrees centigrade(don't know how much is that in fahrenheit). But we get 80-95% humidity almost on a daily basis.

#12 ·
That's it? We can get to -20c at times. I looked up where you live and I was curious as to how cold it got there. I don't think you have belt issues because of the cold but the humidity might be a different story. 80-95% is crazy high so condensation might be a factor. I am not a mechanic but I think that is a fair assessment. The humidity here in the winter is about 70-80% so I don't think thats it for me. IDK. I just want it to stop.

#8 ·
I know this may not be a problem right now but also by keeping your engine bay clean, it will help with belt and pully noises...I once owned a pontiac sunfire 2004 up intill about a year ago and never had a probelm with extra noises coming from the engine bay.

#11 ·
I wonder what they meant by "checked the belt" if they didn't pull the belt off an inspect it, they didn't really check it. i'd guess that spend 8 seconds looking for cracks on one part of the belt and found nothing.

I live closer to the coast, but have had very similar temperatures as you, and no belt squeal. i work at a shop, and every belt noise we have come in, (and can hear) we can fix. either belt, pulley or tensiooner, there's something wrong.

keep trying, and if no luck, try the next dealer. aren't there 3 different places between penticton and vernon?

hope you get it fixed, no new car should have that noise!

#13 ·
Ya, they definitely did not take off the belt. They did say they checked the tension though. IDK but they said it's normal which is BULLSHIT! I think I should take it to a different dealer like you said or just keep complaining to the one I take it to now. The closest would be Vernon. (crap hole that it is) I am thinking it is for sure from the cold but why? What do you think? It goes squeak squeak in intervals and not one solid squeal till the belt gets going. Almost sounds like it does it till the oil starts to flow so mabye it's not the belt. How long does it take for oil to start flowing on a cold morning? Sorry for all the questions. I hope that's ok. (take advantage of a guy that works in a shop why don't I):D

#14 ·
well to test your oil theory you could change your current stuff with a 0w30 synthetic, it will flow better and faster than whatever you have in there now. I doubt that's the problem though. for arguments sake though, what oil are you running? haha

I've seen belts (more likely a pulley) pick up strange things and make belt noises, or shred belts. faulty tensioners can make noise, but you mentioned a squeak squeak as apposed to a solid howl which usually comes from a loose belt. something like an AC compressor or alternator or PS pump going bad can make that noise as well.

I did actually have a belt squeal one morning, but later that night the power steering pump blew up, so I think that was from the PS fluid leaking onto my belt!

you could check for small leaks, or anything that doesn't look right.

where abouts are you?

#15 ·
I'm using the oil that is on the cap I guess (5w20) as long as that's what the dudes at the shop put in last time I got it changed. You figure I should try 0w30 huh. I don't think I will just change the oil on a whim but then again it could just be it. But I suspect a pully too. I hope it's not the alternator cause I max that sucker out all the time with my stereo. Don't freak me out like that.:woah:
Sorry about what happened with your steering pump....that sucks.:(
I am in K-town and I can't wait for summer! Chicks Chicks and more Chicks!:D:D:D:D

#16 ·
after seeing your post in the audio forum, I can say that your alternator could very well be the problem hahaha.

compare how many amps the hifonics pulls to what the alternator puts out.

;)
Have you beefed up the electrical system in any way other than the wiring?

and go answer my post in the audio thread!

#17 ·
Haha better not be. I have done the big 3 with 0 gauge but that is it. They don't make high output alts for this car yet. The Hifonics pulls 200 amps and the stock alt does 110. I don't run my amp to full potential at all. If I did the alt would surely be done by now.

#18 ·
I did think of another thing that came up this week. not exactly the same, but I had put new belts on a mazda protege a month ago,and she came back saying they were squealing. Pretty normal for belts to stretch, and this wasn't the type with an auto tensioner, so I tightened the belts up. seemed fine at first, but with the heater on, i heard the belt squeal!

I double checked the belts and they were both tight, clean, in line etc. it turned out she had a bad alternator. still putting out amperage and charging the battery, but when we turned on the blower motor, it started to howl.

she had to leave, but a new alternator will fix her squeal.

It is a different story, this one loud from age, and at any temperature, after start up etc, but it's something that could have happened :(

i wonder if you unplugged the 'plug' from the alternator if you'd still have the squeal. (temporarily)

#21 ·
i have a squeaking noise too. it's been doing it all winter. seems to be coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. i can even hear it in the cabin but it goes away after about a minute or two. it's annoying especially when people are outside by the car when i start it up after classes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.