Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some reading through the forums i've come to the conclusion that 5w40 oil will be the best for my 2010 genesis. Though Im a pretty laid back driver(ill push it here and there), from what i've seen many of you say, the 5w40 grade oil is best for the longevity and health for the engine as well as the turbo especially. However, Im not sure which brand or oil I should consider. Most 5w40 are branded as European oil and I'm not sure if that has any effect to my genesis. Personally I don't mind spending the extra money for a big name brand oil such as Amsoil, Motul, royal purple or liqui moly. Any suggestions to which brand I should go with. And if so which specific bottle Should I get? For example Motul has so many to choose from like their X-cess and x-clean and lite oil. And Amsoil has both an MS and FS 5w40 and to be honest the choices are so confusing. So if you all on the forums could help me out and dumb it down to specific bottle and why that would be a good choice I would appreciate it to help clear the confusion I'm dealing with deciding which bottle of 5w40 I should get!

·
Registered
362 Posts
So after some reading through the forums i've come to the conclusion that 5w40 oil will be the best for my 2010 genesis. Though Im a pretty laid back driver(ill push it here and there), from what i've seen many of you say, the 5w40 grade oil is best for the longevity and health for the engine as well as the turbo especially. However, Im not sure which brand or oil I should consider. Most 5w40 are branded as European oil and I'm not sure if that has any effect to my genesis. Personally I don't mind spending the extra money for a big name brand oil such as Amsoil, Motul, royal purple or liqui moly. Any suggestions to which brand I should go with. And if so which specific bottle Should I get? For example Motul has so many to choose from like their X-cess and x-clean and lite oil. And Amsoil has both an MS and FS 5w40 and to be honest the choices are so confusing. So if you all on the forums could help me out and dumb it down to specific bottle and why that would be a good choice I would appreciate it to help clear the confusion I'm dealing with deciding which bottle of 5w40 I should get!
They are all very good oils. European certified means they satisfy Euro 7 emissions and oil protection standards. Each oil has different additives so go with what best suits your car? If you do track days or pull high G's I'd use Amsoil. Otherwise I use Castrol or Mobil 1 for daily use. Oil filter matters more than oil brand...

Be careful of royal purple. They use a ton of additives and are not always suitable for cold weather or long service intervals like Penzoil or Valvoline are. Check the spec sheet, they are available if you search the specific oil. You'll find max operating temps and vidcosity flow rates too

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all very good oils. European certified means they satisfy Euro 7 emissions and oil protection standards. Each oil has different additives so go with what best suits your car? If you do track days or pull high G's I'd use Amsoil. Otherwise I use Castrol or Mobil 1 for daily use. Oil filter matters more than oil brand...

Be careful of royal purple. They use a ton of additives and are not always suitable for cold weather or long service intervals like Penzoil or Valvoline are. Check the spec sheet, they are available if you search the specific oil. You'll find max operating temps and vidcosity flow rates too
Great thanks for the insight. So if European labeled oil if for their emission standards would it affect the emissions of my car? I myself live in Southern California they’re pretty strict here. And with any oil I usually change the oil every 3000-5000 miles just to keep good oil in my car. I’d rather spend the extra money buying oil. It’s cheaper than repairing an engine!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Coupe is a 3.8, so it doesn't see the wear/temperature the oil running in a 2.0 turbo would see. Evident by the difference in recommended oil change miles between changes.

Last year I bought a 435iX. It has the turbo charged 3.0. The oil recommended for it (yeah, one of those European oils mentioned by another poster) comes with a 10,000 mile oil/filter change schedule. I'll continue to change mine at 6,000 miles to keep all my vehicles on the same schedule.

The additives to that oil, used in the BMW turbo cars better protects the oil (and the engine) from the heat/stress resulting from the turbo.

My youngest son has an F350 diesel with a turbo on it. He pulls into a parking spot, takes a look at the exhaust gas temperature ga. and if it's above a certain level he sits in the truck and lets it idle till the temperature drops below a certain point and then turns the engine off. He does that to help keep the oil from baking in the turbo oil passages/bearings.

Evidently the diesel oil doesn't have (or maybe can't be made with it and still work properly) similar additives to help it resist baking in the passages/bearings like the oil for the turbo BMWs (and others.)

for info (check to be sure it's okay in the Genesis turbo 4's) here's what I buy/use for the 435iX. Castrol 03101 EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
Hyundai turbos use water cooling too . After the engine is shut off the water continues to pull heat from the turbo by convection.

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hyundai turbos use water cooling too . After the engine is shut off the water continues to pull heat from the turbo by convection.
what i usually do after driving the car is just let it idle for about 30 seconds to 1min to let the water run through the turbo and cool it down

·
Registered
123 Posts
what wt. oil does your car say on the oil filler cap ? That is always a good way to decide. And remember, if it does not say 100% synthetic on the container, it is not synthetic . The base stock is probably dinosaur (petroleum) .

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
what wt. oil does your car say on the oil filler cap ? That is always a good way to decide. And remember, if it does not say 100% synthetic on the container, it is not synthetic . The base stock is probably dinosaur (petroleum) .
My 2010 2L came with 5w20 in it from the factory. What were they thinking?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
Was that supposed to be break in oil? What does the owners manual say to use because that sure seems thin for normal use.
No that's what the oil cap said too, They issued a TSB in 2011 to up the grade to a 5w30 or higher,

·
Registered
123 Posts
No that's what the oil cap said too, They issued a TSB in 2011 to up the grade to a 5w30 or higher,
Just shows when you think you know you might not. Hyundai should be more careful . Did they ever offer any explanation because that sure seems no good.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
Just shows when you think you know you might not. Hyundai should be more careful . Did they ever offer any explanation because that sure seems no good.
Only one reason for a 5w20 and that would be Corporate Average Fuel Economy..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Only one reason for a 5w20 and that would be Corporate Average Fuel Economy..
Some thing else about Hyundai & oil ,when I finally started taking it to dealer (5 free changes w/ car) they put 6 qt. in (they said) & stick shows 1/2 in. over full. that is too much over, but no one was concerned . Whats up ? wrong stick? book wrong ? I have 3.8 engine in it . When I was changing it seems like 5 qt. filled it . anyone have same conundrum? I have not seen any evidence that crank is getting into the oil (foam bubbles on stick) maybe I am not driving it hard enough.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,297 Posts
I'm on my first change of 5w30 M1 Truck and SUV oil. I'm just past the 5k mile mark where I change oil. With the heat lately and use of AC the oil will go past 200F every trip. Also in the last week the I've noticed the oil pressure is a bit lower. It was, right off the bat compared to the M1 0w40 I usually ran. My marker is 50 mph/2000 rpm/50 psi. With the 5 w30 it was less than 50, around 49-48. But last night it was down to 44 lbs at 205F. That's when I checked and noticed I'm due for an oil change.

My guess is oil dilution, might have to go to a 4k mile OCI vs the 5K or go back to the 0w40 oil.

I originally went to the 0w40 because of oil testing showing the oil dilution was a problem at 5k miles. But they always said it was still good to use.

It will be interesting to see if the catch can quantity has changed too over this 5k OCI with the 5w30. The oil is rated for 15k miles but fuel dilution will cancel that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm on my first change of 5w30 M1 Truck and SUV oil. I'm just past the 5k mile mark where I change oil. With the heat lately and use of AC the oil will go past 200F every trip. Also in the last week the I've noticed the oil pressure is a bit lower. It was, right off the bat compared to the M1 0w40 I usually ran. My marker is 50 mph/2000 rpm/50 psi. With the 5 w30 it was less than 50, around 49-48. But last night it was down to 44 lbs at 205F. That's when I checked and noticed I'm due for an oil change.

My guess is oil dilution, might have to go to a 4k mile OCI vs the 5K or go back to the 0w40 oil.

I originally went to the 0w40 because of oil testing showing the oil dilution was a problem at 5k miles. But they always said it was still good to use.

It will be interesting to see if the catch can quantity has changed too over this 5k OCI with the 5w30. The oil is rated for 15k miles but fuel dilution will cancel that.
hey red, what is that in the picture by your name ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts