Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running Continental or Michellin all seasons on the Track model? Not real happy with Bridgestone summer only rubber. Have used Conti DWS and Michellin sport plus A/S rubber on previous ride (G35x) with very good results. Suggestions?

·
Gunstar Hero
817 Posts
DWS seems to be pretty popular on the forums. I've never used em so I can't say.

·
Turbo noob
5,514 Posts
I find no All-Seasons are good due to once the temperature hits a certain degree the rubber compound in All-Seasons make them useless in winter.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I find no All-Seasons are good due to once the temperature hits a certain degree the rubber compound in All-Seasons make them useless in winter.
A lot of people,myself included, like to run a high performance all-season as a summer tire so we can get a decent amount of mileage out of them. If you're not tracking this car then an ultra high performance summer only tire is kind of overkill for the street. I always recommend a dedicated winter tire if you see snow or very low temps.

·
Genesis Coupe Sales
1,730 Posts
I love my DWS, the fronts have about 30,000 on them and still in great shape. The rears, well thats my fault, at least my right foots fault. They do amazing in light and moderate snow though

·
Registered
392 Posts
The DWS are a solid choice. The Michelins are an older design now, I wouldn't pay a premium for them at this point in their life.

You might consider getting the DW instead if you don't see any snow, it's a bit silly to run a car like this and stick all seasons on it IMHO. Yonder on that path lies trade-ins and econoboxes. :D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've been reading lots of good things about the Kumho LX Platinum. As long as ultimate grip isn't your #1 priority,but then you shouldn't be looking at all seasons if it is.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the DWS. I like them alot. Just dont expect them to handle much snow at all.

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
Which Michelin's is everyone referring to? The super sports?

I would go with a good summer tire rated well for rain. That will keep you through most of the year. Anything is the 300 wear range will hold up pretty good. The tires that come on the 13 Genny are ridiculous for a stock tire. Any tire below 200 should be for light to moderate track use.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Pilot Sport A/S (the all-season ones), the Super Sports are worth the money if you can afford them.

·
wannabe guru
1,365 Posts
DWS hands down. my friend ran them on his MazdaSpeed 3 dynoed (330whp) and we drove around through 6 of snow on unplowed streets like it was nothing. he also uses them on his Evo

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
Any tire below 200 should be for light to moderate track use.
Except that the OE tires suck for grip too. OP, as it was said before if you don't see snow, get Conti DW. Considerably better, and cheaper than the OE rubber.

·
Registered
440 Posts
DWS hands down. my friend ran them on his MazdaSpeed 3 dynoed (330whp) and we drove around through 6 of snow on unplowed streets like it was nothing. he also uses them on his Evo
Yea idk about that in our car. I tried them on just lightly snow covered road and i wasnt doing too well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rubber formulation with most all season tires has a blend of silica or some other carbon linked compound to provide for grip vs stiffness in sub 45F temps. Are you referring to summer only rubber?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The DWS are a solid choice. The Michelins are an older design now, I wouldn't pay a premium for them at this point in their life.

You might consider getting the DW instead if you don't see any snow, it's a bit silly to run a car like this and stick all seasons on it IMHO. Yonder on that path lies trade-ins and econoboxes. :D
I am in Lexington Ky so we have moderate snow....not much. Temps get well below optimum for summer only rubber though...debating the cost vs benefit of a winter set of rim/tires vs UHP all season, DWS being top on the list. Cost is king....so probably the latter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My 2 cents:
The Continental DW's are very good tires for the price point. The Michelin's are also good tires but the price point is higher. Bang for buck the DW's are an advantage due to price vs performance and why they are so often used and referred to in this forum. The DW's give about 92% of the performance the PS does at a substantial price point per tire.

I would go with something else entirely if my car saw snow or ice for more than just a months of the year. Blizzak seem to be a pretty decent winter tire, but we don't have to drive in snow unless we travel a hour or so up the mountain. As for cold it is routinely high 20' to mid 30's at night and 45-50 during day time in winter, so tire temps really are not a worry either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts