Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Are you looking for sound or performance upgrade? Do you have a budget? Are you planning any other mods? Where do you live?

Before I put the turbo on mine, I had a full ARK from ceramic coated headers to tips with cats removed. Performance was noticeable however I also had added an intake and BTR tune. That YouTube video is nice but doesnt really tell you what its like.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too wanted the ark system on mine , but couldn't spend $1500 on an exhaust system. I ended up going with the Magnaflow catback. I picked it up at hottexhaust.com , paid about $860.00 after a 25% discount.

Couldn't be happier with the results , fit , finish , and sound . The best looking tips of any of the cat backs IMO. Sound is mellow , but louder than I expected after reading other reviews , little to zero drone at cruising speed . This is with the 8-speed auto . Just a beautiful system .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2016 gen ultimate with 8 speed auto. I have the Magna flow cat back exhaust, depo high flow cats, and NGM headers wrapped with DEI fiberglass tape. Super happy with the sound and performance!!! SUPER PERIOD! LOL

·
Registered
782 Posts
lol most open ended question asked on every forum since the dawn of forums.

Youtube sound clips. Research performance gains (if any). Best is subjective.

Reactions: J Long

·
Yoda
136 Posts
I've tried Magnaflow and Borla. Liked both of them, but I think the Borla has the edge for what I want: no drone, low rumble at idle, added power, million mile warranty, turns heads ;) You have to do a lot of research on all of the different systems out there, and be honest about what you really want out of it. If it makes you smile, it was a good choice ;) JAT

·
Registered
509 Posts
Exhaust is unquestionably subjective. Aside from price, everyone has different ideas about what sounds best.

I got an “open box” deal on a Magnaflow on eBay that I just couldn’t pass up. It’s a little mellow for me after a few years so I will likely pull the secondary cats after the holidays and see what that does for it. If it’s too raspy, then I’ll have some resonated test pipes fabricated. Trial and error.

Most guys on the forum seem to prefer much louder sound than I can live with day to day, so I will second the use of You Tube to get a better idea of what meets your expectations.

If I had money to spare I’d opt for the Ferrari resonator install w/ X-pipe, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ark is the best. Period.
Haha, you think "the best" is really an accurate description of ARK's exhaust kits?

I'm sure I've seen a shitter X-pipe than that, I'm just having a hard time recalling where exactly.

There's a reason why ARK doesn't sponsor any form of motorsport and why there are exactly zero race teams out there running with their gear. ARK makes overpriced, heavily polished turds based on the same no-name Chinese-made components that all the other knock-off exhaust companies use.

If you're going to spend the kind of money that ARK wants for one of their kits you might as well go full custom. Then you can get legit, USA-made components from an outfit like Vibrant or Spintech and know that your hard-earned money is supporting American craftsmen rather than the corporate overlords of miserable Chinese wage-slaves.

Good luck, happy tuning!

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
I have a Jun BL exhaust (and had an Ark Grip v1). The Jun is better than the Ark due to a way better X pipe. I had an Ark on my 2.0T and the jun is actually quieter at idle even though it's on a NA 3.8, quieter than the stock exhaust somehow. The only thing Ark has over the Jun is that the Ark is shinier, which really isn't worth a damn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like GC Rider, I too tried Magnaflow and Borla. The Magnaflow had a really good sound, but there was a drone (and that didn't make the wife happy). I have a 3.8 Track with the ZF auto. It might be better with a manual.

I swapped it for the Borla and glad I did. No drone and I get compliments on how the car sounds at just about every track day I go too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too wanted the ark system on mine , but couldn't spend $1500 on an exhaust system. I ended up going with the Magnaflow catback. I picked it up at hottexhaust.com , paid about $860.00 after a 25% discount.

Couldn't be happier with the results , fit , finish , and sound . The best looking tips of any of the cat backs IMO. Sound is mellow , but louder than I expected after reading other reviews , little to zero drone at cruising speed . This is with the 8-speed auto . Just a beautiful system .
Thanks for posting this, hope to get the same after the holiday bills get paid. I need to find some videos of this set up. If I take this to local muffler shop how much do you think installation would run?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a Jun BL exhaust (and had an Ark Grip v1). The Jun is better than the Ark due to a way better X pipe. I had an Ark on my 2.0T and the jun is actually quieter at idle even though it's on a NA 3.8, quieter than the stock exhaust somehow. The only thing Ark has over the Jun is that the Ark is shinier, which really isn't worth a damn.
A legit "Siamese" X-pipe will actually make a true-dual exhaust system run a lot quieter, especially at cruise. When correctly proportioned (as in, not how ARK does it) an X-pipe evens out the power pulses between cylinder banks. This makes for smoother flow and higher exhaust gas velocity which is great for performance, but as an added bonus it cuts out tons of nasty droning noise as well.

The Jun BL kit has a pretty legit X-pipe, as does the Stillen kit (if you can even still get those). X-pipes are so beneficial I think it's crazy to spend the money on a true-dual exhaust system without having a good one included.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Solo performance exhaust

Thanks for posting this, hope to get the same after the holiday bills get paid. I need to find some videos of this set up. If I take this to local muffler shop how much do you think installation would run?
Honestly if ya want to save some time going to get a custom exhaust done I would go with Solo Performance exhaust. They make an amazing exhaust. It's quite at idle and cruise speeds but once you hit the gas the car sounds like a beast. NO DRONE. It's not all polished like the ARK crap but made by a great shop with great service. You can check my quick write up it did on it at musthavemustdo.com its less than $1000 bucks and the quality is TOP NOTCH. So far no issue at all and the fitment is PERFECT. Trust me you won't be disappointed with the quality of this is exhaust. I'm sure anyone that has it can vouch.

Reactions: ICEDcoffee

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got an “open box” deal on a Magnaflow on eBay that I just couldn’t pass up. It’s a little mellow for me after a few years so I will likely pull the secondary cats after the holidays and see what that does for it. If it’s too raspy, then I’ll have some resonated test pipes fabricated. Trial and error.

Update: I put a set of Depo test pipes on last weekend. The volume is now where I want it to be, but alas, the dreaded rasp has shown up. Very mild until past half throttle, and at WOT I really don’t like it at all.

So now I’m on the hunt for a pair of resonated test pipes for a BK2 3.8. Anyone that’s aware of a source for some, I would be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you are willing to spend the money on it, I like to say JUN BL~
I have JUN BL GT exhaust on mine and love the sound of it.
Not too loud at idle, but once you are going, you'll get the sound you are expecting.

Fitment was perfect and never had an issue.

I like to recommend welding the tip though. It was my fault for not checking, but one of the tip fell off and had to get another set.

I was thinking of going with ArK, but wanted to stay KDM~ so JUN BL lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts