Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
#1- Amsoil..#2- Royal Purple, #3 -Mobile 1.
Based on what? Lab testing for wear protection? UOA's?

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

AMSoil's highest ranked oil comes in at 30th, Royal purple only had one (an API SN one at that) and it came in at 83rd. For as highly regarded as those oils are on internet forums, they have highly disappointing rankings.

In order on the Oil Wear Test Ranking, based on availability from Walmart (from the top 10)

#3 . 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula (not recommended if you care about MPG's though)
#4 . 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (gold bottle)
#5 . 5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle)
#7 . 5W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved
#9 . 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved

Of those listed, I'd go with whatever is cheapest and in stock at a local walmart.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There are tons of threads on here about oil. Honestly any of the synthetic oils on the shelf at Walmart are totally fine. Even the non-synthetic oils of today are about as good as the synthetic oils of yesteryear. Make sure it is the proper grade, keep up on your maintenance, and let it warm up before running it hard. That'll take you far in life.

·
Registered
325 Posts
DO NOT USE ROYAL PURPLE IN OUR CARS!

It has been proven to be incompatible with the metallurgy of our motors and will wear your internals.
Royal Purple is an old-school synthetic oil that is low on film strength and high in ZDDP (Zinc dithiophosphate). ZDDP was once king of the hill in terms of high-pressure anti-wear additives. Those days are long gone now though and ZDDP is not as important as it used to be. This is for several reasons.

While ZDDP is a decent anti-wear additive, it has many disadvantages. The main problem with it, especially in modern oil, is that ZDDP is very "surface aggressive." That means it fights to cling to metal surfaces and will push other substances away. So having a lot of ZDDP in a modern motor oil means other additives that could be equally or even more helpful never make it to the metal surfaces in great enough quantity to be as helpful as they should be. Also, the same properties that make ZDDP surface-aggressive also make it corrosive. This is what causes the issues that inirtiamonster is talking about.

This problem with ZDDP isn't specific to the Genesis Coupe. Many modern engines contain much more exotic metallurgy than older engines, making them highly sensitive to corrosion and therefore intolerant of high-ZDDP oils like Royal Purple.

For most modern performance engines you'll want a fairly low viscosity oil (5W-20 or 5W-30, sometimes 0W-40) with high film strength for anti-wear protection and high TBN (total base number) for protection against corrosion and sludge with a longer drain interval (5,000+ miles).

540RAT's oil analysis has been around so long and has been cross-checked by so many people that it can be considered Gospel at this point. Do like Adamantine says and pick any highly-ranked oil from 540RAT's list and you can't go wrong. We use a specialty oil in Project Hoondy, but for all the other cars I work on I've been going with Quaker State Ultimate Durability which has some of the highest film strength ever recorded on 540RAT's scoreboard (124,393 psi!) and it only costs $20 a jug at Wal Mart rather than the $25-$30+ you'll pay for the other premium synthetic brands.

Good luck, happy tuning!

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI, Mobil 1 has a rebate running right now (typically have them twice a year). $24.77 for Mobil 1 from Walmart with a $12 manufacturer rebate means my oil runs me about about $13 per oil change. I usually pick up one or two 5 qt jugs when they run the rebate and just keep around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No prob. Also, if you typically use the OEM oil filters that have the part number 26320-3C30A, they're the same thing as the Mahle OX 351D. You can get them for a few bucks cheaper on RockAuto. My local dealership sells them for about $11, I think the ones on Rock Auto including shipping are $7. Gets cheaper of course if you order multiple in the same order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for the part number. I actually am in the middle (well, technically the tail end) of turbo charging the Genesis. I got an oil cooler that uses a sandwich adapter and a Genesis 2.0L oil filter -it's the spinny kind. Once I figure out the oil cooler....i can start the car up! Out of the entire project the oil cooler is the biggest speed bump... BUT I am almost there! Woo!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh neat.

I kept the car stock until a month ago. (I owned it since 2013 when I bought it new)

I figured 'eh, i need a new project...why not'.

I never had an after market intake. Does the car sound different?? Does it feel any different?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's just the engine air filter that I changed out, not the actual intake. I know there's a debate about drop-in air filters and the extent of their performance improvement, but it's an easy thing to do that will either be the same price or cheaper than using regular filters in the long run. Only thing to watch out for is that you don't overdo it with the oil on the filter. My car sounds better and it feels like the throttle response is better, but I admittedly have no proof that peformance has improved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts