Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues deciding the best way to get a safe reliable way to increase power. I am not trying to break any records just more power for more fun. This is excluding bolt ons as i want to spend a fair chunk of money in order to make sure i get quality parts and gains. At first i thought turbo, probly just 6psi (safe and decent power). I also read about the 4.2l stroker kit (this seems yhe most reliable to me as its only a few part upgrades and forged internals). I would meantion super charger but i cannot find a production one for sale and i heard they dont fit well in the engine bay plus its just forced induction like turbo. The next way is to engine swap bit this costs alot of money and isnt always the most reliable. if you guys have any thoughts on these mods or have any you would like to share i would love to hear it

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
4th rear diff mount,75 shot nitrous and other known supporting mods .If going for the $5,000 stroker kit then might as well do a engine swap .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Depending how deep your pockets are will dictate your build criteria . After selling all of my OEM parts and doing my own fab and work I spent around $10,000 .This has given me a realistic fast drag and road race capable Gen Coupe that has Ran good #'s at the track and has beat some high end domestic offerings on the streets .I am not the fastest but by far I'm not the slowest .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@shorttrack I want to go for a more well rounded build power is not my main focus (i much prefer handeling and grip) but that dosnt mean i do not want some extra ponys under the hood, that is why im looking for a reliable upgrade to the engine

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,057 Posts
Yo, Shorts up here is right. Cheap power in this car begins and ends with nitrous. EVERYTHING else is expensive and hard fought. However, you can build a capable road car without touching the engine. 4th diff mount for sure, trans and engine mounts, a durable limited slip differential, a set of 4.181 final drive gears, a 1-piece driveshaft, a single mass flywheel+clutch, and a tune. You won't smash egos at a drag strip, but you'll have a good machine for the twisties. All this is in the $5k range.

I figure good tires and suspension are obvious and tailored to personal tastes so I'll leave that to your imagination. Exhaust and intake won't do much, likely get you 10% bump to the wheels; 20-30hp? Headers and the proper spacer might bring that to about +50 total with a custom dyno tune. Probably top out about $3k to $4k. That's a whole lot of cash to get to 290whp, and after that it's serious money time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Odelagt this car is not very friendly when it comes to engine mods i guess thats why information on it is so scarce. Im not looking for cheap though I do not like NOS becauase correct me if im wrong its not constant power unless its flowing into the intake. I want something always there but dosnt do much in the way of making it unreliable just like 100+ or more for added fun

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Turbo kit can be plenty reliable if you go forged internals. Stock piston rings are weak to boost but will survive a while. Do your build in stages, and, I recommend you button down the chassis/suspension/wheels/tires so you can handle the power first. There's nothing more humiliating than dropping $10k on a turbo kit and still getting smoked cuz you couldn't get the power down.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
@Odelagt this car is not very friendly when it comes to engine mods i guess thats why information on it is so scarce. Im not looking for cheap though I do not like NOS becauase correct me if im wrong its not constant power unless its flowing into the intake. I want something always there but dosnt do much in the way of making it unreliable just like 100+ or more for added fun
I would venture to say with confidence I could beat 85% of all Gen Coupes running a Turbo system while running mine on all motor .The other 13% "fast Gen Coupes"I would kill with the "GAS" spraying .The 2% are Gen Coupes such as the 10.50 et @ 130 Plus MPH or GC's I don't know about that have went into their engines with supporting mods that truly understand total combinations in setting up their cars to run the #'s (a select few) I could not beat .To note :to hell with 3.909:1 gears ,go for the 4.18:1 gears and etc .Get the suspension situated and would hazard our platform could run in the high 12's on motor ,no gas or force induction needed .HP #'s ain't $hit if you can't hook it to the street/track .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Not Knocking Turbo systems but With the amount of cost for such a system anyone could get their GC to run good on motor .It is understood that I have pretty much my own shop at my home to do what is needed to get my GC to perform,anyone can do the same .Something simple like water injection alone will bring intake manifold temps down from 130 plus degs (not talking IAT ) allowing more dense cooler air intake which = more HP .If there was a forum member near me with computer abilities I would let that person go over my car and take pic's to allow those pic's to be submitted to this forum with a description of the mod and the result of performance .My mods are straight forward simple and work . I could exchange Tel # to text pic's to a member that would post pic's .Many that I have helped and sent pic's to , not 1 has posted pic's to help fellow members .

·
Irresponsible Rookie
71 Posts
Read this thread:
https://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-discussion-2013-up/519338-how-3-8-performance-upgrade-path.html

Then this one:
https://www.gencoupe.com/3-8-v6-discussion-2013-up/717697-how-build-your-3-8-upgrade-path-v2.html

Then hit up Dustin at 3point8 Performance. He can get you a CAI, port your heads, throttle body, and intake manifold. And also tune your car.
https://3point8performance.com/product-category/hyundai/genesis-coupe/bk1-38-v6/

He is also doing a sale on the Tros throttle controller for $130 shipped (great deal), this will let you have some more fun for the time being.

You could also get some higher flow headers and maybe a custom 2.5" header-back exhaust

If you do all of these, you could probably gain at least 50+ hp (a huge difference) and be more reliable than any engine swap, and cost WAY less than a swap or stroker kit. If this isn't enough for you, then maybe go stroker. But at this point you will be reliable enough.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Stroker crank ='s faster piston speed vs non stroke crank .You build a stroker you better find a shop that knows what they are doing . Connecting Rod bearing life will be shortened .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
You can get these car to run very well.I can hang with the majority of domestic offerings on motor and for the high end sports models cars I flip the switch and spray . My car as it is I built to handle curves and dragstrip duties .Go to the Nitrous on a GDI 3.8 - page 16 post 306 and there you will see what my car looked like 4 years ago .I changed a lot on the car since then .Street/strip/curves all day .

·
Premium Member
14,844 Posts
I would start off with a stroker kit, and larger valves. This way you'll have a better base to build on.
With this, you're going to have to get:
Larger injectors
higher flow fuel pump
and run higher oct fuel
on an aftermarket tune

I don't recall the 3.8 having any issues with the stock internals, unlike the bk1 2.0 engines, but a stroker kit will replace all of those parts anyways.
If you can, try to find some better than OEM conrod bearings and main bearings. I haven't been looking of what aftermarket internals are available for the 3.8.

Later on you can add forced induction.
But... IMO once you sink that much money into it, running costs will be much higher, and would be cheaper in the long run to swap the engine with something in the range of power you are looking for.

Swapping in say a LS engine, isn't that hard mechanically, if you have access to a welder. It's tying the electricals that people have gotten hung up on. To that I say yank out the wiring/computers, and put in ones that match the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts