Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to the Genesis community here. I have recently bought a 2010 bk1 2.0t with an exhaust and intake and BTR tune on it. The previous owner had a stage 4 ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel in the car, and daily driving it had been horrendous, especially since i’m newer to driving manual. Do I just swap to ACTs Perf Street Sprung Disc and keep the ACT pressure plate and flywheel?

I was told to swap to a BK2 OEM clutch/flywheel but i can not find one for less than $740... I also saw in the gencoupe store a BK2 Valeo HD kit with flywheel for around $740, and to my understanding that means that it has a heavy duty pressure plate in it, which means it’s better than the BK2 OEM? Any and all suggestions for new clutch setups would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have also heard good things about the Competition Clutch Stage 2 kit. How does it compare to a stock clutch in terms of engagement and daily drivability? It seems most people would prefer the single mass flywheel, but i want to know if the $850 plus labor to have it installed it really worth it.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
112 Posts
I personally have the ACT Street Perf Clutch, HD Pressure Plate and Streetlite Flywheel. I like the setup, it feels great.
However, it was quite expensive. I'm not sure it's worth the money.
In my honest opinion man, I would just tell you to tough it out. That's a great clutch. You should just give it time to get used to it.
If you really feel that it needs to go, I recommend the Valeo Kit from gencoupestore. I sometimes kick myself for not knowing about it when I bought my setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally have the ACT Street Perf Clutch, HD Pressure Plate and Streetlite Flywheel. I like the setup, it feels great.
However, it was quite expensive. I'm not sure it's worth the money.
In my honest opinion man, I would just tell you to tough it out. That's a great clutch. You should just give it time to get used to it.
If you really feel that it needs to go, I recommend the Valeo Kit from gencoupestore. I sometimes kick myself for not knowing about it when I bought my setup.
Thanks for the response! I know that the clutch is really good, but i just feel it’s a bit overkill for the car. It’s my daily driver, so i end up in lots of stop and go traffic. I fear that i’ll end up burning the clutch out within 20k miles of this is what i keep in the car. Additionally, this is my first manual car i’ve owned, i’ve driven friends cars but i’m still pretty inexperienced. getting used to this so far has been a pretty difficult experience to say the least

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless you have 500 hp the best BK1 set up is the OE BK2 setup hands down!
The kit that is on the Gencouoe store is not OE correct? The new OE clutches I found on ebay we’re going for around $780, which is super expensive! I’m willing to bite the bullet but yeesh!

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,970 Posts
The kit that is on the Gencouoe store is not OE correct? The new OE clutches I found on ebay we’re going for around $780, which is super expensive! I’m willing to bite the bullet but yeesh!
You have to get the matching flywheel. I bought a used one for the cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to get the matching flywheel. I bought a used one for the cheap on ebay.
okay, you’re advising against getting the optional one that you can get with the kit? i can get one new with the kit in the gencoupe store but it brings the price of the kit up from $269 up to $719. you think i can find one on ebay for less?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry if i’m asking dumb questions but I wanna make damn well sure I get this right the first time around and not burn an even bigger hole i’m my pocket

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,275 Posts
I have a similar clutch kit as the Valeo HD above, I think my combo is Valeo HD clutch+BK2 flywheel. My power mods are PowerAxel tune+ Intake (+/-250ft.tq). Over 100 000km on it and near perfect drivability and no slip at all since. It basically brings your BK1 to BK2 capacity in term of torque holding capacity with OEM drivability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a similar clutch kit as the Valeo HD above, I think my combo is Valeo HD clutch+BK2 flywheel. My power mods are PowerAxel tune+ Intake (+/-250ft.tq). Over 100 000km on it and near perfect drivability and no slip at all since. It basically brings your BK1 to BK2 capacity in term of torque holding capacity with OEM drivability.
Thanks a lot! I have narrowed it down to the OEM Valeo Kit for the BK2 or the Valeo HD Kit offered on the Gencoupe store. You say the HD option is still like-OEM in terms of daily driving? I live in Phoenix so traffic is an everyday occurrence for me. The HD makes me nervous just because of the increased clamp force, since the pedal might be heavier and engagement is less smooth. Is that the case?

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,275 Posts
Thanks a lot! I have narrowed it down to the OEM Valeo Kit for the BK2 or the Valeo HD Kit offered on the Gencoupe store. You say the HD option is still like-OEM in terms of daily driving? I live in Phoenix so traffic is an everyday occurrence for me. The HD makes me nervous just because of the increased clamp force, since the pedal might be heavier and engagement is less smooth. Is that the case?
I'm sorry for my slow response. It is as close to OEM feel as it can be I would say. No aftermarket solution will give you this level of everyday drivability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry for my slow response. It is as close to OEM feel as it can be I would say. No aftermarket solution will give you this level of everyday drivability.
I ended up going with the Valeo HD kit, and I couldn’t be more pleased. It feels great compared to the peppy but unstreetable ACT clutch that was in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
help me solve my clutch problem for hyundai genesis coupe 2011 year 2.0t 214hp 6-speed manual transmission. i need a whole set of clutches without a hydro bearing. does anyone know if he can make another set ie replacement OE. my OE flywheel number is 232002c010 can another flywheel number or the whole set of clutches match my starter and suspension?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,970 Posts
I would go to the OEM BK2 set up if you have to replace the flywheel or if you have added power. It's all direct fit but can handle a lot more HP. And always replace the slave cylinder as it is not serviceable without removing the trans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts