Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this for almost 2 months. I cant be the only person that wants gauges to monitor my 3.8 in my BK1.

where should I place the sensors for the oil gauge ?
where should I place the sensor for my fuel pressure gauge?
what is the best placement for my water temp gauge?

I cant find anyone installing aftermarket gauges in our cars. The fact that it only comes with a water temp gauge concerns me. I have placed three 2" gauges in the lower area of my center stack for around 20 bucks. Pics on the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I must be the only person running aftermarket gauges in the BK1 Gen Coupe? What ever you do dont pay 175 for the pod, they sale these on ebay for less than 20. Ended up going with the top angles metal holder, fits perfect in the lower slot and angled toward driver for viewing. Oil pressure, A/F and Fuel pressure OR water temp since BK1 gauge is a joke!

Attachments

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
I have gauges but it's the 2L. Oil temp I drilled and tapped in the filter adapter. Pressure I got a special tee fitting for the OE port, I use to have water temp at the back of the head next to the OE sender but it never agreed with the OE reading so I had to take it out, not putting up with that. AF I run in a welded in bung after the OE second sensor. Still too close for the Bosch sensor as it gets too hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, so on 3.8 had a different oil filter housing but I did see that you did yours that way. On my Crossfires they put it in the end of the oil filter cap, screwed the sensor in after tapping it for the 1/8 so I will try that as mentioned. I remember reading about your placement of the water temp sensor not being correct but you had mentioned a 2nd location that would be better. Pass side toward the rear, do you feel like that is a better place for the sensor?

Thanks for the input on the wideband sensor because that is exactly where I was going to weld my bung, it's what I read. go a few inches back from the front pass o2, if that is to close where will you put it next time? I will have to put a BIG X so these yahoo's don't mess it up. do you think a little farther back will be better?

My big question is fuel the hard line comes up drivers' side with a 6an end and a flex line (plastic) is about 8" long and the other end bolt to another hardline. I was thinking about Teeing into that line but since it is not a return system you can't adjust the FP anyway so I may just go oil, a/f and water and when I do decide to run a return line with the FPR delete so I can adjust the pressure I can T it then. On the 3.8 the oil filter housing plastic and it's not advised to tap into it BUT Mishimoto makes an adaptor with places for sensors and you can use a reg oil filter which they are saying is better. Love it but not paying 250 which is what they get. I would not have paid 500 for the radiator but I got it cheap and it is pretty to look at. Thanks

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
The Bosch sensors the Innovate uses can't a take the heat. Not necessarily the case with others.
If you don't look at the OBD2 water temp data then it doesn't matter if itis the same. But I would put it somewhere near the OE sensor or just before the t-stat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just replaced the water sensor and being old school was going to go with a colder thermostat, just by habit. reading up on it I guess I will stay with oem thermostat. I will just place the gauge sensor in that area. I have been using torque app with the MX doggle studying the car and the water gauge is a joke, mine is one line under all the time once in closed loop. . all I know is the fan turns on at 201 and cools to 195 quick with the app read. I think my A/F is A&M or A&E , I will look to see what brand the sensors are. About to install 1 in the Gen and my Ecob00st 2.7. Any input on Teeing into that hard plastic line for a fuel sensor? Or some place safe I can ? The pic is showing one I believe that is used in the kit to have the return line. The OEM line bolts in and is maybe a 1/4 inch plastic hose, can you cut and T those?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I attached a aftermarket unit and it looks like they have a sensor inline. OEM is hard plastic, 2 bolts at the fuel rail, AN fitting at the hard line from the back. If I can T there without have to go with a custom line. I found that at the same vendor that sells the FPR delete, its 100, the line you see here is a few hundred, the Kit is like 700

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bosch sensors the Innovate uses can't a take the heat. Not necessarily the case with others.
If you don't look at the OBD2 water temp data then it doesn't matter if itis the same. But I would put it somewhere near the OE sensor or just before the t-stat.
I have the same Innovate A/F setup with the bosch sensors so I will rethink where I place it on the exhaust. For the water temp sensor I need to find a adaptor to put where the factory sensor is but you had mentioned that the threads are not standard npt size? I would rather use the electric gauge than the probe style you stick in the hose. Is that what you tried? I just replaced my sensor so will use the old one to try and find the correct thread size.

Fuel pressure is another story but both the 2.0 and 3.8 have the same flex line that I will replace but this is uncharted territory for me. Piranha sells an adaptor that allows use of 6an for the end that attaches to the hard line and the end that bolts to the fuel rail so I assume its not 6an from factory, if not what size is it?

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
6AN sounds right. Here is the fitting I had to buy to screw into the adapter I had that tees in to the hard line/soft line.
Edelbrock/Russell 670340 Red and Blue Anodized Aluminum -6AN Fuel Pressure Take Off Fitting

The water temp I drilled and tapped in to the water manifold on the back of the head. The location was in the flow and within a couple inches of the OE but read way different.

·
I'd rather do it myself
20,101 Posts
My sensors last about two or three years then the AF display starts to show 50:1 and needs to be power cycled. I have a copper heat sink around it for air cooling. It's just behind the second factory O2 sensor location. It's a turbo and no cat too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6AN sounds right. Here is the fitting I had to buy to screw into the adapter I had that tees in to the hard line/soft line.
Edelbrock/Russell 670340 Red and Blue Anodized Aluminum -6AN Fuel Pressure Take Off Fitting

The water temp I drilled and tapped in to the water manifold on the back of the head. The location was in the flow and within a couple inches of the OE but read way different.
Ordered this Edelbrock/Russell 670340 Red and Blue Anodized Aluminum -6AN Fuel Pressure now, I have been reading post to see if you did a write up on Teeing into the fuel line and cant find one. I will keep looking and thank you so much for the help, decided to keep the car now and just want it enjoy the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really would like to go E85 soon, we have it at all the stations around my house. I have always used an adjustable Regulator to play with the FP for the best A/F ratio. From reading I see the pump is strong in these cars but If I am running a return line then I might as well replace the in tank pump while there. Car is at 194k miles.

I see they are selling the 520cc injectors for 400 shipped which are needed to go E85 and I have found several injectors that will work in my car. My SLK injectors were around the same size as my Gen around 300cc flow and you could go with a 400cc injector without needing a tune. Either way I am about to pull the OEM units, not sure what I will put in their place. I am at a crossroad with the car now but our 1/8th mile strip is shut down until next month so I have time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found some injectors that are 12 ohm, have the same plug and are the same size as stock and flow 360cc per hour that I might try in place of the OEM 320cc units. Most ECM's can deal with around 30 percent larger injectors without getting a tune so I should be in the ballpark. I dont plan on getting a Tune until I have all my mods completed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts