Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a 2.0T gen coupe in the next couple months, from what I understand the bk2 2013+ models have 8 speed auto. Bk1's have a 5 speed auto?

I have seen something about 2011-2012 bk1 models having 8 speed? Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
15,461 Posts
I am planning on getting a 2.0T gen coupe in the next couple months, from what I understand the bk2 2013+ models have 8 speed auto. Bk1's have a 5 speed auto?

I have seen something about 2011-2012 bk1 models having 8 speed? Can anyone confirm this?
BK1 "3.8" comes with a ZF (not made by hyundai) 8 speed auto trans.

BK2 both 2.0 and 3.8 comes with hyundai's own 8 speed auto, with different gearing for their respected engine.
These transmissions are suspected to be basically copies of the ZF, but not built to the same standards.

The BK1 ZF transmissions had their own set of issues, but by now most of the issues would have been fixed, replaced, or lemon'd.

Ironically, from what I recall, the BK1 2.0 5 speed hyundai transmissions have had the least number of issues.

The MAIN issue with the automatics in these cars (both 8 speeds, and 5 speeds) besides weight, is the transmissions computer tune.
When in dummy shift mode, it basically treats all inputs as "suggestions".
To point out that it's the tune, basically the same transmission are in some mercades models, and have zero issues with this.

I suspect hyundai did this, just so it wouldn't wear things down too quickly. Torque applied too quickly, is usually what ends up breaking stuff.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
ZF transmission was 6spd not 8 spd in bk1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: -fritz-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BK1 "3.8" comes with a ZF (not made by hyundai) 8 speed auto trans.

BK2 both 2.0 and 3.8 comes with hyundai's own 8 speed auto, with different gearing for their respected engine.
These transmissions are suspected to be basically copies of the ZF, but not built to the same standards.

The BK1 ZF transmissions had their own set of issues, but by now most of the issues would have been fixed, replaced, or lemon'd.

Ironically, from what I recall, the BK1 2.0 5 speed hyundai transmissions have had the least number of issues.

The MAIN issue with the automatics in these cars (both 8 speeds, and 5 speeds) besides weight, is the transmissions computer tune.
When in dummy shift mode, it basically treats all inputs as "suggestions".
To point out that it's the tune, basically the same transmission are in some mercades models, and have zero issues with this.

I suspect hyundai did this, just so it wouldn't wear things down too quickly. Torque applied too quickly, is usually what ends up breaking stuff.
Thank you for replying, this has been very helpful. In terms of fun-ness, which would you prefer? The 8speed or 6speed, my current car is a 5speed automatic and i feel automatic gets old really quick. I feel with a exhaust and a tune the 8speed would be alot more fun. ( In terms of cash i can only afford a bk1, so i would have to swap the transmission. )

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thank you for replying, this has been very helpful. In terms of fun-ness, which would you prefer? The 8speed or 6speed, my current car is a 5speed automatic and i feel automatic gets old really quick. I feel with a exhaust and a tune the 8speed would be alot more fun. ( In terms of cash i can only afford a bk1, so i would have to swap the transmission. )
In 2014 when shopping for my new Coupe i had every intention of purchasing the six speed manual, until i test drove one. Ive always had manuals so their not foreign to me, i personally diddent care for the feel of the clutch or shifter on the coupe, that combined with the gear grind issues i read about made me choose the eight speed auto. Would the manual be more fun to drive? Proably if it had a better feel to the clutch and shifter, (theres lots of information here on fixes such as stiffer transmission mounts, different fluids, and shifter bushings,) For myself im satisfied with my auto and not havi g to deal with those issues. Try get a test drive in both and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 2014 when shopping for my new Coupe i had every intention of purchasing the six speed manual, until i test drove one. Ive always had manuals so their not foreign to me, i personally diddent care for the feel of the clutch or shifter on the coupe, that combined with the gear grind issues i read about made me choose the eight speed auto. Would the manual be more fun to drive? Proably if it had a better feel to the clutch and shifter, (theres lots of information here on fixes such as stiffer transmission mounts, different fluids, and shifter bushings,) For myself im satisfied with my auto and not havi g to deal with those issues. Try get a test drive in both and see what works best for you.
Honestly I think i'll just push straight for the 8speed, none of the cars I have owned had paddle shifts and I would like to experience them with a full exhaust/cai/tune etc. I'm pretty sure anyone who got the 8speed and decided to mod their car does not entirely regret their decision. As for the 6speed manual, I have drove a few of my friends cars for fun but as far as owning a manual I highly doubt i would enjoy that. Where i live is heavy heavy traffic, I live on a island that is over populated so you can already get a idea of how that would go.

I wouldn't mind dumping some money into this car, I have a 2007 VW Rabbit 2.5, SUPER UNRELIABLE I have been left on the road side many times, Transmission issues, interior falling apart.
So if i have to dump some money in the gen to have fun but to also make it reliable and not break, I will do just that.

Transmission for gen coupes dont seem that expensive I have read a bunch of pages on this forum. Can find a 8speed trans for around $600 (will have to clear the transmission at customs which will be around $300 additional bucks) and get it installed for around $500 (The island is pretty **** in labor cost). Do you recommend sticking to the 6 speed auto trans or switching to 8speed auto. (Whichever brings me more fun).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have only experienced the 8 speed but i doubt the 6 speed would be any less "fun". A few things i did to improve my experience with the 8 speed auto was a engine leash, (more solid feel), Sprint V3 throttle booster, (helps close up the gap between 3rd and 4th), and larger aluminum paddles, (mostly just because i think they look cool 😁).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Honestly I think i'll just push straight for the 8speed, none of the cars I have owned had paddle shifts and I would like to experience them with a full exhaust/cai/tune etc. I'm pretty sure anyone who got the 8speed and decided to mod their car does not entirely regret their decision. As for the 6speed manual, I have drove a few of my friends cars for fun but as far as owning a manual I highly doubt i would enjoy that. Where i live is heavy heavy traffic, I live on a island that is over populated so you can already get a idea of how that would go.

I wouldn't mind dumping some money into this car, I have a 2007 VW Rabbit 2.5, SUPER UNRELIABLE I have been left on the road side many times, Transmission issues, interior falling apart.
So if i have to dump some money in the gen to have fun but to also make it reliable and not break, I will do just that.

Transmission for gen coupes dont seem that expensive I have read a bunch of pages on this forum. Can find a 8speed trans for around $600 (will have to clear the transmission at customs which will be around $300 additional bucks) and get it installed for around $500 (The island is pretty **** in labor cost). Do you recommend sticking to the 6 speed auto trans or switching to 8speed auto. (Whichever brings me more fun).
Since 6spd auto only comes on BK1 track package and 8 spd comes only on BK2 - you need to first figure out if you can afford BK2 model.

Yes, bk2 Genesis will be better choise over bk1 in terms of interior, stock power and acceleration.

If you are force to ether go with fully loaded bk1 track 6 auto vs base model bk2 with 8apd due to funds - go with bk1 track.
All the extras that make Track trim will make you enjoy your car more then faster acceleration.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
788 Posts
And with a few simple mods the BK1 Track is nearly as fast as the BK2. I love mine with the 6 speed ZF. The gearing is just about perfect. Who needs 3 overdrive gears?

If you try to convert a BK1 to an 8 speed, you are looking at bunches of cost and fitment issues. The BK1 , especially the 2.0t was built with a 5 speed auto, not a 6 or an 8 speed. You're looking at a bunch of modifications to get it to fit, if you can get it to fit.

Reactions: lvdukerider

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since 6spd auto only comes on BK1 track package and 8 spd comes only on BK2 - you need to first figure out if you can afford BK2 model.

Yes, bk2 Genesis will be better choise over bk1 in terms of interior, stock power and acceleration.

If you are force to ether go with fully loaded bk1 track 6 auto vs base model bk2 with 8apd due to funds - go with bk1 track.
All the extras that make Track trim will make you enjoy your car more then faster acceleration.

I was looking at BK2's the cheapest I can find is around $10,000 with alot of miles, where I live there is only 5 Genesis on island, 4 Bk1 and 1 Bk2. We have to order the cars from Japan, ordering it from anywhere else we will have to pay alot of extra money. My budget is $8500, I found a 2011 bk1 2.0T with 36,000 miles for $8400, so im pushing towards that. I wanted a BK2 over the BK1 because the interior is WAY better looking, it comes with factory gauges and alot more horsepower. But I guess ill just have to mod the BK1 to get the results im looking for, planning for at least 280hp nothing massive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And with a few simple mods the BK1 Track is nearly as fast as the BK2. I love mine with the 6 speed ZF. The gearing is just about perfect. Who needs 3 overdrive gears?

If you try to convert a BK1 to an 8 speed, you are looking at bunches of cost and fitment issues. The BK1 , especially the 2.0t was built with a 5 speed auto, not a 6 or an 8 speed. You're looking at a bunch of modifications to get it to fit, if you can get it to fit.
Iguess ill scratch the 8speed conversion, not trying to put a hole in my pocket. I guess ill play with the 5 speed auto until i get bored, then maybe manual swap it in the future.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Iguess ill scratch the 8speed conversion, not trying to put a hole in my pocket. I guess ill play with the 5 speed auto until i get bored, then maybe manual swap it in the future.
I have the 5 speed auto and while reliable its really not the way to go. if your going for Bk1 2.0 take the manual, if you cant 'do' a manual go for v6 with ZF. Seriously avoid the 5 sped as it makes the car feel numb and slow saying from experience.

Paddles on hydraulic automatic don't do to much - i was going with the same assumption, since all my cars were manual i wanted to try paddle shifting. Hoping for quick and responsive shiftes, even watched YT where ppl. were saying this is insta change gear - well it kind of sucks - trans generally is laggy and torque converter decuples the gas peedal feel form what the car actually is doing. There are some moments when its fun, but generally they have a lot of lag and give a lot less feel thatn MT.

Maybe DCT would do better idk but 5 speed in 2.0 is a no no

·
Premium Member
15,461 Posts
Is it possible to bolt up the 8speed to a bk1 3.8? It has to be possible
Easily....no
What I mean is, the easiest and shortest amount of time spent, you would have to get a wrecked bk2 and pretty much have to swap everything over, including ALL wiring and even the AC system.
basically a chassis swap. You can probably get away with not swapping the body harness wiring, but everything from the dash forward would need to be swapped

1 - 15 of 15 Posts