Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two transmission problems i've been dying to find the answer to. I used to own a blue bk1 automatic 2.0 a few years back with the 5at. it drove perfect but once a week it would randomly either start jerking and when you put it into manual mode it would say D on the dash when it was supposed to say what gear it was in. the transmission would change gears and you can feel the jerk and loss of power. when you shut the car off and turn it on again it drove fine like a brand new car. The second problem was while driving once a week at random, the car would get really slow on acceleration and make all types of whistling noises like if it had a huge turbo sucking wind, when you placed the car into sport mode during this moment it would say 4 on the gear. The problem would not stop until you shut the car off and when it was turned back on it drove fine like a brand new car. the car had two check engine codes doe incorrect gear ratio on the transmission. I was wondering if this is a costly fix or simple fix because i'm purchasing another one and the seller said it has the first transmission problem i mentioned. Hoping for great answers! :grin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bought another gen today. it randomly started jerking on the freeway like the seller said. When i put it in manual mode it says D, when its supposed to say the gear its in. When i shut the car off it disappears and drives normal. got the car for a steal. my other tuned genesis is lightening quick and no engine or transmission issues or codes same year and everything. thinking it could be because the fluid might have never been changed.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,965 Posts
I change my transmission fluid every 45k miles. At 90k I added an external filter/magnet to it. I have over 100k miles and my transmission works like new. Anything that rotates and goes through heating cycles will destroy any lubricating fluid. My wife's Elantra had her fluid changed at around 45k too. I would say do a drain / fill and see what happens. You will need 6 quarts at around $12 / quart. The levelling procedure is pretty simple and to fill you just need a funnel with a long hose. I would think all this would be on this forum already. If not I will provide the basic procedure and what to remove.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To everyone who is wondering. it was 3 quarts low. i added 3 quarts and it shifts like butter. lets hope there isn't a leak that i will find later

·
Registered
237 Posts
So adding the fluid fixed the issue? I'm curious as I've never heard of this problem but i would've initially thought it to be something related to the software aspect and needing a reflash or something. Especially when restarting the car would temporarily fix it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on this genesis i bought it with a transmission that felt like hot garbage. after buying it for 2k and driving it 200 miles home the engine started to misfire. i changed the spark plug and it fixed the problem. and when this car was not in limp it would drive bad and when it went in limp it was horrible. the old genesis that would mess up probobly was just 1 quart low of fluid. the car now for the first time has power to spin tires still cant believe the transmission was good. alot of places told me it was bad and to change it. was thinking at 80k it has a possibility of saving. its not like its 150k miles and has a trans problem

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah adding the fluid fixed everything. only thing wrong with that car now is the motor mount. it vibrates lightly when the ac is on.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,965 Posts
Three quarts low? That seems very odd, because at one quart low it would be slipping, overheating and breaking-down pretty quickly. You would also have an obvious leak. If you do a drain and fill it takes five quarts and then you do levelling procedure to get to the right level. Honestly at three quarts low I would not expect that your car would even move as you would not have enough fluid in your torque converter. If is overfilled the fluid will foam and destroy the transmission over time. You did the procedure outlined in the service guide, right? I am just worried as something does not sound right here. The BK1 5 speed is a good tranny despite the hate because it does not have 18 speeds. Like the hate on the FRS because it does not have a 3 second 0 to 60 time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idk the mechanic made me buy 3 quarts. hope he didn't overfill, and also hope he didn't steal the fluid. car runs fine at the moment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts