Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, but haven't found much info...

So, I got tuned a few months back and my clutch is slipping like crazy.

I was able to find a BK2 FW & clutch setup, used with 10k on it, for $325 so I grabbed it.

My question is: I'm assuming I need a new throw out bearing but do I get one for a BK2 (which I think is correct) or one for a BK1?

Also, do I have to have the FW resurfaced/machined?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok, awesome. Thanks Red...I should have just PM'd you. lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking on Rock...they have two available...one is an Auto7 make for $76 and the other is one by Centric for double the price. I assume the Auto7 one would work just fine?

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
Looking on Rock...they have two available...one is an Auto7 make for $76 and the other is one by Centric for double the price. I assume the Auto7 one would work just fine?
Red already addressed this, just read it again.

Same part. Rockauto and the Auto7 one is the cheapest. They are all the same too no matter who is selling them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake, quickly read his response. Oops!

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
The Bk2 clutch is better and will hold more power. Less issues with the DM flywheel too it appears. Both fit assuming all matched parts. The TOB/Slave cylinder is the same over both generations.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The other difference is the teeth on the starter ring.
at least on the 3.8, i didnt pay attention to which you had, or if you even mentioned it

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
The other difference is the teeth on the starter ring.
at least on the 3.8, i didnt pay attention to which you had, or if you even mentioned it
I heard for the 2L that the BK2 starter is different but though it was just shorter so it can come out without taking the motor mount out. But have not heard of any incompatibility as the BK2 starter fits the BK1, or so I've heard.

Are the starter teeth what the crank sensor is looking at?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Here's the BK1 starter ring teeth.

And here is the BK2 starter ring teeth.

I was told when I bought my clutch from Comp Clutch that the starter ring had a different number of teeth. Which would explain why people whoput the BK1 clutch kit in the BK2 without a BK1 starter have a weird metal on metal 'tang' noise when they start it. Luigi has a BK1 kit on his BK2, it works perfectly fine, just sounds weird when you start the car

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I'm missing something but why would anyone put a BK1 clutch in a BK2? The BK1 clutch is ****. Mine was slipping on the dyno on the first pull after tuning it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The BK2 came with more HP from the factory.
Oh, I know, but I'm trying to figure out why anyone would put a BK1 clutch into a BK2? That's what his post says.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
I had the BK2 clutch put in m BK1. Much better than the Competition Clutch I had which I put in when my OE BK1 clutch started slipping. Seems to be a bit grabby now. I need to adjust my clutch cylinder rod so it releases closer to the floor.

But 1000X better than the Competition Clutch.

·
The whistles go WOO! WOO!
829 Posts
I always figured I'd upgrade to the BK2 clutch/DMF when mine finally goes.. So I like to keep an eye on these threads.

So if I'm reading this right, ideally one would also replace the starter? If the teeth on the V6 BK1 and BK2 starter rings don't match up, presumably this is going to eventually result in failure?

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I recently had to buy a used OEM 2010 flywheel to get my 011 Genesis couple out of the shop. It make's a lot of noise when cranking the engine so I'm thinking about just buying a new flywheel and having it installed in case the used one is in worse shape than I thought. So if I'm understanding correctly I can get a 2014 2.0L flywheel and it will be compatible with the clutch kit that I just bought and should fit just fine right?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
So I recently had to buy a used OEM 2010 flywheel to get my 011 Genesis couple out of the shop. It make's a lot of noise when cranking the engine so I'm thinking about just buying a new flywheel and having it installed in case the used one is in worse shape than I thought. So if I'm understanding correctly I can get a 2014 2.0L flywheel and it will be compatible with the clutch kit that I just bought and should fit just fine right?
What clutch kit did you get?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts