Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...

I have been chomping at the bit to get this build thread started but my parts all came in at the VERY last possible minute and I have been wrenching like a crackhead trying to get everything put on the car.

Parts List

Comp 6267 (T3) Triple Ball Bearing Turbo
PowerLab Top Mount Twin Scroll Manifold
PowerLab Downpipe
PowerLab Dump Tubes
2 x Tial MV-S Wastegates
ISR Mid Section
Agency Power Catback

Everything else is stock... stock fuel, intercooler, head... etc. For now

BTR is having a tuning event tomorrow (March 18) and I have overnighted every part mention above.

I ordered the manifold 7 weeks ago, ordered the turbo 5 weeks ago and they BARELY got done in time; hence, the reason I had to have everything overnighted.

Be kind, lol, this is my first build of any kind really. My first time posting in a build thread. I am at work making this write up so I will be posting throughout the day so no one is left cliffhanging. All pics are on my phone, so I will upload pics from that!

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After all my parts came in (what I thought was going to be everything I needed), I quickly began dry fitting everything. Starting with the manifold... FML. First snag I hit was the hard coolant lines just below the exhaust manifold. The new manifold hit the coolant line running to the heater core, not allowing me to properly bolt the manifold to the head. I thought about prying them back, but I would have needed to pry them about an inch toward the block. For fear of them breaking at the water pump, I cut the lines with a cutting wheel and fixed two rubber hoses with very tight clamps and double wrapped the hoses with heat tape. I then took my factory heat shield (covering the factory exhaust manifold) and strategically wrapped it around the hoses as well.

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During all of this, I employed the help of a local shop and racing guru, Doug of DTTR LLC Inc. to fab up a -3 oil feed line I could use to fit to the factory oil feed location. Again, everything was overnighted. I believe someone even drove over from the Indianapolis area to had deliver this part... Awesome guys they are!! So, i mock up the turbo, get everything clocked the way I need it to and I run into my next snag. There's a fuse box attached to the strut tower that was in the way of mounting one of my external wastegates. I then needed to figure out where the hell I was going to move this fuse box in the two days I had left. I already had 0 gauge wire running to my trunk for my car audio so, I unbolted my battery and factory battery box, used a cutting wheel to cut the battery tray and make it a flat surface and mounted the battery in the trunk. I located the fuse box where the battery was and it cleaned everything up quite nicely. I still need to go through and clean it up more but I was in a rush for time so, I quickly took a piece of strapping material that comes with most garage door openers and cut and bend it to make a bracket for the fuse box.

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Below are a few dirty pictures of the temporary fuse box relocation

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After everything was bolted in and tight, for some reason, I was not making boost. I knew my first issue was that the car was in limp mode... I reset the ECU, cleared all my CELs and went for another run. Still no boost. I was a little hesitant on getting into boost because I didn't want to blow up the motor but I was being very careful. Once again, DTTR LLC came out and took a look at it and we could not figure out, for the life of us, why this car was not making boost. All vacuum lines were hooked up correctly, the turbo was spinning... I just was not creating any boost. Didn't know how it was possible.

I actually planned on calling the bank on Monday to see how much I owed on this thing and selling it outright for what I owe. I had never been more discouraged in my life.

Friday, I worked until noon at one job then bartended all day with a couple breaks here and there (#StPattysDay). While making drinks and enabling people to drink way more than one should consume, all I could think about was why this damn car was not making boost. I came home during one of my breaks, looked at the factory turbo and noticed a solenoid bolted to the side of it. I didn't possibly thing this electronic deal could be the cause of my boost issues... But I plugged it in, zip tied it up out of the way and took it for a spin anyway.

BOOOOOOOST!!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
After everything was bolted in and tight, for some reason, I was not making boost. I knew my first issue was that the car was in limp mode... I reset the ECU, cleared all my CELs and went for another run. Still no boost. I was a little hesitant on getting into boost because I didn't want to blow up the motor but I was being very careful. Once again, DTTR LLC came out and took a look at it and we could not figure out, for the life of us, why this car was not making boost. All vacuum lines were hooked up correctly, the turbo was spinning... I just was not creating any boost. Didn't know how it was possible.

I actually planned on calling the bank on Monday to see how much I owed on this thing and selling it outright for what I owe. I had never been more discouraged in my life.

Friday, I worked until noon at one job then bartended all day with a couple breaks here and there (#StPattysDay). While making drinks and enabling people to drink way more than one should consume, all I could think about was why this damn car was not making boost. I came home during one of my breaks, looked at the factory turbo and noticed a solenoid bolted to the side of it. I didn't possibly thing this electronic deal could be the cause of my boost issues... But I plugged it in, zip tied it up out of the way and took it for a spin anyway.

BOOOOOOOST!!!!
That is weird, BTR should have removed the need for the solenoid when they did your tune. If you aren't tuned then the ECU checks for the solenoid and if it isn't there is goes into limp to prevent overboost as it assumes the EWG is faulty.

I am using a gtx3076 and do not need to have the EWG solenoid plugged in because it was removed in the tune.

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is weird, BTR should have removed the need for the solenoid when they did your tune. If you aren't tuned then the ECU checks for the solenoid and if it isn't there is goes into limp to prevent overboost as it assumes the EWG is faulty.

I am using a gtx3076 and do not need to have the EWG solenoid plugged in because it was removed in the tune.
That is correct. They did end up tuning it out once I got there on Saturday, but I spent two days trying to figure out why I wasn't boosting. No one told me I had to have that plugged in. Had to figure it out for myself. I didn't know the ECU had that kind of control even when everything was external at this point.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So what were your numbers after the tune?

·
Former Rotard
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what were your numbers after the tune?
382/300 on stock fuel, stock intercooler, stock head/block.

The reason for going with such a big turbo was, I have future plans for this build and I didn't really care how laggy it was going to be in the meantime. I don't hit peak boost until 5k... so I really only have 1.2k RPM of real fun. Fortunately, for me, most of our fun around here happens between 50-70 mph so, it's perfect right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts