Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently put a BK2 engine in my BK1 Genesis. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not BK2 injectors can be used with the stock BK1 ECU. I haven't been able to find much information on the topic in on the forum.

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm currently using the BK2 intake manifold and the BK1 injectors aren't long enough to fit.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
They are bigger than the BK1 FIs which I think are in the 350 range. I want to say the BK2 ones are twice as big?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I'm curious if keeping the larger BK2 injectors in will cause any issues. I've heard people say when you increase injector size, the ECU needs to be compensated appropriately. I've driven the car about 1k miles with the BK2 injectors in. The car was running rich but I think that's largely due to the fact that I also had a BK2 MAP sensor installed which isn't compatible with the BK1 ECU.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,432 Posts
It will need a tune as it will run super rich and when doing a tune they usually use a different FI. People have used them though with a tuned ECU. Some modification to the fuel rail area. You have to use the BK2 rail and it needs spacers to make it fit right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice. I see what you mean about needing to use the BK2 rail. I'd consider getting a tune to allow for the bigger injectors. For the time being, I'll try to find some spacers to allow the BK1 injectors to fit.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I believe BK2 injectors have a different impedance than BK1. If my memory is correct then BK2 injectors won't work wih a BK1 ECU.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
According to hondata, if you put low impedance injectors to a ecu designed to run high impedance injector - you will fry your ECU (transistors which generate pulses, since there is no enough resistance to limit current). Do not do this. I was thinking of doing this, bought injectors, and luckily researched enough before tested them. If you really want to use them, you either need to convert to bk2 ecu or use resistor pack. Another thing to consider is than normally high impedance injectors are supplied with saturated (constant current during pulse) type of signal, where low impedance injectors are fed with peak and hold signal (high current to open injector fast and low current to keep it open. lower hold current will also help to close injector faster). If that's also true for bk1 and bk2, then if you run bk1 ecu with bk2 injectors, this should mean that injector is operated by the signal it was not designed to be operated with. However i see lot of people on forums doing that, on honda forums mostly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts