Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so I have a 2016 3.8 auto and long story short I ended up causing the engine to blow. Took it to Hyundai, warranty won't cover it and they want $10k for the engine alone, not including labor and additional parts (I'll know full numbers tomorrow and will most likely update the post to reflect that). Having said all this, I've always been a fan of swapped cars and after quite a bit of research I've determined it might be more cost effective (and a great, fun build) to drop an LS in. I'd most likely have a shop help out as I'm not the most savvy with engines and I'll probably get an estimate from them to compare with next week. Looking for anyone's opinion that has any input on the subject. Note: yes I'm fully aware it'll still be a costly build, as long as it's cheaper than what Hyundai wants to do I'd be fine with it. This is still just an idea as I'm not sure about the specifics of what LS and tranny I'd go with alongside other factors.

·
159 Posts
You won't tell us why or how you blew your engine and why they won't replace it?
This, very curious as well.

There are a bunch of threads from people that have done the swap. I just saw one not long ago with a super clean install.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've done a LS1 swap as well as a LS3 swap. Check out my build thread, or my IG @LS3_LaFlare

I did everything myself, check it out to get an idea of what all is involved.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lacbank813's LS build is mean, def use him as a guide.

·
shorttrack
1,701 Posts
Depending on engine damage , why not rebuild the V6 GDI and upgrade the pistons,rods,cylinder sleeves ,valves and etc.You could build the engine as a NA platform and with a better bottom end you could either put nitrous or turbo system on it (if turbo route is visited just order lower comp pistons and open piston ring gap up accordingly).While the engine is out(budget permitting) you could send the tranny to level 10 in NJ and have the tranny built along with a new TQ converter .Used engine would be about $2,000.00 Ebay from Tampa FLA with free shipping.2013 to 2016 GDI V6 3.8 are all the same .

·
nub
192 Posts
i did an LS6 swap in my car (Just updated my build thread today).

having an automatic to start with will add a little bit extra work but I cant see it really making any difference. As I started with a manual I'm not an expert on doing it with an auto like i think Lacbank813 is (if i remember correctly he started with an auto)but i would say u'll just have to cut a shifter hole and remove the extra wires with the auto trans harness.

I will tell you right now, a LS will be better then any V6. period. Just the sound alone of a Cam'ed V8 is worth the swap alone, that cuppled with a proper good trans (t-56) makes driving wicked. However, be prepared to be without the car for a while and to take your time, its not like slapping on a new intake lol, but i found it went together really well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure where you are located but there is a company called LS Swap in Lewisville, TX that has a great reputation for LS swaps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts