Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week noticed my battery light flicker on when went WOT. Not every time, but every once in a while. So tonight I go to start my car and right when the starter engaged it made a click noise. Almost like the starter was loose or I had a super low battery? After that everything is dead, no lights or nothing. So I unhooked the battery for a second or two. Then lights came on like normal then I tried to start it and the same thing happened. So unhooked the battery again and I pushed started it. Ran fine, no dim lights or nothing. Got home and tried it again and same thing happened. I think I might check the starter fuse, and give it a good look over. Just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Retired Staff
2,303 Posts
Check your battery.

Seriously.

·
301 whp
1,102 Posts
Bad battery

·
Registered
994 Posts
So last week noticed my battery light flicker on when went WOT. Not every time, but every once in a while. So tonight I go to start my car and right when the starter engaged it made a click noise. Almost like the starter was loose or I had a super low battery? After that everything is dead, no lights or nothing. So I unhooked the battery for a second or two. Then lights came on like normal then I tried to start it and the same thing happened. So unhooked the battery again and I pushed started it. Ran fine, no dim lights or nothing. Got home and tried it again and same thing happened. I think I might check the starter fuse, and give it a good look over. Just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas. Thanks for your suggestions.
Alternator maybe. A bad alternator will kill your battery. It may not have been regulating the voltage right so that's why you got the warning at high RPMs. Chances are that has killed your battery. If your still under warranty,have the dealer fix it. If not,take the alternator in to a parts store and have it bemch tested along with the battery.

Oh,wait a second,did you mean to tell me that you ran it with the battery disconnected? If you did that you may have blown the electronic regulator in the alternator. Back in the day your grandfather would tell you to disconnect the battery cable while running to check if the alternator or the battery was the problem. On those cars that was valid. On many modern cars the charging system needs to have the battery in place. Running without it can damage the regulator,which of course is now electronic and in the alternator rather than a little mechanical box sitting on the firewall. (that's why a bad battery can take your alternator with it,then you put in a new battery,and it gets damaged due to the now damaged alternator!)

Other possibilities than the alternator or battery are a bad connection somewhere between. A dirty battery cable head could do it. Clean them off. Dont use a soda like some people say,it leaves a sticky mess. Just use hot water and a brush. Carbonated water seems to work too,its a very weak acid that seems to dissolve the corrosion. It could also be a bad connection somewhere else,but your first priority should be to make sure the cable heads and battery terminals are clean then have the battery and alternator tested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I took a good look at all connections. I noticed the negative battery cable goes to the fire wall and it had came loose a bit. So I tightened it back up and everything is good to go. Thanks for the suggestions though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts