Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what would be the plan of action for my car when I am experiencing a great deal of body roll/lift in the right front during high speed right turns.

I am looking for a reason the right side tends to do it more than the driver side also what is the solution?? is it a bigger front sway bar or lowering springs? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Right side does it more because you sit in the left.
Thicker front sway bar is needed to keep front flat thru corners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eight side does it more because you sit in the left.
Thicker front sway bar is needed to keep front flat thru corners.

So the factory sizing for the '13 Genesis Coupe GT 3.8 8A/T is Front: 23mm Rear: 19mm Tower Strut: 24mm

If I upgrade the front sway bar, I should see a reduction in how much the front passenger side "lifts" or sways in hard fast turns?? I initially thought that increased sway bar size tightens up the chassis resulting in less understeer or oversteer. To me while in action it seems like a lower front ride height would be more beneficial. I just wanted some other opinions.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thicker sway bar has same efect as stiffer spring.

You can stabilize front with eather suspension or sway bar (or both for max efect)
Thicker way bar transfer more compression on to the other side spring.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay cool I got that. But does installing "lowering springs" (reason being to lower the center of gravity) necessarily stiffen the suspension as well? do they make stiffer aftermarket springs that don't lower the ride height at all but will have the benefit of reducing the lifting of the chassis?

It sounds like I wanna install a thicker front-end sway bar vs springs. Any ideal size I should get? keep it under 30?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think you can custom order swift springs that are stinger and offer same high as stock. Definitely doable with coilovers.
If keeping stock suspension (assuming track/r spec suspension) then 30mm front seay bar.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think you can custom order swift springs that are stinger and offer same high as stock. Definitely doable with coilovers.
If keeping stock suspension (assuming track/r spec suspension) then 30mm front seay bar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

okay thanks for your input! I appreciate it. I think I'm going to order rigid collars, 27mm whiteline front sway-bar (30mm might be too harsh), and possibly sport-tuned lowering springs ( 1.2front 1.5rear). That roll the front experiences at high speed cornering is irritating. plus wheel gap ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
So the factory sizing for the '13 Genesis Coupe GT 3.8 8A/T is Front: 23mm Rear: 19mm Tower Strut: 24mm

If I upgrade the front sway bar, I should see a reduction in how much the front passenger side "lifts" or sways in hard fast turns?? I initially thought that increased sway bar size tightens up the chassis resulting in less understeer or oversteer. To me while in action it seems like a lower front ride height would be more beneficial. I just wanted some other opinions.
doesn't a thicker sway bar increase understeer on the front & oversteer on the rear ? but you can balance it out.Oversteer can be increased by larger rear bar,higher reartire pressure, or negative camber on front (less than-2 deg)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
doesn't a thicker sway bar increase understeer on the front & oversteer on the rear ? but you can balance it out.Oversteer can be increased by larger rear bar,higher reartire pressure, or negative camber on front (less than-2 deg)
To get rid of understeer, run front camber at -1.7 and atleast 245 tires. Rear camber, no more then -1

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
couldn’t I just install a bigger and better front sway bar? I don’t wanna change the tire specs or camber

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
No matter what you do with suspension, tires will be an issue - causing understeer. Car came from factory with too narrow tires.
Genesis is 500lb too heavy to have 225 tire.

Genesis camber is set to cause understeer as well (-0.5 front and -1.5 rear)
Should be the other way around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No matter what you do with suspension, tires will be an issue - causing understeer. Car came from factory with too narrow tires.

Thats what i was thinking. some people just hate understeer (me) you run out of steering & the car is just scrubbing off speed.Stock settings are for safety .You can buy a camber /caster gage for $100& can have hours of fun ,hundai gives you that camber bolt. but, yea, put a bigger bar on front & see how it does.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts

Almost all cars suspension/tire setup are set to understeer, from the factory.
It's considered safer, as it easier to know which direction an out of control car understeering, is heading; than it is to predict which direction an out of control car oversteering is going.... generally.

Having the manufacturer setting a car up to be neutral in the corners from the factory, is impossible; because of the fact that everybody drives differently, the car won't be "neutral" in different driving conditions and speeds; ect.

To put things short; one persons setup won't always be ideal for everyone.

If the Genesis coupe was 500 lbs lighter, then it would be lighter and/or weigh as much as a honda civic (depending on drivetrain config).

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yes, they definitely did it for safety reasons (suspension set up, camber) and tire size for fuel economy reasons.
What they failed to do is to provide proper sport package similar to G370 or v6 mustang where you would get wider tires.
(245 in g37 and 255 on v6 Stang with sport package, front)

Those are looking for tires.
Best tire when looking at weight/performance/price (in that order) - continental extremecontact sport

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Yes, they definitely did it for safety reasons (suspension set up, camber) and tire size for fuel economy reasons.
What they failed to do is to provide proper sport package similar to G370 or v6 mustang where you would get wider tires.

Maybe with the all season tires that came on the 18"s
but potenza?

EDIT: lol the G37 coupe (I assume thats what you meant to type) has same wheel/tire size and runs the same potenza tires.... and is heavier than the gencoupe (from what I have googled so far)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Maybe with the all season tires that came on the 18"s
but potenza?

EDIT: lol the G37 coupe (I assume thats what you meant to type) has same wheel/tire size and runs the same potenza tires.... and is heavier than the gencoupe (from what I have googled so far)
I mixed Z and G cars.
370z had sport package (245f and 275R)
Mustang v6 performance pac (255 f and r)

G37 had same size as genesis - granted car was made for old people.

225 belongs on something like FRS, where it can still be enought ground contact for sprinted driving, with light underpowered car that has hard time timing 120.
245f, 265r is minimum tire needed for Gen to perform well.

Potenza are garbage -too havy and mediocre traction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts