Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a common problem?

Picked up a 2015 Ultimate 3.8 AT and have noticed that the frame/body seems to squeak a little for instance when going up a driveway at an odd angle, causing one wheel to go higher than the others. You can hear it from inside the car when it does it.

While driving normally, you rarely hear it.

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
Does it have a sun roof? the rubber seal needs to be conditioned with tire shine (silicone base oil) after every car wash.

Happens to me all the time, if I forget to wipe the seal down.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it have a sun roof? the rubber seal needs to be conditioned with tire shine (silicone base oil) after every car wash.

Happens to me all the time, if I forget to wipe the seal down.
For sure it isn't the sunroof. You can hear it coming from lower on the right front of the car.

·
Premium Member
15,358 Posts
For sure it isn't the sunroof. You can hear it coming from lower on the right front of the car.
Thought the weld issues were just on the BK1 chassis.

From what I have read on the forums over the years is, it's either the welds under the fender, breaking, or the welds for the cross beam under the dash breaking.

The fender one is easy to check, just remove the fender.

Dash is more involved. I think you check by flipping down the glove box all the way (like as if you are changing the cabin filter) and reaching in there.

as for welding, You can just take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it. I would suggest a university or trade school with a welding class and paying one fo the students like $50 to weld it, but it's summer.
Request that it be TIG welded, as...

oxy/ace produces too much heat
ARC, would be stupid
MIG/flux core, makes weld splatter (might be able to get away with using MIG). Weld splatter near glass is a no no.

I can't find a decent pic of the dash bar, but if you remove the center console as if you were installing a stereo, you'll see the bar that I'm referring to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I have not been around here long enough to know if the weld issues were just on the BK1 chassis or not and I am not going to be taking the fender off (my wife would kill me if I did that).

This is a car with less than 14k miles on it but I am the second owner. Was wondering if Hyundai would cover it?

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
821 Posts
Seems to be a common issue for BK2 also. Mine started creaking after I hit a decent sized pot hole. You can check and see if the dealership will cover it. I've read that some dealerships know what the issue is and have it covered under warranty. Just test your luck lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
mine came and went. Probably rubbed so much it's not touching anymore, haha. It was really loud when pulling into driveways. Virturally is totally gone at this point. Maybe lasted 3-5 months.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the info guys.

Don't know when I will make it to a dealer to check, but if/when I do, I will reply back on here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted info in the "What did you do to your Coupe" thread, but forgot to update here.

Just to keep everything here, I will fill in the info:

09-27-2019
Dropped her off at the dealer for the squeak/creak issue.

10-08-2019
Got the car back today and so far, so good.

I asked the service rep what they did and he told me this story (I say this because I don't know how much to believe yet as it is my first experience with this dealer):
They found that the creak was there, so because they have 3 platinum level service tech's they have a pretty good relationship with the DSR's (dealer service reps?) and so they were able to get a special crimping and rivet tool. They took the hood and fenders off and drove it around and outside the dealer property with "chassis ears" to find the exact location of the issue. They found the two places and were able to crimp and rivet near the A pillar with no issues and no need for it to go to the body shop. They re-tested and found no noise. Waited until later in the day and re-tested with no issues.
He also said that the first gen body had bad welds and it was a bigger fix on those, but Hyundai did a better job on the BK2 bodies and when it is an issue, it is typically 2 or 3 places they need to do this.

11-02-2019
Started hearing the creak again, but even noisier than before. :-(

11-19-2019
Dropped off at the dealer for the second time. Got a loaner without needing them to verify as the service manager remembered me and knew it would be covered again.

11-26-2019
Called and found out that yes, it has to go to the body shop. One of the rivets (at least one, it was hard to hear the conversation as I was driving) popped and they need to have the body shop take care of it. They will be adding adhesive/sealant as well this time. Don't expect it back until next week due to the holiday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my car back today. No squeaking noises. Let's hope it holds up this time!

Mine has been doing that from day 1. Doesn't bother me in the least.
If I had not have gotten it fixed the first time, I may have been able to live with it (had it not been under factory warranty still, I likely would have) but since they used a rivet the first time and it popped, the rivet was making WAY more noise than the car was originally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts