Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm not a mechanic nor an engineer but I do have a good amount knowledge on how the engine works and how adding a turbo or supercharger works and on an on. But I am no expert, so I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on whether or not i should eventually boost my 2012 3.8 grand touring. I'm still in high school and I'm hopefully going to go to UCLA. Money is a little tight so I would like to know how easy it is to build my own turbo setup or twin turbo on a stock motor. My car is only muffler deleted for now and some outside mods. How much would it cost for a ready made kit as well? What's the better option? Thanks for all the replies in advance and sorry if this has been posted before.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
supercharger is a better option.

Overall, it will cost the same if not less overall, less parts to deal with.

Downside is you are limited with the power can make, compared to a turbo system.
Depending on the power level you are looking for, you are going to have to replace the internals to make big power on a turbo setup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supercharger is a better option.

Overall, it will cost the same if not less overall, less parts to deal with.

Downside is you are limited with the power can make, compared to a turbo system.
Depending on the power level you are looking for, you are going to have to replace the internals to make big power on a turbo setup.
Thanks for the reply. I wanna be making big big numbers eventually with this car so I think I should go the turbo route instead of the supercharger. Price wise, what do you think the cheapest I could go for is, and also If I bought used parts or a cheap 1k kit from amazon and made it fit, would that be a viable option?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Turbokits.com is really the way to go. Its tested and proven. You will want to go with all upgrades and their headers. You will also need to build your shortblock with forged pistons, heavy duty rods (i went with Crower BC625), upgrade to ARP or the like head bolts plus a bunch of other upgrades. I would add a Snow meth injection kit and all thermal gaskets/spacers you can. Upgrade radiator. You will want to do everything you can to restrict the heat to the motor and trans. I have also ported and polished intake and exhaust. You will need to get a quality tune, preferably a custom tune. I am biased to BTR.

Then you will need to work on the suspension and get rid of whatever weight you can. VIS Racing makes great carbon fiber hood and trunk. I have also put in racing seats, harness bar and harness and think about a roll bar/cage.

If you want to do it right, it aint gonna be cheap...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Power, reliability, low cost. Pick 2.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Increase the power, blow the trans. Build the trans, blow the rear end. Build the rear end, blow the tires off. Install better tires, rip out the drive shaft. Improve the drive shaft, find out the brakes are no longer effective. Improve the brakes, find out the suspension needs work. Fix the suspension, find out the chassis is flexing. Fix the chassis, find out you need more power.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Increasing the power the right way, with the right mods, and keeping within the "right limits" (one must know what they are doing if they are not just building a dyno car) dies not mean you will destroy the rest of the car as you describe.

Haphazardly bolt on to get a dyno number to drop jaws, than yes, prepare for either a trailored waste of money or a broken hot mess.

·
Registered
77 Posts
B.S. Bully
Note that the OP is a high school student with no money AND wanting to turbo a NA engine on the cheap
I've was in the game when most of the posters fathers on this board were still a twinkle in grandpa's eye. And the rules haven't changed.
Sure, he can bolt on a fart can to make more noise, but that's NOT making power.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
Alright so I'm not a mechanic nor an engineer but I do have a good amount knowledge on how the engine works and how adding a turbo or supercharger works and on an on. But I am no expert, so I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on whether or not i should eventually boost my 2012 3.8 grand touring. I'm still in high school and I'm hopefully going to go to UCLA. Money is a little tight so I would like to know how easy it is to build my own turbo setup or twin turbo on a stock motor. My car is only muffler deleted for now and some outside mods. How much would it cost for a ready made kit as well? What's the better option? Thanks for all the replies in advance and sorry if this has been posted before.
It's not easy to DIY it if you're not mechanically inclined. The art of charge pipe bending and welding is absolutely required. The kits are all form-fit to work under our hood nicely - if you DIY it and make a mistake, you're gonna spend a lot of time, sweat, and money trying to get everything set up nice. If you're really interested in learning how to do it and will keep building in the future, then by all means get the equipment & practice in, but be warned it's not a cheap endeavour.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean I'm willing to spend up to 4k eventually but I don't wanna spend 6.7k on the turbokits.com. I'm not gonna be running a lot of psi, probably 4-6psi so I wouldn't have to worry about forged Pistons and rods til later. and I was gonna build my own kit andd have my cousin, who has a performance shop fit it all up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's not easy to DIY it if you're not mechanically inclined. The art of charge pipe bending and welding is absolutely required. The kits are all form-fit to work under our hood nicely - if you DIY it and make a mistake, you're gonna spend a lot of time, sweat, and money trying to get everything set up nice. If you're really interested in learning how to do it and will keep building in the future, then by all means get the equipment & practice in, but be warned it's not a cheap endeavour.
Even the tk.com kit requires some fabrication. Its not a simple snap together and off you go...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I mean I'm willing to spend up to 4k eventually but I don't wanna spend 6.7k on the turbokits.com. I'm not gonna be running a lot of psi, probably 4-6psi so I wouldn't have to worry about forged Pistons and rods til later. and I was gonna build my own kit andd have my cousin, who has a performance shop fit it all up.
The stock pistons were not made for boost. While the BK1 is a little less compression I believe than the BK2, its still a higher compression piston (someone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I have the BK2 so only know for fact what that is). Even at 5-6psi, you can still have failure (with the tk.com its only recommended to run max of 8psi with stock and that will quicjly do a motor in ynless you are driving like grandma with no boost).

If you are prepared to be without your car for an extended period (I say this assuming engine damage will result), then go ahead and try and put a custom installation together but you will most likely not be happy with the results.

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
well then, buy a turbo, intercooler, oil lines, v-bands, gaskets and a **** load of piping. Make a build thread and get to it and become one of the very few who have built from scratch. Honestly, all you're gonna get out of this forum is either "Good luck with that" or "you're crazy, just spend the money"

bsbullie you're correct:
BK1: 10.4:1
BK2: 11.5:1

·
Registered
486 Posts
B.S. Bully
Note that the OP is a high school student with no money AND wanting to turbo a NA engine on the cheap
I've was in the game when most of the posters fathers on this board were still a twinkle in grandpa's eye. And the rules haven't changed.
Sure, he can bolt on a fart can to make more noise, but that's NOT making power.
That is my point in a roundabout way. I know how much I have dumped into my build to get it right.

To add, I have drag raced at Gainesville raceway in multiple modded street cars and pro street cars so I am famimiar with building. Only dufference, those were American carbeurated muscle power plants, not foreign computer driven.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
4k will get you a decent supercharger setup IIRC.

4-6 psi is about where all supercharger kits are set at out of the box. To up boost you just need to change to a smaller pulley.
Once you go to the 10+ psi, you should really think about building up the bottom end.
And whoever you choose to tune, always have it tuned for middle grade gas, That way there is some headroom if/when you decide to up the boost.
EDIT: implying you go to premium or higher octane when upping the boost.

That is my point in a roundabout way. I know how much I have dumped into my build to get it right.

To add, I have drag raced at Gainesville raceway in multiple modded street cars and pro street cars so I am famimiar with building. Only dufference, those were American carbeurated muscle power plants, not foreign computer driven.
I'm familiar with building both domestic and imports. Last car I built did a 9 sec pass (like 10 years ago). Could have gone faster, but the aero for a 260z (body panels on a tube chassis) is like pushing a brick through water.
By built, I mean I welded a whole chassis, intake and exhaust.
Just give me a pile of moly steel tubing, a tig welder, money for my time, and a few months; I can build you a chassis :p
EDIT: I forgot to add space in there. Main reason why I still don't build.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
YOU are the question.

Increasing the power the right way, with the right mods, and keeping within the "right limits" (one must know what they are doing if they are not just building a dyno car) dies not mean you will destroy the rest of the car as you describe.

Haphazardly bolt on to get a dyno number to drop jaws, than yes, prepare for either a trailored waste of money or a broken hot mess.

What you stated above:

Here in lies the reason the Turbokits builds are worth their money. Both their BK1 and BK2 kits are proven, and made to do well with the stock internals. They have quite a few stock internal builds (5 to 7 psi) that are approaching 80K on them. Having said that, yes how you drive and treat the car is paramount.

"Just because you can doesnt mean you should"...........or at least all the time. LOL !0:)

Will it hold off a quater mile freak, NO. Will it allow you to "drift" every weekend, NO.( That would require all the other additions mentioned. But it has been made so that the occaisional roll on ramp launcher can truly enjoy some power YES.

Every owner that boosts their car knows implicitly that they are shortening the life of their powerplant. If you want a vehicle that will last forever trade your Gen in and buy a Nissan TITAN XD with the Cummins turbo diesel....Ha!

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
What you stated above:

Here in lies the reason the Turbokits builds are worth their money. Both their BK1 and BK2 kits are proven, and made to do well with the stock internals. They have quite a few stock internal builds (5 to 7 psi) that are approaching 80K on them. Having said that, yes how you drive and treat the car is paramount.

"Just because you can doesnt mean you should"...........or at least all the time. LOL !0:)

Will it hold off a quater mile freak, NO. Will it allow you to "drift" every weekend, NO.( That would require all the other additions mentioned. But it has been made so that the occaisional roll on ramp launcher can truly enjoy some power YES.

Every owner that boosts their car knows implicitly that they are shortening the life of their powerplant. If you want a vehicle that will last forever trade your Gen in and buy a Nissan TITAN XD with the Cummins turbo diesel....Ha!
To add; if you just want to go drifting, the 3.8 stock is pretty capable already. Just needs some suspension mods.
Just swapping out the rear sway bar with one for a r-spec/track gen, will make it a lot more neutral in drift. Getting an lsd will make initiating and maintaining a drift a lot easier.
If it's already have an r-spec/track, then just swap out the front sway bar with one for a base....

Point with changing the sway bars is, the car is initially set up to understeer (because understeering is easier to predict when not in control). stiffening up the rear, in relation to the front, makes one of the rear tires have less weight on it in a drift, making it easier to throttle steer.
Now you can upgrade everything and get the a better result. Swapping out the swaybar is the cheapest, without being unsafe.

Keep in mind, you can still blow up a stock engine, if you drive it the wrong way.
I would invest in upgrading the tires and brakes first before throwing money at power.
If just wanting to drift, then burn up the stock tires first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I hear everything you guys are saying but my final question is if I built a turbo kit from amazon parts which would cost around 2k for the kit, is that a bad idea. I'm not worried about the fit, I'm getting parts and pipes similar to what is in the turbokits.com kit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So I hear everything you guys are saying but my final question is if I built a turbo kit from amazon parts which would cost around 2k for the kit, is that a bad idea. I'm not worried about the fit, I'm getting parts and pipes similar to what is in the turbokits.com kit.
Your question has been clearly answered throughout this thread.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Working on cars for a while now, I know that you should ALWAYS worry about fit, when dealing with a kit.
The moment you have to cut and weld something to fit properly, you might as well had a custom part made.

There is a reason why good IC kits used the least amount of rubber/silicone couplers as possible....

And there is a big unknown with going with something that hasn't been talked about.
Example, I know some of the aftermarket "ebay" manifolds for the 2.0, the manifold flange is welded upside down and the runners laid out in the wrong order (runners - not really and issue unless the turbo/manifold are twin scroll).

With a superchargers, you don't normally have to deal with intercoolers, and exhaust manifolds. Initial cost is more, but the amount of money to have it running will be the same, if not less than turboing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts