Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw my new ecu in last night, followed all the instructions, however the car wont turn over. I ordered all the right specs to my knowledge and it still wont start. To top it off I cant get ahold of anyone over at sfr. 2010 3.8 push button tuned to 91 oct

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
is yours canada or US spec?

Reason for the question is because the keyless start (US) and all bk1 (maybe bk2) Canada spec'd gencoupes have immobilizers.
The ecu needs to be paired with the immobilizer and body control module for it to even start.

If you got your tuned ecu second hand, then you pretty much just bought a paper weight, until it can be wiped and reflashed.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
pull obd codes. did you disconnect the battery before connecting the ECU?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not throwing codes to my knowledge but I also dont have a reader readily available. That was the mistake I made, I didnt disconnect it at first but went back through the steps and I have the issue still. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong ecu? But I also cant get ahold of anyone over at sfr

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
does it crank? if it doesn't crank, then it's likely the whole immobilizer thing I said.

If it does, then maybe a blow fuse?

I would disconnect the battery, put the original ECU in and see if it starts fine. If it doesn't then possible a fuse, when you didn't disconnect the battery and removed the ecu before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I switched ecus still no dice. Checked oil, there's some gas in the oil. On a stage 1 tune I dont understand why its flooding the fuel system, now I'm also kind of confused as to what my next steps should be. Clearly it wont start when its flooded so where should I go from here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I switched ecus still no dice. Checked oil, there's some gas in the oil. On a stage 1 tune I dont understand why its flooding the fuel system, now I'm also kind of confused as to what my next steps should be. Clearly it wont start when its flooded so where should I go from here?

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Have the stock ecu is (the proper way. disconnect the battery first)
remove spark plugs, and unplug the injectors.
change oil if you haven't already
crank the engine to clear out the cylinders
put back together and see if it starts.

if it starts, then you are at square one before your tried to change out the ecu.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I threw my new ecu in last night, followed all the instructions, however the car wont turn over. I ordered all the right specs to my knowledge and it still wont start. To top it off I cant get ahold of anyone over at sfr. 2010 3.8 push button tuned to 91 oct
I have dealt with this company and found them to be perfect at communication and expertise. I emailed them ur comments. Go to sfr.com, go to contact us >> fill in the info. Unless he has the virus he'll do the right thing.. U may have made some miss steps from the installation instructions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have dealt with this company and found them to be perfect at communication and expertise. I emailed them ur comments. Go to sfr.com, go to contact us >> fill in the info. Unless he has the virus he'll do the right thing.. U may have made some miss steps from the installation instructions.
I agree. SFR has always responded to all my inquiries within 24 hours. Best of luck, I hope they can help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sent a copy of the link to Jay @ SFR. He got right back to me. Thanked me for the link and contacted the customer. Resolved instantly !!!!!! Not seated in slot. DUH .. Stay Safe all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad your car's fixed now bro. I JUST finished going through the same exact thing. I've got a 2010 3.8 push button automatic that I turned to 91 octane. Currently working from home I figured there wouldn't be much of a better time for me to be down a car by sending in my ecu for the stage 1.5 reflash tune. I paid for the shipping and it took a week to get there and back. I connected the harnesses and then the battery. As soon as I started her up I could tell something wasn't right. It sputtered and had a hard time staying on at 1k rpms. It finally settled in and I went on a 10 min drive thinking everything might be ok. Boy was I wrong. After getting home and turning her off that was it. I went to go on a drive again a few hours later, but she wouldn't start. She would try to turn over, but sputtered and dropped rpms till she turned off and I could smell gas. I've got no idea what went wrong. Making a long story short the SFR people finally got back to me and I had to mail my ecu back to them and was down a car another week and a half. They tuned it again and I guess did it properly this time cause she's been a powerful beast ever since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sidenote, I usually ask Jay about a new bolt on I'm about to get. Without naming the part or part maker- Jay is straight up with telling you it's a BS part and just a advertising ploy or it's a good thing to buy. I didn't buy a few things thanks to Jay.
Great company.

·
Registered
975 Posts
He is the tuner for these cars in the states now. Korean tuners are defacto the best on these cars period.
Its too bad BTR's Korean tuner contact is gone.

- Its a matter of personal pride and country of origin. They also understand the sublte intricacies of these cars especially the ATs that other tuners have no clue,(or dont care to acknowledge).

If I were closer, I would let him fine tune/tweak my beast. I wouldnt trust anyone stateside with this, other than he.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He's only about an hour away from me. He did my ECU and TCU. Entirely different car driving now. If I had to pick mods in order, this would be at the top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sidenote, I usually ask Jay about a new bolt on I'm about to get. Without naming the part or part maker- Jay is straight up with telling you it's a BS part and just a advertising ploy or it's a good thing to buy. I didn't buy a few things thanks to Jay.
Great company.
Case and point Jay said nay to bottom light weight pulley. Might throw the balance out. I went with 2

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Case and point Jay said nay to bottom light weight pulley. Might throw the balance out. I went with 2
The crank pulley and flywheel are balanced with the crank. They are balanced as an assembly.

So, if you aren't planning on taking the engine apart and getting the crank balanced with the new flywheel, I wouldn't get a lightened fly wheel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts