Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my GC about 2 weeks ago now and only drove about 400 miles at the most. I live in a city so I didn't get to do much long distance driving since I only go school - home and occasionally shopping. I did do 100 mile trip to NJ right after I got the car and there was no problem.

The problem now is I need to go on a 800 mile round trip in a week for my grad school interview. It's all highway but my car has 57k miles on it. Being a car with high mileage + no experience with long distance driving, I'm afraid that my car might have a problem during the trip. I'm aware of problems like flat tire due to road conditions. I'm more worried about engine failure or other problems due to the car having high mileage.

What do you guys think? Should I go with my GC or rent a car? The reason for not flying is because of money and bad flight time (no flight after my interview time, one that does costs 1k...)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I bought my GC about 2 weeks ago now and only drove about 400 miles at the most. I live in a city so I didn't get to do much long distance driving since I only go school - home and occasionally shopping. I did do 100 mile trip to NJ right after I got the car and there was no problem.

The problem now is I need to go on a 800 mile round trip in a week for my grad school interview. It's all highway but my car has 57k miles on it. Being a car with high mileage + no experience with long distance driving, I'm afraid that my car might have a problem during the trip. I'm aware of problems like flat tire due to road conditions. I'm more worried about engine failure or other problems due to the car having high mileage.

What do you guys think? Should I go with my GC or rent a car? The reason for not flying is because of money and bad flight time (no flight after my interview time, one that does costs 1k...)
Since when is 57K high mileage on a 21st century car? I had a buddy who put 256,000 miles on a 1992 Toyota pick up. I have 167,000 on my 2003 Nissan Xterra and it runs like a champ. And an 800 mile drive isn't really a big deal, it's a day trip if you start early in the am, you'll be there in the evening w/o a bunch of needless stops. Gas and go. Pack a cooler. And if your afraid of issues then get a AAA membership or if you bought the car new you have roadside assistance. Best of luck!

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
Lol ull be fine! I've put over a thousand miles on one single weekend!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just for the assurance, I did do steering alignment and replaced the tires with 2013 GC OEM tires with OEM rims. It's a new tire since the old owner only drove the car back home and to a car shop. No worries for the tires. With Hyundai CPO, I believe I get roadside assistance upto 60k miles

·
Registered
52 Posts
300,000 miles on my mitsubishi. Drove 800 mile round trips at least once a month for the past two years. you'll be fine

·
Exceptionally Ordinary
612 Posts
The car will be fine, just make sure you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Mehhh really? Wtf?

Check tires and fluids then be on your way. Stop at least twice for about 15-30 mins.

If you dont want to abuse ur car rent one or fly there... Prob all the options u got, well u can also hitch hike...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the end, I was forced to take my sister's CR-V by my parents. I really wanted to take my GC but they didn't want me to for safety and being a good target for police on highways. I just need to be on the speed limit but I guess my parents are concerned that used car might cause problem and I dont have that much experience with my GC. I want to take my baby on the journey though :(

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
In the end, I was forced to take my sister's CR-V by my parents. I really wanted to take my GC but they didn't want me to for safety and being a good target for police on highways. I just need to be on the speed limit but I guess my parents are concerned that used car might cause problem and I dont have that much experience with my GC. I want to take my baby on the journey though :(
its your car you bought it. lol, need to get up some nerve and explain that to your parents. As long as you check the fluids and tires before leaving and do any general maintenance, you'll be fine.

Point of reference - I have had my car 3.5 years, bought new, and track it on road courses and circuits once a quarter (so I beat the piss out of it). I am at 115k miles with no major mechanical bream down type issues to date and I routinely drive from Houston, TX to the Tail of the Dragon at the NC and TN border twice a year during a 5 day long weekend with other Gen Coupes to have fun driving the mountains. One way it is 1000 miles door to door, so I average at least 2500 to 3000 miles that long weekend.

So, as long as you do your routine check and maintenance (pay a mechanic if you do not feel you are knowledgable enough) and you will be fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with WildBill here. Don't let yourself get talked out of taking your GC on a trip like this, I guarantee you'll regret it later. It's safe, it's plenty reliable, and people really overplay the whole sports car cop magnet thing. Don't go charging ahead of traffic at 90 mph or anything stupid and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I agree with the above 2. You don't have to worry it will be fine. Just make sure all the fluids are topped off, that the tires are at their recommended psi and have an emergency kit with you just in case.

Once you drive your GC and get stuck driving something less fun like a CR-V you will want to be back in your car immediately.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Once you drive your GC and get stuck driving something less fun like a CR-V you will want to be back in your car immediately.
THIS. I hate it when I have to drive anyone else's car now. It feels heavy, there's body roll, the nose dives under braking, the engine's gutless, the tires are rubbish, the steering's numb and weightless...

...these things will start to get to you after a while and you'll find yourself talking like a Top Gear presenter. :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Holy crap man, do you live in a conservative Asian family or something?

lol.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Wow! What an open question...there are so many variables with any used car..or anything...I have a question for the OP...I just got a new girl (used) is she safe to take on a long trip or should I just ride her around town?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts