Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Explosively Canadian
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As much as I feel like an ass for bragging about this to my co-workers when I got in to work today, there's still something uniquely satisfying about watching pickup trucks and SUVs disappear in the right sideview mirror while blasting through the snow in a rear wheel drive sport coupe that would idiomatically be associated with the nearest ditch.

Greater Vancouver was bombarded with a fairly significant (for Vancouver) snowstorm over the past night, with an accumulation of about 10 centimetres downtown, 20 centimetres out in the east side, and 30 centimetres out in the burbs etc. The snowfall was pretty consistent, so although the plows were running the snow was still piled to a couple inches. Vancouver drivers must never buy winter tires, because riding on new Blizzak LM-60s on the stock GT/Track 19" wheels, I was consistently able to maintain a speed 10-20 km/h faster than all traffic on the road with a feeling of complete control and safety, maintaining the tachometer between 1500-2000 RPM. Traction control on.

On my way home last night at 2330 hrs, the road was between partly covered and compact snow; lane channels had been melted by the tires but the road was still dusted with a thin glaze of compact snow in these channels. Traffic was going about 40 km/h in the slow lane, 50 in the centre lane (although this certainly wasn't consistent, with clusters and groups of cars all over the place). I was passing easily in the fast lane at 60 km/h.

En route to work this morning at 0615 hrs, all traffic was going at about 40 km/h on the freeway with no bare pavement, and I was able to drive at 50 km/h in the stretch from Gaglardi to Kensington, 60 km/h from Kensington to Willingdon, and 70 km/h from Willingdon to Hastings. (I was even able to hold about 65 around the corner under the Grandview overpass.) When I hit the Cassiar tunnel I was going 80 km/h while most other traffic was going 60 km/h.

My biggest hangup was at Renfrew on McGill St where you have to climb a steep hill. A car had lost all traction on that hill in the rough snow in the right lane, so I had to decelerate as the rest of a slower convoy of vehicles drove into the deeper stuff in the passing lane. Once my car hit the hill in the deep snow, I felt the rear end want to kick out, so I continually downshifted (I was initially running at 4th at 40 km/h to avoid too much torque). As I started bottoming out at 1000 RPM in 2nd gear I switched off traction control and forced it uphill with a hint of low-rev wheelspin, and she fought her way to the top at around 15 km/h.

The only times I felt my car begin to lose control or wash out was when I accelerated while going around a curve, when understeer in a corner took me into deep snow, when I started from a stop going uphill, when I went up a steep hill in rough deep snow, or when I started from a stop while turning a corner, and all it took was backing off of the throttle to get things under control when moving, or feathering the clutch while starting out.

All in all, two very pleasurable drives to and from work. I'll probably try to be a little more conservative from now on, now that I know the car's limits in the Lower Mainland, but I can say that the limits are much higher than I anticipated. =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I agree with you completely.

I'm from Calgary and I bought my 3.8GT in the middle of winter. Coincidentally, I picked the car up in the middle of a snow storm. Drove it on the summer tires to a local tire/rim shop and slapped on some Blizzak LM-60's. The drive to the tire shop was sketchy, but with some good winter rubber on the Genesis handled like a dream.

My first trip with the 3.8 was a snowboarding trip out to Kicking horse mountain near Golden BC. Needless to say I couldn't leave my sexy coupe behind. Driving in a convoy with 2 Subaru's (both with AWD and winter tires) I kept up remarkably well in near white out conditions through the twisty mountains!!

Great car!

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Tell me about it, I'm always in the hammer lane in the snow storms. Last one we had I was getting filled with rage at the 4x4s that wouldn't get out of my way. I don't care that you think you own the road in your f***ing 4x4, you're still doing 90 in the passing lane so get the F**K out of the way. I was tempted to mount some push bars on my car.
Can you imagine the police scanner.."Uhh, yeah..So apparently there's a RWD sports coupe ramming 4x4s off the road in this snow storm..."

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
Definitely good to hear :D

My Gen has been stored the last 2 winters, but I am most likely driving her from now on year round..

So far what I've seen, is that Blizzaks are pretty good on the Genesis?

·
Explosively Canadian
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should point out that the tires are great in any condition except wet snow or deep water on top of ice, compact snow, or otherwise unsaturated snow. The car will kick up the surface material and skid loosely on the stuff underneath. I wasn't able to make it up a hill outside my house because it was coated in four inches of wet rough stuff on top of ice after work on Sunday, but it was easy enough to drive around the block and come down the hill instead.

I definitely notice that traction is almost always better downhill than uphill, which is of course the opposite for a FWD vehicle, so I suspect it has more to do with the layout and weight distribution than anything to do specifically with the car or the tires. In other words I figure most RWD cars would have the same problem in the same scenario, if not worse... I don't exactly own a veritable bevy of cars to test it, though.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Definitely good to hear :D

My Gen has been stored the last 2 winters, but I am most likely driving her from now on year round..

So far what I've seen, is that Blizzaks are pretty good on the Genesis?
I looked at the blizzaks but the short treadlife turned me off.

I went with the hankook ipike W409, and I'm glad I did. It's a trade-off of pickup truck cornering in exchange for the ability to claw through anything.

Unlike some of the others I've found these tires rip through everything from dry powder, wet/packed snow, ice/ice rain, etc.. they hold up awesome. They just have more tire squirm than most would like. But I have 0 issues with stability on them and I drive 40 mins daily @ 120 on the 417 hwy. The tread seems to be holding up great too!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I have to agree the car handles surprisingly well, and when you got an open road / parking lot turn off the stability control and you have more fun with the car then you do during the summer!

The only thing AWD / 4WD is getting traction from a stop, there is no other situation that it's good for. Keeping a full tank of gas is good, and gets you out of 80-90% of the situations.

·
The whistles go WOO! WOO!
829 Posts
I went with the hankook ipike W409, and I'm glad I did. It's a trade-off of pickup truck cornering in exchange for the ability to claw through anything.
^this. Transforms how the car handles on dry pavement (kinda truckish), but awesome in anything snowy. Even in my unplowed laneway, no problems all winter. I only got passed a couple times in bad weather, and it was by insane SUVers driving like madmen. One even spun out in front of me right after passing :D.

And while it may handle like a truck, I found that the truck drifts pretty predictably (yeeeee-haw!).

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
How does the Gen handle in say, slushy conditions?

I was driving from Barrie to Orillia and we had these "great" slushy piles all along the highway.

As I was lane changing there's a good 1 - 1 1/2 inches of slush between the two lanes and my Subaru just PLOWED through it with minimal pulling.

All that was going through my head was "How would the Genesis take this situation?!"

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts

I was driving from Barrie to Orillia and we had these "great" slushy piles all along the highway.

As I was lane changing there's a good 1 - 1 1/2 inches of slush between the two lanes and my Subaru just PLOWED through it with minimal pulling.

All that was going through my head was "How would the Genesis take this situation?!"
Like a damn champ is how. Slush never slows me down :p

Sent from my HTC Magic using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Actually this is true, you have to be a tad more smarter. You can't keep it floored and through all conditions as theres a greater chance the back end will want to pass the front end.

That said, I bet you 100% of the pick-up trucks in the ditch think that they are above this law

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
(I'm sorry to throw this thread a bit OT)

I noticed that if I hit a huge puddle of water on the highway in the Gen, it handled 100x better than say a FWD car, so I would think it would feel almost the same as going through slush.

With every vehicle you drive in the winter, you must adjust. I was nervous about driving my Subaru, but once I got used to it, I feel confident. Same thing I would assume with the Genesis, it'll take some getting used to in the winter, and I'm sure I'll be abusing some parking lots :p

·
Explosively Canadian
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had zero problems with slush. I actually love driving through it because it makes a right mess and is thoroughly enjoyable. Just watch out for ice underneath... ;-)

But yes, the critical thing about driving in the snow is turning off the stereo, holding the steering wheel gently, relaxing your back and butt and actually listening to and feeling everything the car is doing. There's a very noticeable difference in torque when the wheels are close to their traction threshold, and at that point you have to back off the throttle and reduce lateral G's if any or else you're screwed no matter what car it is.

I've also found saying "Come on, baby, come on" works wonders. Heck, it got me 25 km in five centimetres of snow on summer tires when the first snow hit and I hadn't had a chance to get the Blizzaks on. ;-)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've had blizzaks last 3-5 years, depeding on vehicle and car taken. Just don't drive in weather over 40*F or warmer.

/end2cents

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
I've also found saying "Come on, baby, come on" works wonders. Heck, it got me 25 km in five centimetres of snow on summer tires when the first snow hit and I hadn't had a chance to get the Blizzaks on. ;-)
Hahah, this was me for a month during some wicked storms before my work bought me snow tires. I was driving around on the stock all seasons, which would be fine except that my back tires are basically drag radials anymore :p.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts