Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, for the past month or so i have been experiencing a variety noises from my brakes. With the cold weather coming here in Illinois, my brakes have been squealing so bad in the morning i can’t stand it. i have the powerstop K6167 brakes kit, slotted and drilled rotors with Carbon Fiber infused ceramic pads. i installed these back in May and didn’t have any issues until now. After reviewing the kit, i realized they didn’t send me all the brake hardware and they also didn’t send me the noise reducing rubber shims. i emailed them and they ended up sending me brand new pads front and rear with all the hardware. Great customer service on their part. i think the noise is a combination of not having the rubber shins, and lack of lubrication. i know it is normal to squeak when they are cold, but not that much, it is excessive and embarrassing to be honest. Also, another noise i hear is when i brake for the first time in reverse i here a knocking noise, and then the same noise when i brake for the first time in drive. it seems so only happen when they are cold, i try to replicate it after driving for a while and warming them up, but the noise is gone after that. any thoughts? also if anyone has had experience with the powerstop kit K6167 id love to hear about it. i want to make sure i install everything correctly when i go to look at them this week. thank you

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
full ceramic?

The oem pads are semi ceramic. Full ceramics are just about always going to squeak when cold.

Just the removable metal backing plate isn't going to help much.

What I use is "disc brake quiet" by CRC. You spread a thin layer on the back of the pads, wait 15 minutes and then put the backing plate on. It's basically rubber cement for pads.

It"s not a guarantee, but it will reduce the noise significantly. Silicone greasing the back of the pad, will help temporarily, but it will eventually wash away, and then you're back to where you started.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
full ceramic?

The oem pads are semi ceramic. Full ceramics are just about always going to squeak when cold.

Just the removable metal backing plate isn't going to help much.

What I use is "disc brake quiet" by CRC. You spread a thin layer on the back of the pads, wait 15 minutes and then put the backing plate on. It's basically rubber cement for pads.

It"s not a guarantee, but it will reduce the noise significantly. Silicone greasing the back of the pad, will help temporarily, but it will eventually wash away, and then you're back to where you started.

took apart the brakes right now. and i noticed something. i compared the old pads with the new ones they sent me, and it seems the “noise reducing shims” are bigger on the new pads. could this be why they are making noise? i notice from the imprint on the old pads that the caliper pistons did were partially not pressing on the shims because, well the shim was not big enough to cover the necessary area of the piston . i’ll attach pictures below

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the old pad is on top and the new one on the bottom.
Also, i unfortunately do not have brake disc quiet and have already started the job, would it be a good idea to add a thin layer Sil-glyde in between the backing plate and the pad and then on the backing plate as well?

Also Also, these pads are carbon fiber ceramic

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cold plus carbon brake kits equal noise. Not much you can do about that unless they are warmed up or using other products that reduces their effectiveness. They are high performance/track brakes, noise comes with the package

1 - 5 of 5 Posts