Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 110, 500 miles on my 2012 3.8 Track. Just this winter I have noticed that I have to stand on the brake pedal to get the brake light switch to activate so I can start the engine. Immediately after startup all is normal. The brake pedal then seems as it should be. Also I have no problems with the brakes after that. they operate as normal. No air in the system. Fluid is clean and full level. Any ideas what the problem may be? I live in Vegas and the overnight lows here are around 36 to 40 degrees F, which is not really that cold. the car is always garaged at night as well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Its funny you mention this as im in Henderson and had this problem this past Saturday. Not a big deal, i just needed to stomp hard on the brake, mines a 2014 and sits in a 60 degree garage. I was wondering if it may have been the result of a barometric pressure change, possibly releasing residual vacuum, (or creating pressure) in the power brake booster? I suspect this because the problem only happens occasionally and dosent reoccur for quite some time after starting the car. Mine only has 14K miles so its like new. I guess it could be the brake lamp switch going bad as well.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the switch, since it works all the time except when, as you said, in a 60 degree garage overnight. It's just when cold starting in the morning, that the pedal is hard and difficult to push far enough to overcome the switch. When started and for the rest of the day, even outside when colder than 60 degrees, it all works as it's supposed to. BTW, I'm also actually in Henderson! :)

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be a slow vacuum leak, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
15,362 Posts
I second the switch. If it was a vacuum leak, it would affect engine idle.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,782 Posts
My brakes with Brembos are very hard to push unless the engine is running. The switch may just need adjusted.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was the switch it would be out of adjustment or not working all the time. When I push really hard the engine starts. The rest of the time it works fine. Just when cold, not so much.

·
Premium Member
15,362 Posts
When it's having the issue and the brake lights don't turn on, then it's the switch.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,782 Posts
Maybe the switch is stiffer when it is cold? It should be a two pole switch like the brake switch on the manual. One of the two contact should be closed at any time. I have a problem with the cruise control not setting sometimes and it is because the brake light switch needs adjusted. If i jam the bake pedal hard and fast then the cruise will set.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brake lights work. It's a pedal problem, not a switch problem.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Add me to the list of people who live in Henderson! Keep us updated if you find the source of the problem!
Its funny you mention this as im in Henderson and had this problem this past Saturday. Not a big deal, i just needed to stomp hard on the brake, mines a 2014 and sits in a 60 degree garage. I was wondering if it may have been the result of a barometric pressure change, possibly releasing residual vacuum, (or creating pressure) in the power brake booster? I suspect this because the problem only happens occasionally and dosent reoccur for quite some time after starting the car. Mine only has 14K miles so its like new. I guess it could be the brake lamp switch going bad as well.
Could it be a slow vacuum leak, perhaps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts