Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have had my 2013 Genesis Coupe R-Spec in gran premio gray for about 2 weeks now and am getting used to the sounds, and getting better with that extremely springy clutch. There are two sounds that bother me, and I'm not sure if they're normal. It almost sounds like a flapping sound from the undercarriage and I'm noticing it when I'm down shifting from a higher gear to slow the car down more quickly. I also hear it when I'm giving it gas backing out and then braking.

The other noise is in idle, waiting at a light, etc...this is purely a noise, opposed to a noise and what feels like movement of a part which I described before. It's difficult to put into words, would you describe like a rhythm or noise pattern your R-Spec makes in idle or maybe the other models make these noises too, specifically manual transmissions?

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
711 Posts
post a video of the sound if you can

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
Sounds like you could be hearing the synchro in your clutch. A lot of clutches designed for higher power will have a little chatter when unloaded. You can usually hear it at a stop and if you ease in and out of the clutch you can hear it go away as the gears engage.

Another possibility for what your hearing at a stop is the GDI. It has a kind of diesel engine chatter at a stop. This is caused by the hi-pressure fuel pump needed on a GDI. Sounds like valves ticking.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my GDI doesnt do that, but i do have a wastegate actuator click... i realize this is for the 3.8 but out of the 3.8's i have driven (r-spec or track) i have not heard that sound. best bet is to take it to the dealership and have it documented so they dont give you **** if something breaks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not to scare you but after I bought my 2.0T last year, I had it for about 800 miles (bought it with 45), I started hearing a slight clicking sound that even the "Hyundai Certified" mechanic couldn't hear. Long story short they found metal shavings in my engine block and said it was probably from the factory, and I baby my car.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
my GDI doesnt do that, but i do have a wastegate actuator click... i realize this is for the 3.8 but out of the 3.8's i have driven (r-spec or track) i have not heard that sound. best bet is to take it to the dealership and have it documented so they dont give you **** if something breaks.
If you have a wastegate you don't have GDI. :rofl:

·
2013 Genesis 3.8 R-Spec
11 Posts
At idle I can hear a slight, very light knocking. I don't think it's detonation, but maybe something hitting something else. Not sure if its affecting my cars performance, but I can hear it, and its starting to annoy me. Anyone know what it could be?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
769 Posts
That ticking noise at idle is the by-product of a GDI engine. I have 2 GDI Hyundai's and both the same. Google GDI engine noise and you'll find more technical answers.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Give it a little time....as you indicated, if you just got the car, you may just be going through "new car paranoia"....I always do and my personal service advisor hates me for it, and yes, my dealer gave me a single point of contact because I'm an anal/OCD PITA...lol !

Good luck and I hope it ends up being nothing....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts