Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the stock rotors for a 2.0T r-spec (brembo) are composite or just normal steel? I am asking to see if I can turn the rotors and then get another 60,000 miles or so out of the rotors. If they are composite, then I can't turn them and will be forced to buy new rotors which I don't want to do based on the cost. Thank you in advance for your advise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
They are steel. Composite rotors are pretty expensive, high end options that were never offered on the Genesis. If I remember right, there should be a number stamped on the edge of the rotor or somewhere to indicate the minimum thickness.

Front Brembo: 26mm (1.02") minimum thickness
Rear Brembo: 18mm (0.71") minimum thickness per the manual

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are steel. Composite rotors are pretty expensive, high end options that were never offered on the Genesis. If I remember right, there should be a number stamped on the edge of the rotor or somewhere to indicate the minimum thickness.

Front Brembo: 26mm (1.02") minimum thickness
Rear Brembo: 18mm (0.71") minimum thickness per the manual
Thank you for that, composite is different than ceramic, I know ceramic are very expensive. I didn't know about composite rotors. Thank you for the minimum thicknesses.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think you are thinking of brake pads, not rotors. In that case, ditch the stock brembo brake pads because they are trash. Get some EBC Redstuff or Hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I am thinking rotors, I am actually probably going to frodo pads and possibly upgrading to slotted dba rotors but if I can save some money and get another 60,000+ miles out of the stock rotors, I figured why not do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cost savings, and you normally get the same millage as before you turned them (i.e. another 60,000 miles before having to buy new rotors)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you have a clean, flat, level surface to get most use out of the new pads

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,427 Posts
I bought new rotors last fall and was gong to put them on. 76k miles and they still are good. No groves or anything out of the ordinary. Third set of pads so far and at least another 10k miles before the pads are worn out. I'm impressed with the Brembo OE rotors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very good to know. Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
those look like ceramic to me

·
Registered
171 Posts
those would be carbon rotors (composite of some sort) a ceramic rotor would shatter if a rock hit it, i dont think many would want ceramic rotors.

if you want a little better than stock bite and dust reduction i just put akebono's on my car all around and currently they are noisy but almost 0 dust and an improvement in braking as well. i did not turn my rotors, because i have LOTS of experience and the last thing i want to do is reduce the thickness of something i rely on to absorb massive amounts of heat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts