Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a person with the base brakes, I've been reading about doing a Brembo swap. However, I was wondering if anyone knows of any braking tests that indicate a quantitative improvement?

Any comments from those that have done the swap?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
The Brembos will take a lot more heat. The OEM pads in the front are junk though and a true track pad is what is needed to get the most out of them. I would think there is no comparison between the two out on the track. For daily driving there is probably no advantage.

The Brembos are sure easy to work on.

Are the regular Coupe brakes 4 pots?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
track use is where the brembos will show its advantages of less heat build up and less fade. For DD like me, just use Hawk street pads and your golden.:)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would think there is no comparison between the two out on the track. For daily driving there is probably no advantage.
The difference isn't that big. With track compound pads and a high quality fluid flush you won't be able to tell what brakes are on your car. People track cars with 'base' style brakes all the time. Even the experienced ones.

Brembos are not needed for track days unless you're racing, have a heavy car, or are putting out lots of power. That's when the added heat capacity will help you avoid fading.

The brembos have easier to change pads and will have a bit more heat capacity in the rear due to the vented rotor. The base brakes have a solid non-vented rotor but for your typical 20-30 minute sessions the base brakes hold up just fine.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
The difference isn't that big. With track compound pads and a high quality fluid flush you won't be able to tell what brakes are on your car. People track cars with 'base' style brakes all the time. Even the experienced ones.

Brembos are not needed for track days unless you're racing, have a heavy car, or are putting out lots of power. That's when the added heat capacity will help you avoid fading.

The brembos have easier to change pads and will have a bit more heat capacity in the rear due to the vented rotor. The base brakes have a solid non-vented rotor but for your typical 20-30 minute sessions the base brakes hold up just fine.
Ha, I'd run you into the dirt on the track.... :)

Last time out I could not but on one occasion lock up the stock track 19"s with the ABS. Stock pads in the rear and front had Hawk HPS. If you can't lock up the brakes then your pads/rotor/calipers aren't aren't up to the job. I blame the pads last time out. Have different ones now. We will see in a couple of weeks. Also have slightly less sticky tires and 18" wheels, but much lighter than the 19"s.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The difference is huuuuuuuugggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeee! Especially if you add SS lines. If you stand on brakes doing 55-60 the stopping distance has to be close to half.
I've tried both the brembos and the base brakes on the same car on and off the track. The brembos are not that much more powerful. :rofl:

There would be no need for ABS on modern consumer cars if the stock base brakes could not lock the wheels up. You guys are way underestimating the stock brakes. You are limited by the available grip in your tires way before braking power runs out.

·
wag um
519 Posts
SS brake lines change braking feel, not performance (distance). Food for thought.

I felt like the base brakes weren't well suited for the heavy 3.8 but did fine for the 2.0. It probably has more to do with the pad material than the lack of pots though.

·
Uses Search Button
839 Posts
I've tried both the brembos and the base brakes on the same car on and off the track. The brembos are not that much more powerful. :rofl:

There would be no need for ABS on modern consumer cars if the stock base brakes could not lock the wheels up. You guys are way underestimating the stock brakes. You are limited by the available grip in your tires way before braking power runs out.
So your saying that I, a person having done the swap is wrong? The ability to stop from high speed is massively different. There is no denying the stock brakes are pretty decent but a single piston caliper will never compete with a two piston caliper, ever. You are also making the assumption that full braking force cannot be achieved while still maintaing traction with the road surface. While sometimes this is true it is not the rule. Furthermore the SS lines enable the pistons to move faster as there is no rubber to expand and contract. If single piston calipers were as awesome as you guys are pretending, race teams would not be using 4 & 6 piston calipers.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts

Not on the 19"s. Those tires have some grip. I was standing on the brakes at one time for all I'm worth and still could not get the ABS to kick in, downhill and off camber.....

Going uphill I could get the rears to kick the ABS in one time during the day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've looked at stoptech but I see only front calipers in their kit. Seems that the rears would be almost as important. In any case, the Brembo brakes do look easy to change, and they're easy on the eyes, too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So your saying that I, a person having done the swap is wrong? The ability to stop from high speed is massively different. There is no denying the stock brakes are pretty decent but a single piston caliper will never compete with a two piston caliper, ever. You are also making the assumption that full braking force cannot be achieved while still maintaing traction with the road surface. While sometimes this is true it is not the rule. Furthermore the SS lines enable the pistons to move faster as there is no rubber to expand and contract. If single piston calipers were as awesome as you guys are pretending, race teams would not be using 4 & 6 piston calipers.
I'm not arguing with you and you don't have to believe me.

You have non-OE brembos. Were they selected taking into account the existing brake components? master cylinder size? proportioning? Hows the brake bias front/rear?

A majority of people don't buy BBKs to decrease stopping distances. In fact stopping distances tend to increase due to increased forward bias. BBKs are mostly used to provide better heat tolerance. Brakes alone don't decrease stopping distances. Tires do.

If you can't trigger ABS perhaps the master cylinder is not sized adequately for the application. Take this seriously as it's a safety issue. Don't blame the pads. Unless they're toast they should have plenty of bite.

Unless you are running race compound tires the stock brakes have plenty of power.

·
Uses Search Button
839 Posts
Not on the 19"s. Those tires have some grip. I was standing on the brakes at one time for all I'm worth and still could not get the ABS to kick in, downhill and off camber.....

Going uphill I could get the rears to kick the ABS in one time during the day.
Truth!:sly:

Here is what I found via The Google.
Base brakes 70-0mph = 160ft
Brembo Brakes 60-0 = 111ft

They are from different sources (which explains the different speeds) but it is easy to tell the Brembo brakes do make a difference as 10mph would certainly not cause the braking distance to be increased by 49ft.

It is important to remember that abs was designed for people who slam on their brakes in the rain, stomp the brake pedal when they realize they should be turning and drive on bald tires. The people who brake going in a straight line were at the bottom of the list of concerns.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
There is a considerable difference on and off the track.

Btw there is not even 100 lbs difference between 3.8 and 2.0

I have owned 2.0 brembo, 3.8 base and 3.8 brembo swap

Master cylinder + all other components are the same between models

·
Registered
787 Posts
They are from different sources (which explains the different speeds) but it is easy to tell the Brembo brakes do make a difference as 10mph would certainly not cause the braking distance to be increased by 49ft.
You do know that kinetic energy increases by the square as velocity increases don't you? It's not a linear relationship. The tire compounds also vary between the base and brembo equipped cars. All seasons vs summer compound? You can't compare them directly. Put Rcomp tires on the base brake equipped car and see which one stops faster. :icon_rolleyes:

I'm not going to try and argue with you guys if you're not going to compare apples to apples. Comparing calipers alone says nothing without considering the brake compound, the tire compound, the weight of the vehicle, the brake biasing, etc.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Law of Friction #4
The amount of limiting friction is independent of the area of contact between the two surfaces and of the shape of the surfaces, provided that the Normal reaction is unaltered.

Translated, bigger brakes have more friction and stop faster.

No one is denying that many factors effect the braking statistics of a vehicle. We a disagreeing with your statement that a Brembo setup does not stop better than a base brake system.
Wow I hope you're not an engineer.

I could take a 10ft^2 slab of brake pad and lean it against the rotor of a car. Lots of surface area no?

How about clamping force? Or is that not as important as the brembo logo? Or is it surface area alone that stops a car? :icon_rolleyes:

Or better yet, how about the fact that all of that braking force is transmitted through the same key patch of friction from car to car... your tires. Last time I checked, summer tires could not pull 1.6Gs on the skid pad.

Nowhere did I say the brembos did not perform better. I've done the swap. I would love to say I stop 2x faster now. But to say that's true is an outright lie.

·
Uses Search Button
839 Posts
Dude you are just looking for things to argue about. Two points of compression with the same pressure of a single point of compression acting upon the same object results in an exponential increase of compressive force. Also, the pad and rotors are both bigger numb nuts!
You keep implying that that everyones tires are loosing traction so it doesn't matter what type of brakes are used. You've now had myself and one other person tell you we can stop without loosing traction.

Let it go man.

·
Registered
400 Posts
10mph would certainly not cause the braking distance to be increased by 49ft.
Increasing the speed from 60 to 70 mph results in about a 1/3 increase in stopping distance so 35-36 feet of the increase could be accounted for by the speed increase alone. Who knows how much of the rest would be due to other differences in conditions. That said, the key advantage to the Brembos is in their resistance to fade after severe use as under race conditions.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts