Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2010 Genesis Coupe R-spec a while ago and spun a rod. Its been sitting for a while in my drive way until about a month ago I wanted to do something with it. Took the engine out, brought it over to a race engine builder, and it is now bored out to a 2.3L.

Parts list so far:
-New OEM Hyundai Crankshaft
-ACL Race Series Rod Bearings
-BC rods
-Weisco 86.5 Oversized Forged Pistons (Being coated to 87mm)
-GSC Power Devision S2 Cams
-ARP Head Studs
-Mishimoto Street Intercooler and Piping
-Megan Racing Engine Mounts
-Turbo XS RFL Bov
-Deatschwerks EV14 1500cc Injectors
-Walbro 525lph Fuel Pump
-Fuel Return
-Haltech PNP
-GT45 Turbo

I was wondering if anyone knows anything else that is needed to get 600+ HP

Thank you all,
KP3

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm curious how you used the OEM crankshaft to increase displacement to 2.3L? To get that displacement you would need a different crankshaft to change the stroke? Still seems you've covered just about everything. Generally the design of the OEM intake manifold and maybe the throttle-body size could be a concern, but you are also making up for it with a larger than normal turbo.
- Main issue with the intake manifold design is the 180* bend to get to cylinder 1. So 1 ends up rich, 4 ends up lean.

I'm working on a similar project for my BK2. With the BC stroker kit. Bottom end is done, waiting on the head. My turbo may not flow enough for 600whp but we'll see what I can get out of it. (Garrett claims 660hp, but the compressor map says otherwise). I chose the G25-660 as roughly the goal I wanted while keeping as much spool as I could. Only different between our setups is I went with darton sleeves and 1300cc injectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious how you used the OEM crankshaft to increase displacement to 2.3L? To get that displacement you would need a different crankshaft to change the stroke? Still seems you've covered just about everything. Generally the design of the OEM intake manifold and maybe the throttle-body size could be a concern, but you are also making up for it with a larger than normal turbo.
- Main issue with the intake manifold design is the 180* bend to get to cylinder 1. So 1 ends up rich, 4 ends up lean.

I'm working on a similar project for my BK2. With the BC stroker kit. Bottom end is done, waiting on the head. My turbo may not flow enough for 600whp but we'll see what I can get out of it. (Garrett claims 660hp, but the compressor map says otherwise). I chose the G25-660 as roughly the goal I wanted while keeping as much spool as I could. Only different between our setups is I went with darton sleeves and 1300cc injectors.
Thanks for the reply. Its my first time posting on this group so its nice to get some feedback. The crank is the one issue im running into. I wouldve bought the stoker kit but the car came with forged pistons and the bc rods when I bought it. Im not too sure how to go around changing the displacement without that stroker crank. Of course, I wouldnt want to spend another 4k just for the crank. Any ideas?

Also, attached are so pics of the block after being bored and honed.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a good looking engine. I don't have photos yet as I plan to pick up the entire engine at the same time (like 1.5h drive).

Just the bore gets you about 2.045L. Probably won't see too much out of this. I don't think there is an easy way to convert a crank to a stroker crank. Consider the amount of research and development put into designing it and balancing. I'm no crank expert though, maybe someone out there has a better idea. It isn't cheap but if you really want the stroke Brian Crower sells just the crank for ~$2300 USD. #Not-sponsored.
- BC5135 - Hyundai G4KF (2.0L) Crankshaft - 4340 Billet - 98mm Stroke w/ – Official BC Brian Crower / runBC Online Store

Now with that said, for your goal of 600whp I don't think you'll need the stroker. There are examples on this forum of people using built 2.0L engines and making over 600whp. Check out the top-hitters thread for examples. need2boost reached 718whp/501 lb torque with a built, sleeved 2.0T and built head.
- **gencoupe.com heavy hitters thread! Top V6 and 2.0T...

I had a number of goals regarding my choice. It mostly came down to wanting to have 500-600whp but didn't want to compromise spool time too much. Even without the built engine the G25-660 feels great to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good looking engine. I don't have photos yet as I plan to pick up the entire engine at the same time (like 1.5h drive).

Just the bore gets you about 2.045L. Probably won't see too much out of this. I don't think there is an easy way to convert a crank to a stroker crank. Consider the amount of research and development put into designing it and balancing. I'm no crank expert though, maybe someone out there has a better idea. It isn't cheap but if you really want the stroke Brian Crower sells just the crank for ~$2300 USD. #Not-sponsored.
- BC5135 - Hyundai G4KF (2.0L) Crankshaft - 4340 Billet - 98mm Stroke w/ – Official BC Brian Crower / runBC Online Store

Now with that said, for your goal of 600whp I don't think you'll need the stroker. There are examples on this forum of people using built 2.0L engines and making over 600whp. Check out the top-hitters thread for examples. need2boost reached 718whp/501 lb torque with a built, sleeved 2.0T and built head.
- **gencoupe.com heavy hitters thread! Top V6 and 2.0T...

I had a number of goals regarding my choice. It mostly came down to wanting to have 500-600whp but didn't want to compromise spool time too much. Even without the built engine the G25-660 feels great to drive.
What is the stock crank stroke? Im probably not going to do the conversion then if thats the case. Moreover, do you know any aftermarket intake manifolds for the car?

·
Registered
208 Posts
What is the stock crank stroke? Im probably not going to do the conversion then if thats the case. Moreover, do you know any aftermarket intake manifolds for the car?
86mm bore
86mm stroke

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any after market intake manifold. I know someone in the community was working on one thought not sure if they finished.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I bought a 2010 Genesis Coupe R-spec a while ago and spun a rod. Its been sitting for a while in my drive way until about a month ago I wanted to do something with it. Took the engine out, brought it over to a race engine builder, and it is now bored out to a 2.3L.

Parts list so far:
-New OEM Hyundai Crankshaft
-ACL Race Series Rod Bearings
-BC rods
-Weisco 86.5 Oversized Forged Pistons (Being coated to 87mm)
-GSC Power Devision S2 Cams
-ARP Head Studs
-Mishimoto Street Intercooler and Piping
-Megan Racing Engine Mounts
-Turbo XS RFL Bov
-Deatschwerks EV14 1500cc Injectors
-Walbro 525lph Fuel Pump
-Fuel Return
-Haltech PNP
-GT45 Turbo

I was wondering if anyone knows anything else that is needed to get 600+ HP

Thank you all,
KP3
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Sounds like one heck of a cool project, and another Genesis Coupe saved. I'll be looking forward to see where your build goes. 👍

·
Sleeper!
866 Posts
Yeah the most you would be able to do by bore alone would net you just shy of a 2.2L and would get you to a 2.188L but that is with a big bore and not leaving much cylinder wall at all. If you opted to do a big bore and for instance that BC stroker crankshaft you would net almost a 2.5L and would be right at 2.493L.

Overall decent build setup and how much power are you looking at trying to make?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts