Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy, new to the fourm.

i searched buring oil and found no results.
im a service advisor at a hyundai dealer in the GTA and have a few customers complaining about oil cunsumption and possibally buring oil. Hyundai Canada said they havent had any issues with this.
so im coming to you guys to maybe help me out, anyone experiencing oil consumption, with which motor and what is your driving style?

thanks guys

·
Registered
121 Posts
mmm i haven't had any problems like that but i only have less than 500 miles on the car so far.

if anything changes *knock on wood* ill post again

·
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒&
245 Posts
Do you have the turbo or the V6?

If it's V6, then it's NOT normal, they should repair or warranty or even replace the car depending on how new it is.

If it's the turbo, it's normal for turbo cars to consume some oil, however, at what pace are you loosing oil. Or even how do you know? Is it just dipstick reading? Or the oil that comes out is always significantly less than what you put in?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the 2.0T, I checked my oil when i had maybe 600 miles all was well. I now have 2800 miles still on the factory oil. I think i will go and check the oil now, and see... The oil level is good. But its a good thin i have a scheduled change for next thurs. That oil is pretty black.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the 3.8 Track. I changed my oil at 1200 miles and it was very very black. Strange on such a low mileage car.

Haven't had any problems with oil consumption.

·
traction control off =]
1,295 Posts
i got my oil changed yesterday and we put it up on the lift and found oil leaking down the front of my engine! not like super bad, but its definately wet, it got the crossmember thing that goes across under the tranny pretty much soaked.

either way i'm taking it in next week, my 1,600 mile car shouldnt be leaking oil.

·
Resident Asshole
388 Posts
I checked my oil the day I bought it and it was on the full line. dropped the oil at 3500KM and it was still at the full line..... came out black as a diesel oil (which worried me at first, as a 1st year mechanic I do a lot of oil changes and this was my worst so far)

not burning any oil yet, at 6200kms now it's still at the mark I left it at after first oil change. It's pretty black already though. not as bad as the first change, but I think 3-4k km oil changes are a good idea. I get semi synthetic 5/20 for $2.50ca/L and my filter is only $3.

works out to be cheap enough to drop the oil every 3k kms and not worry about the blackness

·
Measures tirelife in laps
397 Posts
Your oil is supposed to be black. That means it's working.
No, that means it's being contaminated. Unless you're driving in a really dusty climate (ie. lots of dirt roads) it shouldn't be really dirty after 5,000 km.

Although different people have different ideas of what dirty is, so take it all with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm over kill. On my tib i do it every 3000 miles. I never let the oil get to that burning smell when it starts to loose its viscosity. But I red line a lot, so I figure better always have clean mobile 1 to be safe.

I just changed it yesterday and ran my finger inside the oil fill spot and rubbed black residue off the inside of the motor??? I was always told to not use a "flush" I try to run a extra quart of mobile 1 after everything drains out. But whats that black residue?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess it depends on how black you're talking? do you mean like when you wipe it on the cloth it's super black or just when you look at it? because everytime i change my oil, it looks black coming out, but when i wipe it, it's still golden (which makes me wonder why not keep it in longer LOL).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I try to have the oil still looking nice. it was $32 for 5 qts of mobile 1 for 75000+ and fram filter, $6 for the extra quart to run through for my overkill,. wroth it for the every 3000 miles. Thats like 120-180 a year to make sure your car doesnt ever have engine problems due to lub.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought mine @ walmart. FRAM is cheaper, but it doesn't work not nearly as well. I think it stops like 89% where as mobile 1 stops 99.1%. I took a look at what each filter claimed to filter out, mainly to justify the price. Those cheap fram filters worried me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't get the cheap fram filter. I spent $7, bought the one with the grip. The mobile one is like 17. The super tech, walmart brand, is 2.96. Not gonna go that cheap but 17 is too much seeing as how I change my oil right around 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man that is expensive. The walmarts here sell mobile 1 for $12. And I thought that was a bit much. Fram is about the same price. I change my oil every 6000 miles which is what Honda recommends and my oil life monitor is set @. With mobile 1 or Honda oil (sometimes I let them change it so they can check my tires and brakes), there is no break down in 6000 miles.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I think 3-4k km oil changes are a good idea.
For the first oil change this is exactly what I did. Actually at the 2,500 km mark. I'm going to likely get my next at the 5,000 but I think this might be too late.

Main reason is I know there is a lot of crap inside the engine that needs to get cleaned up after manufacturing the engine.

Obviously the turbos are quite durable, but coming from the VW/Audi world, and having twin K03's, as they aged, seals were popping and it didn't take long after ECU tuning and maxing them out to start burning oil.

$30 can save you, if your not planning on doing a big turbo upgrade, $1,000's in the future. Before going ECU tune, I would recommend a nice intercooler setup as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 3.8 has just turned 4000 kilometers, puffs blue on start up, oil is black, and was down 2 litres after 3500 kilometers. I cannot believe this is normal.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts