Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 2016 3.8 ultimate a/t with about 28k miles. I have cbe, test pipes, aem intake and a custom sfr tune done along with some exterior mods. I have been looking to put a turbo in, did all my research and was really just waiting to save enough money. I came across a 2015 3.8t rspec for sale with only 11k miles. It's a m/t which I was contemplating switching to anyway. Hes asking for 18500. Kbb value for my car says about 18-20k (if I return to stock)All the mods were done at professional shops but I was wondering if there was anything I should look for or have checked. I will post all of the mods done to it below. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Exterior-
Factory add on spoiler
Car is black, currently wrapped (4years old) in a blue pearl Kpmf
Staggered 19 inch volk ze40 diamond dark

Interior
Full black leather rspec package
Has isr short shift, and blox gunmetal shift knob
Changed gauges to aem after market for, boost, afr, oil temp an pressure

Performance (makes 380hp on mustang dyno, 425 on dynojet)
Stage 3 comp clutch
6266 precision turbo setup tuned at 7psi
ISR race catback
Cnt Downpipe and test pipe
AEM water meth kit setup
Oil catch can
Mishimoto oil cooler
SFR custom tune

Suspension
BC coilovers
White line sway/strut bars

Will come with
  • 3 gallons red juice for water meth
  • spare oem rear wheel no tire
  • all weather and carpet gen floor mats
  • various stock parts
  • oem secondary cats
  • all weather car cover still in box
  • forged pistons, rings and sleeves (bought used but never installed)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It's cheaper to buy that one as opposed to putting turbo on yours, as long as you can sell yours for 17k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's cheaper to buy that one as opposed to putting turbo on yours, as long as you can sell yours for 17k

I'm not overly concerned with money, just want to make sure the thing is reliable.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Who tuned it, is it a can tune that came with a turbo kit or a custom tune. Reliability is all in the tune.

·
Bill
579 Posts
What's he done with it? I'm always leery of someone else's mods.
How much boost was he running if he didn't build it first?
If he was just puttering about you may have a good deal.
if he was tearing it up you're buying a money pit.
I'll stick with my own if I do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was running 7lbs of boost, mods are listed above. All the work was done by sfr, guy was getting fined for noise every time he used the thing so he only uses it lightly on weekends to keep it on good shape. He has forged internals that he hasn't put in that he would give me as well. He said including dyno, car has only hit peak boost of 7lbs about 6 or 7 times.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Its always a bit of a gamble buying someone elses project, but it could also be a deal if its what you want and hes a responsible owner who diddent thrash the heck out of it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I would buy it, as long as it idles smooth, drives without hiccups.

·
Bill
579 Posts
Well, nobody here's getting the bill... Wth, if you can swap into it with no major expense, dive in. I wouldn't run 7 psi before building the internals, unless you do all the stuff Gaijinn does.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well, nobody here's getting the bill... Wth, if you can swap into it with no major expense, dive in. I wouldn't run 7 psi before building the internals, unless you do all the stuff Gaijinn does.
7 psi is safe if you have a good tune and a fail safe (set up boost controller to cut all boost if A/f go above 11 at WOT).
Lots of blown engines resulted from people running with just a can tune (kit came with preprogrammed ECU - can tune) and hoping meth injection will add safety. Can tunes never safe on aftermarket turbo cars.

What I would do if it runs fine - buy it, change plugs and verify correct gap, get custom tune my Alphaspeed to verify its actually has a good tune. Need to make shure timing is set right.

I know of 1 individual who runs 7 psi for 3 years without meth injection - all in the tune, was custom tuned by BTR.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock engine is supposedly safe up to 8psi. I see most people running 7 without building the engine. The hardest part is getting rid of my current car, I'll have to return it to stock before I get it appraised and I should come out breaking even. Plus I'll have my current mods to sell. Going to give the car a drive this week and will probably just go for it! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more thing I'm trying to privately sell my car but if I cant I should be able to at the least break even on a trade in. Should I return my car stock before letting hyundai appraise it?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would, generally speaking you wont get any more money for your aftermarket accessories, but you could either sell them or use them on your new coupe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I definitely plan to sell or keep the parts I mean will they offer me less because of the mods

·
Bill
579 Posts
Yeah, I'll offer mine here before I get a new one. If it doesn't move, I'll go back to stock for trade in.
I expect mods to affect value negatively, outside this environment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That car is definitely worth it. You can even have it returned for less boost or less tuning if you really want it to be safe and reliable. Selling your car is always the hard part, most dealers wont give much so selling privately could be your best bet regardless of mods. There are modified car marketplaces too btw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts