Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 with about 70k miles on it. I'm second owner. Engine is shot. No way to know how the previous owner cared for it, but I am meticulous with oil changes etc. Like everyone else who got porked into the same situation with one of these POS cars, can't find a used engine for less than $5500 to $6500 and obviously rebuilt goes up from there. I'm older so I've owned a good number of cars and done many engine swaps and rebuilds, but never found myself in a situation where I can't find a salvage yard motor that I simply cannot afford like this. I'd expect it if it were a Porsche or something closer to the exotic range of vehicles. I'm really stuck. I still owe a shitload of $ on the car so I have a two ton paperweight in my driveway that I have to continue to make payments on. Not to ,mention insurance. Yes I know I can change status to non-op ( I think), but the point of this rant is just to get off my chest what a total POS this car is and what a total POS company Hyundai is. I don't want to hear it, so please save your time. The engine in this car has a design flaw that causes it to be under lubricated, and so yes I blame Hyundai Company for the misfortune people in my boat have to endure because of their negligence. The financial hardship this causes people who don't have a lot of money is a shame. Sorry for the rant but I'm just sick over this situation and the fact is there aren't really any less painful solutions to this dilemma. I can;t afford to take on another car payment and insurance while still paying on the POS so options are. Buy a $1500 car to get to work with and keep dumping money into that also just to keep it running. Let the load company repo the POS and destroy the credit rating. So if you then try to go finance another car, you either can't or the interest rate is through the roof. Or move to a new area where I can take public transportation to work and the store and to pickup my young son from school etc. Like I said its a just a totally screwed up situation with no easy way out. I guess maybe I CAN blame myself for this. Perhaps if I had made better choices when I was younger, I would be able to absorb the cost of the POS and just buy another car with cash.
I REALLY hope that all of the stories posted describing the engine problems with this car will at the very least, give pause to some people considering buying a car made by this company. There are tons of other better options out there. Never again will I own a Hyundai or a Kia (That's another story in itself). Yea, I'm going to have to put a personal moratorium on any vehicles made in Korea or from this sh*&bag company regardless of where they snap them together. OH no, have to run, my Uber is pulling up the street! Have a great day everyone.

·
Premium Member
15' 380GT BK2 M/T ;P
90 Posts
That all really sucks and I'm sorry this is your experience but for what its worth, it sounds like the first owner abused it which isnt surprising considering the demographic this car attracts.

But what exactly is wrong with the engine?

edit:
-100K on my 2015 3.8 and have had literally zero issues (outside of me messing it up by changing parts lmao)
-160K on my old 2009 Sonata 2.0, only mechanical issue was a replaced alternator around 120K.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There weren't a ton of coupes made so there aren't a ton of engines available. 2.0 or 3.8 they are hard to come by and expensive. Previous owner probably didn't take care of it. I have a 2.0 with 113k and I abuse it daily and it's never given me an issue. Oil change every 3k and you're good to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.
I have a 2013 Track edition with 67k miles currently and no engine issues at all other than a wiring issue I got fixed under warranty. I’m the first owner and I daily drive this thing. Like the others are saying, regular maintenance is key and the previous owner probably beat yours to **** before you got it. I don’t think I’d ever buy a used one after reading that a lot of people on here experimenting with mod then putting all the stock stuff back on before selling. You never know what you are getting.
That being said, there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people on here that can give you advice if you have the space, time, and know-how to work on it. I wish you all the best and hope you find resolution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear. Stuff happens. My daughters 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman All4 S just did the same. 75K miles. Well maintained. Totally shot. Used replacement engine installed roughly $7K! Thank God I had just paid it off. We decided not to install it and sold it as a junker. Lucky to have gotten $1,200 for that POS boat anchor... My 2010 3.8 GT has 156,000 miles and other than normal wear items its be a wonderful car. Bad luck. Sorry man.

·
Registered
2012 genesis coupe 2.0T Premium
3 Posts
Hyundai and Kia just went thru a class action lawsuit. I work for Kia in parts. If you can show that you’ve got a proper oil change done every 3k miles.. all Theta 2 2.0t engines are covered for a new engine. Unfortunately the 3.8 isn’t included

·
Advenio Pariter
4,063 Posts
I had a 2011 BK1 2.0T. When I traded it at over 134k miles it still ran like a top and did not use any oil. I certainly had my fun with the car. As stated above I was absolutely meticulous regarding servicing the car, including the transmission. This car was more reliable than my previous Toyota and on par with the Honda we had at the time.

·
God
58 Posts
That all really sucks and I'm sorry this is your experience but for what its worth, it sounds like the first owner abused it which isnt surprising considering the demographic this car attracts.

But what exactly is wrong with the engine?

edit:
-100K on my 2015 3.8 and have had literally zero issues (outside of me messing it up by changing parts lmao)
-160K on my old 2009 Sonata 2.0, only mechanical issue was a replaced alternator around 120K.
I also have 175k (Canada so km) on my 2012 3.8 m/t and I beat on it super hard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts