Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I want to start building up my 2014 2.0t but it seems like every mod I look up is illegal in California other then cat back exhausts does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Or anyone live in California and have done mods to there car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
plasti dip, window tint are the only legal mods in ca.... lol honestly your best bet is to either mod the car and dont worry about anything until smog comes around. or b keep it stock..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Best bet is a tuned ECU ,swap OE back in for smog tax . On a side note put OE ECU back in a few days before test to recalibrate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot you guys I appreciate it I might just do the mods and coming close to smog check I'll switch them out I guess I won't go crazy cold air intake and turboback exhaust and tune

·
Registered
98 Posts
You sound like my friend that moved to San Diego. Which is probably why he bought a Genesis Sedan and just joined the VIP "Stanced" crowd. Who cares if you have a dangerous 45 degrees of camber, stretched tires, and questionable suspension mods. As long as you don't pollute (Cali Logic).

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Tint is not legal on front Windows. All mods are fine unless they alter or bypass emission systems. Have fun.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Also, CA doesn't care if you have tuned ecu as long as the readiness checks are green, you're fine. Any intake systems will require a CARB sticker in order to pass smog inspection. If something won't pass smog inspection, just swap stock parts back on before inspection. I just passed smog with my SRT4 and it's highly modded including custom tune, bigger turbo and no cat.

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
Technically doing anything to your car is illegal in cali, other than regular maintenance stuff.
Does it mean that you aren't going to pass if you have a bumper sticker? no

And what stuff you can pass with, is entirely up to the place you are going to to get inspected.

Main things are; smog/sniffer, visual, CEL/codes.

visual is where most people don't pass, because most of the time, it's obvious when something isn't stock.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Technically doing anything to your car is illegal in cali, other than regular maintenance stuff.
Does it mean that you aren't going to pass if you have a bumper sticker? no

And what stuff you can pass with, is entirely up to the place you are going to to get inspected.

Main things are; smog/sniffer, visual, CEL/codes.

visual is where most people don't pass, because most of the time, it's obvious when something isn't stock.
Not true at all. Again, you can do what ever you want as long as parts like intakes have a CARB sticker, like the AEM CAI I have on the SRT4. Passes inspection no problem. You just can't modify the emissions system (PCV, catch can, catalytic converter, etc) because 1) you won't pass the ready checks if for example a tuner has disabled the secondary O2 2) visual inspection.

CA doesn't do sniff test anymore, so you can have a gutted cat and still pass as long as you don't have any CEL's and your readiness checks are all green/pass. All they do is a visual and hook up an OBD2 plug to a computer and run some checks.

There are some visual things you can't do like red/blue lights, can't mimic an emergency vehicle. For trucks you can't have a lift in which your head lights are more than 52" from the ground, window tint.

They might ding you for loud exhaust, but it's a fix it ticket and a rare one at that. They won't pull you over JUST for that, nor will they pull you over JUST for tint.

Again, if you're worried about passing smog then just go back to stock parts to pass visual and make sure you don't have any CELs or pending CELs. Do not clear your codes before a smog check or you'll reset your readiness checks and will not pass.

Been modifying cars and passing smog in CA for many many years now. Most parts you buy will say, "not legal in CA" and that's ONLY because it doesn't have a CARB sticker. It costs more money to get that stupid thing, so most vendors won't bother. AEM is located in SoCal, so they are one of the few companies who do offer it.

Beyond emissions, they don't care if you're lowered, have CBE and won't ever know if you have internal work done, tunes, even turbos or bigger turbos.

But how much hassle you receive will depend on what shop you go to. If you have to get smogged by a STAR certified shop, then you'll have a harder time because they are stricter, but usually you don't have to do that unless you have been flagged for failing smog previously. But, I just passed smog with my Neon which is highly modded at a STAR shop. He told me he shouldn't pass me because I have a high flow cat, but he was cool about it and let us go. I learned at that point they don't do sniff tests any more.

So, as I said, have fun.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Another note on the shop you go to, the last time we went to a shop to smog the Neon, the guy opened the hood and saw the intake and told us he can't pass us because he has no idea what any of "those parts" were. "It's a simple intake with a CARB sticker on it" I told him, but he pointed to the vacuum lines and solenoids (stock from factory) and some other things that were factory. Sometimes they are complete idiots. The cleaner the shop, the less likely they are to be cool with you.

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
Not true at all. Again, you can do what ever you want as long as parts like intakes have a CARB sticker, like the AEM CAI I have on the SRT4. Passes inspection no problem. You just can't modify the emissions system (PCV, catch can, catalytic converter, etc) because 1) you won't pass the ready checks if for example a tuner has disabled the secondary O2 2) visual inspection.

CA doesn't do sniff test anymore, so you can have a gutted cat and still pass as long as you don't have any CEL's and your readiness checks are all green/pass. All they do is a visual and hook up an OBD2 plug to a computer and run some checks.

There are some visual things you can't do like red/blue lights, can't mimic an emergency vehicle. For trucks you can't have a lift in which your head lights are more than 52" from the ground, window tint.

They might ding you for loud exhaust, but it's a fix it ticket and a rare one at that. They won't pull you over JUST for that, nor will they pull you over JUST for tint.

Again, if you're worried about passing smog then just go back to stock parts to pass visual and make sure you don't have any CELs or pending CELs. Do not clear your codes before a smog check or you'll reset your readiness checks and will not pass.

Been modifying cars and passing smog in CA for many many years now. Most parts you buy will say, "not legal in CA" and that's ONLY because it doesn't have a CARB sticker. It costs more money to get that stupid thing, so most vendors won't bother. AEM is located in SoCal, so they are one of the few companies who do offer it.

Beyond emissions, they don't care if you're lowered, have CBE and won't ever know if you have internal work done, tunes, even turbos or bigger turbos.

But how much hassle you receive will depend on what shop you go to. If you have to get smogged by a STAR certified shop, then you'll have a harder time because they are stricter, but usually you don't have to do that unless you have been flagged for failing smog previously. But, I just passed smog with my Neon which is highly modded at a STAR shop. He told me he shouldn't pass me because I have a high flow cat, but he was cool about it and let us go. I learned at that point they don't do sniff tests any more.

So, as I said, have fun.
You're going by CARB standards (an gov organization that hardly know anything about cars, and makes money on companies to "purchase" CARB OE stickers)

What I meant by illegal are the standards that DOT and NHTSA "suggest" which pertain to the whole car.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
You're going by CARB standards (an gov organization that hardly know anything about cars, and makes money on companies to "purchase" CARB OE stickers)

What I meant by illegal are the standards that DOT and NHTSA "suggest" which pertain to the whole car.
Right, and that's a potential issue if you go to get your car inspected, but I've only ever had to get an inspection twice and that was when bringing a car from one state to another to register it.

But these are things like, must have VIN plates, must have doors and mirrors, must have an engine that is the same year or newer than the original vehicle, must have seat belts, tires within spec, etc. It doesn't dictate what performance modifications you can have, but how safe the car is (both to driver/passengers and other drivers) and making sure it still qualifies as a road worthy vehicle.

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
Things like HID bulbs in halogen headlight housings are not legal, and that's been argued as a safety issue.

NHTSA has fined manufactures/retailers in the US (with a business address) $10 grand per unit installed on street driven vehicles.

That's why you have to buy them from someplace out of the US or from a comany that doesn't have a US business address.

If a cop pulls you over and they know about this, you get issued a fix-it ticket.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Things like HID bulbs in halogen headlight housings are not legal, and that's been argued as a safety issue.

NHTSA has fined manufactures/retailers in the US (with a business address) $10 grand per unit installed on street driven vehicles.

That's why you have to buy them from someplace out of the US or from a comany that doesn't have a US business address.

If a cop pulls you over and they know about this, you get issued a fix-it ticket.
Correct. Safety to driver/passengers and other drivers. Anyone who violates that simple rule is a d-bag in the first degree and deserves to be pulled over.

·
Project Genesis
8 Posts
Realistically as long as you dont have a screaming exhaust and red and blue lights you will not get pulled over. HID's are rarely issues unless your lights are incredibly bright due to the advances in leds that the new cars are using these days. When it comes to a smog check as long as you have you stock intake and take your downpipe, 02 housing and test pipe off and replace with your oem cats you'll pass. Otherwise California is the most ****ed up state when it comes to modding.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
prius mod...

only known legal mod in Cali. lol

·
Premium Member
15,457 Posts
Realistically as long as you dont have a screaming exhaust and red and blue lights you will not get pulled over. HID's are rarely issues unless your lights are incredibly bright due to the advances in leds that the new cars are using these days. When it comes to a smog check as long as you have you stock intake and take your downpipe, 02 housing and test pipe off and replace with your oem cats you'll pass. Otherwise California is the most ****ed up state when it comes to modding.
Cops have have just started cracking down on HIDs (by cracking down, I mean actually doing something about) up here....

And I live is Alaska, where they stopped smog enforcement like 5 or 6 years ago.

And they aren't LEDs, they are xenon gas bulbs. If you run 35w/55w through an LED, it's gonna pop. :p

FYI, HIDs in halogen housing, make YOU seeing the road worse. They maybe brighter, but don't do jack in letting you see further down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to purchase a 2011 Genesis 3.8. Does anyone make a CARB legal CAI for it? The car has an aftermarket intake and they don't have the stock air box. ?Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts