Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently got myself a 2010 2.0t genesis and I’ve had it for about 6 months now and I started having overheating issues within my 2 month of having my car. when it first started over heating it kinda smelled like coolant inside my car so I took it to a mechanic, and he told me I had a blown head gasket, he fix that problem then, the car didn’t over heat for about 3 weeks or a month, but occasionally I would smell coolant inside my car still and then it started over heating again so I basically replaced everything that would make my car over heat, I got new radiator, hoses, intercooler, intercooler piping, thermostat, etc. And my car still over heats and I still smell coolant in my car if I can get y’all opinion would my bad heater core make the car over heat ?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,606 Posts
Yes if it is clogged. It is the main return for the coolant, the coolant for the tubo and the thermostat go exclusively though the heater core before ending up back at the water pump. There is another line that bypasses all that and dumps into the back of the water pump. But this is partially sealed off when the tstat is in full open at around 215F or so. Then this is partially closed off.

So if the core is plugged it is a lose/lose situation. Easy to bypass though.

·
Premium Member
16,241 Posts
So I just recently got myself a 2010 2.0t genesis and I’ve had it for about 6 months now and I started having overheating issues within my 2 month of having my car. when it first started over heating it kinda smelled like coolant inside my car so I took it to a mechanic, and he told me I had a blown head gasket, he fix that problem then, the car didn’t over heat for about 3 weeks or a month, but occasionally I would smell coolant inside my car still and then it started over heating again so I basically replaced everything that would make my car over heat, I got new radiator, hoses, intercooler, intercooler piping, thermostat, etc. And my car still over heats and I still smell coolant in my car if I can get y’all opinion would my bad heater core make the car over heat ?
If it's clogged it's pretty easy to clear out.

drain the coolant
on the back of the engine, there are 2 coolant lines going to the firewall
disconnect these, and get some vinyl hose from a hardware store, and fit it on the tubes from the firewall (2 tubes).
have the end of the hose drain away from the engine bay.
connect a garden hose to one of the vinyl hose, and flow water through
let it flow for like a minute, and check if the water coming out of the other side seems restricted.
now turn off the water and connect the garden hose to the other hose and repeat.

BUT, since you replaced the thermostat, it makes me think it's something else.
when cold, the thermostat is closed and makes the coolant flow through the heater core (small loop), then when it gets close to temp, it opens, allowing the coolant to flow through both heater core and radiator (large loop)
it's made this way because (especially in cold environments) it would take forever for the coolant to get up to temp if it just flowed through the radiator.

I think there is air in the system.
When cold, make sure there is some coolant in the overflow tank at the low mark.
lift the front of the car, just to where the tires are barely off the ground. (you want where the rad cap is, to be the highest point in the system... air/bubbles goes to the highest point)
remove the rad cap, fill the radiator as much are you can
start the engine and let it run for like 15 min
fill more and check every so often to see if it needs more.
when done, shut the engine off, put rad cap on, and lower the car.
Now fill the overflow to at least the mid point of the high/low marks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts