Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to possibly do a "clear-bra" on the front of my Genesis to protect it from road debris, bugs, etc.

I know 3M makes such a film that will wrap around the front nose, front edge of the hood, covers headlights and also has additional covers for the fronts of the door mirror shells. The problem being, the cost if buying from 3M.

I've seen other "kits" available, such as on eBay and so forth, but, I'm not sure of the quality of those kits (ie: how well they adhere, if the film will yellow, etc) and/or if they would damage the body surfaces IF wanting to remove in the future?

If anyone is using such a film on the front of their Genesis - can you please offer up some advice, where you purchased and your overall synopsis of the product (pros/cons)?

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
+1
I been looking for something like these since I first saw it on a porche

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
I'm looking to possibly do a "clear-bra" on the front of my Genesis to protect it from road debris, bugs, etc.

I know 3M makes such a film that will wrap around the front nose, front edge of the hood, covers headlights and also has additional covers for the fronts of the door mirror shells. The problem being, the cost if buying from 3M.

I've seen other "kits" available, such as on eBay and so forth, but, I'm not sure of the quality of those kits (ie: how well they adhere, if the film will yellow, etc) and/or if they would damage the body surfaces IF wanting to remove in the future?

If anyone is using such a film on the front of their Genesis - can you please offer up some advice, where you purchased and your overall synopsis of the product (pros/cons)?
This is an area where the "You get what you pay for" statement is very important.

If you decide to cheap out and get an inferior Clear Bra product, you might end up having to redo it sooner than later, or you might see the film go yellow on you.

I was quoted 200$ for 3M clear bra, installed and warrantied, for 1/3 of the hood, fenders and bumper.

You can wash it often, wax it with no appearance change.

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
This is an area where the "You get what you pay for" statement is very important.

If you decide to cheap out and get an inferior Clear Bra product, you might end up having to redo it sooner than later, or you might see the film go yellow on you.

I was quoted 200$ for 3M clear bra, installed and warrantied, for 1/3 of the hood, fenders and bumper.

You can wash it often, wax it with no appearance change.
Where is this!? Just at any regular tint plc or what I'm from socal

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Where is this!? Just at any regular tint plc or what I'm from socal
Usually the better car detail places will have those products, my dealer uses a sub-contractor, which is a tint place..LOL

·
Yeah budday!
237 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a 3m kit off ebay about 1.5yrs ago and did the install myself on my speed6. It took quite awhile to install but was a fun experience. Only problem I had with the kit was that it was pre cut and didnt fit the car very well so I had to tug on it and caused some areas to look weird, but it served the purpose. I believe the kit was 160ish.

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
My dad purchased an online kit for about $400 which included: bumper, front of the hood (about 1/2 the way up the hood), front fenders and both sideview mirrors. They look OK, but god damn was it hard to install.

Took my dad, my brother and I to install the bumper as it was one big piece.

IMO, if you can find a reputable place that will install the 3M or similar (that they guarantee) and are reasonably priced, go for a professional install.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Solar Gard Clearshield is a great product. I have Llumar stuff on my car and my wifes car. Great stuff matches factory orange peel perfectly.

Her Sonata

Side shot of my coupe

Ive got plenty more pics if you would like.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you apply a coat of wax to the areas you are going to clear bra then stick the film over that it will be easier to remove down the road. On previous removals ive taken the paint off with the bra. Done removals on cars that i waxed then installed. Came off much easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got it included with the purchase of the car. Dealer is installing it tuesday. Il snap pictures once its done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm a big fan of VentureShield. I've had it on my car for a few months now and it looks awesome. It's a bit thinner than the others which is good because you can barely see it, and it's got a lifetime warranty against yellowing, etc.

·
In a cool car
57 Posts
use lowest petroleum content wax or sealant.
Otherwise, it will get cloudy.
I've had it happen to me in the past.
And don't use something that leaves white residue, it will show the edges of the clearbra, and hard to remove.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts