Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just to let everyone know, I was told by another member on here that there was a way to completely bypass the "Brokerage Fees" the various transport companies add to each package sent from the state to us Canadian Buyers.

First thing you'll need to do is get your tracking # as quickly as possible from the seller, because you have to contact the transport company BEFORE the packages reach the Customs in Canada.

You need to call them and tell them that you would like to do the brokerage yourself. After that, you will need to find where the actual packages will be sent, normally a distribution center near where they dispatch the shipments locally. The agents can provide you with the proper information as to where you will need to go.

When the Packages have reached the local pickup place, you will need to go there, pick up the actual Customs papers the seller will have included in/on the boxes/packages (or have them faxed depending on which shipping company was used, some won't produce/accept reproductions), so you can take them and have the Canadian Duties paid for it.

You will have to locate the actual office where the Canadian Customs are located, there are numerous places where you can go and pay for whatever you need to. Usually they have offices near/in the industrial sectors/airports and such.

After you have payed and received the proper papers stating so, you will need to go back to the shipping company place and actually pick your package up after presenting them with the Canadian customs invoice stating that the duties where paid.

Now the "Fun" part: You will save a good chunk of change I can tell you that!!

I bought the Stage 2 package from BRL (minus a couple items I already had), and the only thing I had to pay was the actual local taxes, which weren't even as high as I first calculated... It cost me ~320$ in taxes for a ~2500$ order. Normally it would have cost 450$(taxes)+86$(brokerage).

Also note that in UPS's case I was told that if I still wanted to have the package delivered after I had taken care of the duties myself, that they would do it as part of the actual shipping, at no additional costs.!

It took me about 45 minutes to take care of the paperwork(having to visit 2 different offices in 2 different places was the bulk of the time spent) and TBH I waited longer after to get the actual package from UPS than doing the brokerage.....

Also UPS/Canadian customs did all the paperwork, since I didn't even have to fill out any form, everything was prepared in advance (at no charge).

So, I hope this helps, feel free to drop a PM for any questions about this.

BTW I live in Montreal, QC, but this applies to most of Canada.

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,273 Posts
Did all of this happened near Dorval airport?

That reminds me very much of what my GF does when ever she receives an order from Asia through Air shipping. Makes sense.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did all of this happened near Dorval airport?
Yes, yes it did..!!! Both offices where in Lachine within 5-8 minutes form each other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, sounds pretty crazy but saving a lot of money on the brokerage fee's and taxes rocks!

I will have to give this a try.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, sounds pretty crazy but saving a lot of money on the brokerage fee's and taxes rocks!

I will have to give this a try.
You shouldn't hesitate to try, you will only save $$$ in the end.!!

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
I think it was me.

Stickied.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Good info if UPS is the only option. To save you the trouble just ask the person shipping to not use UPS, they are the only ones with brokerage fees.

·
***** Know It All
415 Posts
Also, use the thefinalcost.com before shipping to see what your landed price is

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good info if UPS is the only option. To save you the trouble just ask the person shipping to not use UPS, they are the only ones with brokerage fees.
^^I though so at first, but I had a vendor use a 1-2 day service with USPS and since they sub-contract to Purolator/FedEx when you want to have the package sent to you quickly (overnight or 1-2 days) they charge you for brokerage fees. I know I tried every which way to get out of the fees, trust me.

If you go through USPS/Canada Post with normal delivery times (7-10days), then you won't be charged brokerage fees, only duties.

You still have to do some of the leg work, but the cash saved is worth it.:D

·
Vendor
4,589 Posts
FedEx charges brokerage fees as well. You'll also need to arrange your own brokerage for any freight shipments coming through as well. If you think UPS/FedEx is expensive, a 3rd party brokerage company is worse.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just have the company ship the package to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, where I go pick it up. Just bring all of your paper work (prove of payment) and some money to pay for the tax. From Ottawa it takes me 45min to get to Ogdensburg.

But the best way to ship the package is to have them write 'gift' on the package. This only works provate sale.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just have the company ship the package to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, where I go pick it up. Just bring all of your paper work (prove of payment) and some money to pay for the tax. From Ottawa it takes me 45min to get to Ogdensburg.

But the best way to ship the package is to have them write 'gift' on the package. This only works provate sale.
^^In fact, it all depends on what value you write on the package. Even if you tick the "Gift" box, if the value is 600$ chances are you will get taxes added. They don't want to let things fly by unchecked, so they charge duties on it.

The problem lies in the declared insurance for the product. If you want any insurance you have to write the proper item value, from which they determine the duties. And sellers want the added security the shipping insurances add to the whole process.

If you ship things through USPS/Canada Post with under 100$ in value, they don't add the taxes/duties at all, since the amount is so minute.

Also note that there's been changes in how the governments collects taxes/duties from online shops, so expect almost all online retailers to fill out the proper NAFTA papers for each customer they send products to from now on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So if you're going to the border to do all this, wouldn't it be simpler and possibly cheaper (since shipping within US is usually cheaper and sometimes free) to just ship to a us address, pick it up and bring the items back yourself? There's no brokerage fees if you do that. Right?

In fact, if it is for your car, wouldn't it be smarter to install it on your car and drive back and declare $0?

Please let me know if I've missed something in in my comparison between the two methods.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if you're going to the border to do all this, wouldn't it be simpler and possibly cheaper (since shipping within US is usually cheaper and sometimes free) to just ship to a us address, pick it up and bring the items back yourself? There's no brokerage fees if you do that. Right?

In fact, if it is for your car, wouldn't it be smarter to install it on your car and drive back and declare $0?

Please let me know if I've missed something in in my comparison between the two methods.
Picking it up form the US will result in you having to cross the border back with the items in the car. If you want to take a chance and not declare the item, good luck, if you get inspected, you're FUBARed big time.

If you declare the item, you will have to fill up the same paperwork and pay the same amount that you would have paid if you did it yourself near where you live. Taxes/Duties remain the same wherever you go to pay them.

Also going state side to install the stuff might be an option for some, but again if you go there to buy/install a complete exhaust for example, where the heck would you put the OEM one after? Unless you want to throw out all your OEM stuff, you're still stuck with the Items in the car. Then try and explain to the Customs agents why you are traveling with car parts in the car.

Also having access to a lift/garage is not always easy, and depending on which, but the reputable Shops are a long way from home, so if you intend on driving there, you won't offset the shipping cost that much when you factor in the gas, hotel/motel and such.

Getting an US PO box to ship to is an option, but most places will ask for a residency proof before they allow you to own a PO box in the states.

I've explored many of those solutions, but again it wouldn't yield much savings in the end.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
This would have been the perfect idea when I bought my exhaust. It would have saved me about $300. Of course you have to lie about any declarations when you get to the border on the way back though right?

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
This would have been the perfect idea when I bought my exhaust. It would have saved me about $300. Of course you have to lie about any declarations when you get to the border on the way back though right?
Get caught just once and see what happens...You think they'll just ask you nicely to pay the duties once they notice something is up, but you're wrong.

Lying to a border agent is a felony.

From there they can do pretty much anything they want with you and your car. Ever had you car in pieces? It's not fun.

Also you'll get flagged, so good luck on going back and forth to the US after that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Picking it up form the US will result in you having to cross the border back with the items in the car. If you want to take a chance and not declare the item, good luck, if you get inspected, you're FUBARed big time.

If you declare the item, you will have to fill up the same paperwork and pay the same amount that you would have paid if you did it yourself near where you live. Taxes/Duties remain the same wherever you go to pay them.

Also going state side to install the stuff might be an option for some, but again if you go there to buy/install a complete exhaust for example, where the heck would you put the OEM one after? Unless you want to throw out all your OEM stuff, you're still stuck with the Items in the car. Then try and explain to the Customs agents why you are traveling with car parts in the car.

Also having access to a lift/garage is not always easy, and depending on which, but the reputable Shops are a long way from home, so if you intend on driving there, you won't offset the shipping cost that much when you factor in the gas, hotel/motel and such.

Getting an US PO box to ship to is an option, but most places will ask for a residency proof before they allow you to own a PO box in the states.

I've explored many of those solutions, but again it wouldn't yield much savings in the end.
I mistakenly thought that you needed to do that paperwork b4 the item enters Canada. I re-read your original post and now understand that you do this in your area (courier's nearest warehouse/sorting center).

So you are saving mainly gas and time from driving to the US compared to the method I stated earlier.

I"ll have to explore this with a smaller order so I don't make a mistake and screw myself over. :p

Thanks Dude!

If I pick-up and install a spoiler in the US (base model doesn't have any) you think customs will be able to notice this? Do they scan your car leaving and re-enter the border? How detailed do they track your car? B4 entering the US side, they have all those cameras and speciallized detectors, but coming back to Canada, I don't see anything except maybe a camera.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mistakenly thought that you needed to do that paperwork b4 the item enters Canada. I re-read your original post and now understand that you do this in your area (courier's nearest warehouse/sorting center).

So you are saving mainly gas and time from driving to the US compared to the method I stated earlier.

I"ll have to explore this with a smaller order so I don't make a mistake and screw myself over. :p

Thanks Dude!

If I pick-up and install a spoiler in the US (base model doesn't have any) you think customs will be able to notice this? Do they scan your car leaving and re-enter the border? How detailed do they track your car? B4 entering the US side, they have all those cameras and speciallized detectors, but coming back to Canada, I don't see anything except maybe a camera.
For something that is installed and looks OEM, I don't think they check the pictures or whatnot, but in the case of parts you have spare parts from (exhaust, intake, IC, body kits), I wouldn't risk taking the parts back and not telling the Border agents about it.

BTW looking at spoilers, I got mine for ~150$ painted/installed from the dealer, and it's a copy of the OEM US model . If I didn't tell you it's not OEM, you wouldn't be able to tell.

·
Registered
282 Posts
BTW looking at spoilers, I got mine for ~150$ painted/installed from the dealer, and it's a copy of the OEM US model . If I didn't tell you it's not OEM, you wouldn't be able to tell.
Can you PM me how to get this? assuming it is still available for this price. :bowdown:

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you PM me how to get this? assuming it is still available for this price. :bowdown:
I'll try and get the number from the place my dealer bough it form. I think they make the molds and parts themselves, so availability shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mind that it's in the vicinity of montreal, so some shipping may be added to the price.

I'll try and ask if they can do unpainted for cheaper also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts