Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a long time coming, hopefully I will find the time to keep this thread updated! As some of you may know we up here in Canada have a multi car Genesis Coupe program that runs in the Canadian Touring Car Championship. As far as I know this is the only North American Genesis racing program so far, but it's only a matter of time until Hyundai USA steps up and builds a pro car either for Speed World Challenge GT or Rolex GT in my opinion. Although maybe they will just stick to the rally stuff. Who knows!

I thought you guys would be interested in our racing so I'll post updates here. The cool thing about what we do differently from a lot of other pro teams, is that we openly discuss and display our ideas, fabrication and builds as they happen. I guess it's because I've always been part of the community and I know how much I enjoyed learning the details of racecar builds before I was into it myself!

Last year we had a few wins in the series, and being a touring car series the 3.8L V6 got us a lot of complaints from fellow competitors. The idea is that no naturally aspirated engine should be allowed over 3.0L and no forced induction over 2.0L.

SO 2.0's it is! We're not allowed ANY internals, and must use stock manifolds. Haltech has come on board as an ECU sponsor and I'm in the middle of doing the engine wiring harnesses. These are MIL-Spec harnesses that are on the same level as something you would see in Grand-Am or ALMS. Well except we aren't using the Autosport connectors because they are over $200 for a complete connector assembly!

The driver is moved as far back as possible, and for that reason we can't use the OE dash to mount the switches. We'd never be able to reach anything once strapped in. This switch box will be powdercoated black once it's all done and I'm sure will look badass.

As far as the 2L engine goes, we've modified the lower and upper water necks to adapt -16 fittings, and we've removed all of the other coolant pipes from the engine. No more header core or crossover tubes. That also means for reliability no more thermostat. We can run restrictors in the OE location if we desire. 2 -6 bungs were welded to the rear of the water pump housing to feed the turbo, and the front head bleed is routed via a -6 line to the upper radiator outlet. I hope this will help the system self bleed.

The oil system will be rather simple, I'll have updates on that shortly!

SPEC has just signed on as a sponsor and will be supplying their Stage 4 clutch and aluminum flywheels, so we're really excited about that. I'm always impressed at how fast the manufacturers are able to product aftermarket products for such a new car.

The rough metal work is done on the 3rd chassis and is now going for paint. When it returns we'll be assembling it, most of the parts are already done and ready as they are just duplicates of the other two cars for the most part.

More updates to come soon!

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
so. friggin. subscribed.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
Great update Sasha :) this upcoming season is going to be a blast!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Awesome - btw Sasha did you guys decide on the bigger turbo?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice. Sad you're N/A is limited to 3.0 I'm still trying to figure out what you would consider quickly, in the instance of product development.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Friggin right Sasha!!! This is going to be badass...

·
///H Power
866 Posts
Subscribed... Good luck in 2011... Hope your 2.0T works out, I miss your 3.8 already :'(

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
Boo!

3.8 FTW! :D

·
Resident Critic
841 Posts
Boo!

3.8 FTW! :D
You should have heard the other CASC racers bitching about the 3.8 being allowed in last year.

That being said, it was understood that the exception was made for the Genesis team due to the fact it added another factory competitor which brings more money and people, and ultimately better racing.

It was never going to be a long term thing.

Sash, gl this year, I'll see you at Mosport this summer.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
Yup, it's going to be a good year at Mosport!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That's what I don't get...I would rather have a 3.8L to race against then the 2.0T.

Reason being power bands.

I can't remember if it was Sasha or another team member was inquiring about twin scroll and the ability to get a plate for it since modified manifolds are banned. Anyway, say you had a proper twin scroll GT, with that amount of torque throughout the power band, the 2.0T would destroy anything in the group. The 3.8L would never be able to create the torque the 2.0T could throughout the power band without going forced induction.

I think they mentioned they were going with a GT28??? Hopefully they say

·
Joe-Shmoe
2,275 Posts
RudyH said:
That's what I don't get...I would rather have a 3.8L to race against then the 2.0T.

Reason being power bands.
It's not a daily drivable car we are talking about here it's a race car that will be driven in it's ideal power band pretty much all the time regardless. Racing is very much about reliability and in that department, NA>FI. There is just to big of a displacement difference in between the 2.0 and 3.8 to compete in the same category.

On the main topic, gratz on the new engines and keep us posted about your work with Haltech!!

·
The OG
7,957 Posts
You should have heard the other CASC racers bitching about the 3.8 being allowed in last year.

That being said, it was understood that the exception was made for the Genesis team due to the fact it added another factory competitor which brings more money and people, and ultimately better racing.

It was never going to be a long term thing.

Sash, gl this year, I'll see you at Mosport this summer.
Oh I totally understand why it happened, I'm just sad not to see a 3.8 get some aftermarket/racing love.

Damn 2.0T's... :fleshbox:

·
Resident Critic
841 Posts
Oh I totally understand why it happened, I'm just sad not to see a 3.8 get some aftermarket/racing love.

Damn 2.0T's... :fleshbox:
Yeah, honestly, 2.0T's get all the development haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone!

We're excited to be running the 2L's for hopefully an improved weight distribution, but I am nervous about reliability (specifically cooling) and boost response. Having torque is great, but the ability to have all of that torque instantly available like you can with a naturally aspirated engine is a totally different thing. I'm sure if we tuned the car to have the identical power and torque we had last year the cars would still be 2-3 tenths per lap slower because of the lag and the difficulty to modulate how much power you're putting down coming out of corners, specifically slower ones.

A small update:

- Seems the 2.0/3.8 driveshaft is the same, so we'll be able to re-use that driveshaft for now.

- We've got the belt routing figured out for a 2.0t with A/C delete, it requires rotating the tensioner assembly and drilling a new hole for it's dowel pin, but it looks like this setup will work. We'll test it before confirming and then tell you guys how to do it and the belt length you'll need - it's only a matter of time until guys start getting rid of AC!

- We're working with Haltech to try and get a setup going where we can have both intake and exhaust cam funcationality. Right now it looks like we may only be able to use the variable intake cam with the ECU's we're running.

- For turbo's we were going to try and wait for the Borg Warner EFR's but I feel the wait may be a little longer than we can afford and are going to use the bolt-in solution from ATP. We're deciding on whether the 2860 or the 2871 is the best choice for us. The 2860 would be great if we can still make the power we need, as it should spool a lot faster.

- We have the 88 car presently at the shop which is the car that pumped the tirewall at Mosport at over 60mph (left the track at 100mph). It's already seen the body shop but still needs some love to make sure it'll be good to go for next year. The 86 car is getting painted currently and the 87 is having some bash bars fabbed up, with splitter supports.

- We now have one almost complete engine with the SPEC clutch/flywheel all installed, and it looks like the shifter linkage assembly is the same (but different lengths?) as the 3.8 so that will save us a bit of headache which is good news, as we already know how to extend the 3.8.

The goal right now is to have an engine running by the end of next week, or worst case early the week after (I'm just realizing that already puts us into March!) so that we're ready for testing first thing in April.

Pictures to come!

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
Awesome Sasha! I'm gonna try to come around as soon as I can!

·
Thrice a charm
669 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts