Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been shopping for and looking at many different makes and models lately: late model Mustang GTs and Eco Boosts, Infinity Q60 coupes, 370Zs, Jaguars, Alfa Giulias, etc., etc., so on and so forth, but decided to get a 2016 MX5 GT Launch Ed. with only 1800 mi. and sell my '03 New Beetle Turbo S. The Genesis runs and drives so well, handles so well, and has plenty of power and responsiveness that I could not, for the life of me, part with it. It is a 2010 that I bought new in 10/09 and I LUVIT! It's a great driving and handling sports car, which such great body lines, that I can't understand why it never did sell more successfully and compete more effectively with the Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Agreed, IMHO it was lack of marketing, of all the commercals Hyundai does I have NEVER seen even one for the Genesis coupe, and i'll never understand why. Why go through all the expence of bringing a vehicle to market and not promote it. Dodge has it right in that department, love em or hate em they know how to promote their product.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,967 Posts
Almost 94k miles on mine and it still runs like new. I detailed it a couple of months ago and it looks better than when it was new. My Genny has been paid for since 2013 and with my daughter out of college we have that windfall too. I was eyeing-up a new Civic Si and my wfie said, "go buy one if you want to." Nope... Somebody needs to t-bone me first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would definitely pin it on marketing. Or a lack of.. I didn't even know they existed until I sold my pos Mazda3 '06 and saw a gen at a dealership when I went to look for a new ride. Fell in love immediately, plus the dealer had dropped the price 1k the day before so I got lucky. 18.9k, '12 track w/ 32k miles 6sp 3.8L.

I drove away with it the next day. Only real issue I've had was the clutch falling apart within a month or so. Like material had exploded and fallen apart inside the housing. Still have it laying in my plow truck lol.

Kind of like that it's not a regular vehicle everyone knows of as well, especially in my area. People never believe its a Hyundai. No hate on anyone that drives the other rigs you've said but I'm glad it's not "just another mustang" for example.

·
2010 GC 3.8 Track 6MT
141 Posts
I've been really impressed with the driveability of the GenCoupe in the couple months we've had it. This car was for my son. And now I want one too. ;)

Preferably without water leaks. :grin:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I concur with you guys. I had Corvettes for 20 years years ago. I also owned a 2010 RS and 2012 SS convertible. My 2015 3.8 Ultimate is a better sport coupe out of the box than either Camaro I had. My GC feels very similar to my new, back then 1997 C5 Corvette. I'm a die hard GM guy when it comes to USA brand when I buy. But I'm on my 7th Hyundai in my life now and my GC in my opinion is a classy, good looking and perfoming sport coupe. It's got plenty of power and is what it is. What's a couple of seconds difference any way who is faster? My girl friend just got a 2017 Value edition Veloster N/A. She loves it. And yes it's slow compare to my 2014 Veloster R Spec I had, but she bought it for gas mileage, lol. I'll be keeping my GC maybe for ever unless Hyundai comes out with a new Veloster N type 2.0 in 2019? Maybe!

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I know this song! I've had the same recurring thoughts, too. I can't foresee anything coming to market any time soon that remotely compares at the price. And I bought mine new like a chump! But all said and done, I just wouldn't trade the thing. In fact there are plans to dump stupid amounts of effort and irresponsible amounts of cash into it still. I've got an inexpensive car with decent comfort, minimal gimmicks, respectable performance with a wheel/tire/coilover upgrade, that regularly delivers 29mpg highway and, while I don't really like attention, still gets tons of compliments from random strangers. I just don't see it as replaceable.

·
Bill
587 Posts
Yeah, i have to say i'm in the same boat. i'm always watching the market for the next thing but i'm really liking it. a couple of cheap gadgets gave it new life. my lizard brain thinks it got its new toy...

·
2013 3.8 Auto
58 Posts
I agree with the lack of marketing. The only place I saw this car before I bought it was on Burn Notice for a couple of seasons

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm happy that not a lot of people bought these cars tbh, we should be happy we found this hidden treasure
Terrible for aftermarket though, little demand = little options. No company spends thousands on R&D to make end-user solutions to sell it to all of 45 people. Its why Diablosport tapped out, why "Lap3/Pross" has gone silent, and why tens of other "solutions" are dead in the water. My only hope is that once the prices for these cars fall to the tens or less, that young modders who have the time and energy will take up that slack, much like happened with the DSM scene, they became cheap, more people jumped on them, people figured **** out and then the platform became prevalent.

Reactions: yammyboy

·
Registered
544 Posts
I started searching for a replacement for my 2010 Premium 2.0T during the winter doldrums. Couldn't really find anything that interested me, then while at the dealership I spied a brand new white Premium. It had to be engineered by the auto-gods, so I traded. Probably the last new one I'll ever see around here. Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think Hyundai has the ability to do a much better job of marketing. Look at how well they changed the image, and sales, of Kia. The Optima went from an embarrassment (sales wise), to a top seller in many markets.

Currently on my 2011, I've installed the Megan Racing Street coilovers on the rear. I need to get my tush in gear and get the front installed. I have a turbo back Tsuedo exhaust and a K&N CAI (Which really isn't all that due to design).

I'm in South Texas and it was in the triple digits in June. Genesis handled the heat well. I'm now in the mindset of what my next mod will be. I know a tune will do me well, but I want to finish with the mods before I get the tune so I'm not having to RE-tune the car several times. PM me with which mods to make, in what order and from who. The car is a 2011 with a 2.0t Auto.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,967 Posts
We had some extra money. I could have bought another car...but I bought one of these instead:

Priorities, I guess.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,967 Posts
I thot the wood was integral to the tone... what does that give you besides weight?
This is a Luis and Clark from Boston. This cello is used by The Piano Guys, 2cellos, Yo-Yo Ma and many others. I dare say this is "the standard" but that does not mean it is necessarily the best, I suppose. I had played one before so I was familiar with it. It was designed by a Boston Symphony cellist who started in the late 80's working with a materials engineer. He made a number of prototypes until he decided this design was the one.

This instrument actually sounds like a cello and has the following advantages:

Handles massive weather changes.
Effectively indestructible (within limits).
Is very light weight (not important to me).
Takes MUCH LESS energy to play. I can play longer and not get winded.
Has a really big sound and is very resonant. It stands-up to cellos that cost orders of magnitude more. This is the key point. I have an instrument that will fill a large concert hall and still has the correct sound. To get that with a wooden cello can be many 10's of thousands of dollars.

The only downside, which is exploited by the haters as much as possible, is the sound is very clear and direct. I find I can play faster and more accurately thanks to this weakness. It lacks some of the overtones from a wooden instrument, but not by much. For example the side / back molding is carbon fiber with foam sandwiched in the middle for tone. The top is carbon fiber. I still have a wooden bridge and a wooden sound post. The difference in tone is there, but frankly the player makes the biggest difference. Think a stronger and a somewhat less complex sound.

In a classical orchestra you have "the haters" and the admirers. Most people think these instruments are pretty cool. Thanks to Trump being in the White House my retort to the haters can be boorish and unforgiving... I am kind of looking forward to that.

Reactions: br2
1 - 20 of 26 Posts