Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, I'm not sure where this post should be made and thought it was most sensible to post it here since it only happens when I'm outside the car... Maybe electrical?

So for about a year the car simply refused to lock itself when I have it parked, shut off. When I'm in the car and pull out of the drive way, it locks itself so no one will be flying out while driving. However, when I park and try to lock the car with remote, I don't hear any sound and doesn't lock. Unlock still makes sound and the lights blink normally. So far, since I've been parking in school and at home exclusively, I did not care about it. In couple of months, I will be rotating at hospitals and require to park in public parking space in an area that is not as safe as where I live currently.

Weird thing though is it does lock 'sometimes' by manually with the key. It's only sometimes though. Rest of the time, it refuses at about half turn. Car makes electrical jamming sound when it does. With the car out of warranty, I am hoping to see if this can be fixed without going to the shop (currently spent thousands of dollars signing up for board exams...).

·
Registered
219 Posts
im guessing its the rubber thingy under the hood that doesnt fully get compressed when the hood is closed. I had similar issue and someone here directed me to that and sure enough that was the reason... located just behind the driver side head light...hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im guessing its the rubber thingy under the hood that doesnt fully get compressed when the hood is closed. I had similar issue and someone here directed me to that and sure enough that was the reason... located just behind the driver side head light...hope this helps.
I'm assuming you mean this button pointed by blue arrow? http://imgur.com/tDbZU9Q

I just tried it with additional hard pieces to make sure it gets pressed when the hood is closed. Still the same.

I just noticed this though. Passenger side works fine but driver side is the only one that doesn't work. Also, the ticking noise that is similar to the sound of turn signal is heard when I try to lock it with the key. Ticking sound is from left side, behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After further searching the forum with any words that may be associated with doors, locks, and click, I found this post: http://www.gencoupe.com/electrical-wiring-2008-2012/211993-door-locks-acting-strange-2.html

The poster's complaints are exactly the same as mine and the problem seems to be due to actuator for the door. Just learned a new part name thanks to that post. I don't think it's a problem that can easily be fixed by a novice like me especially it requires taking the window and the window motor out during the process. Trying to search if there's DIY for door disassembly or actuator replacement at the moment. Hopefully there is one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've had the same issue for 2+ years now. My key fob works maybe 33% of the time to lock the doors, otherwise I have to use the door switch or key. Hopefully there is an easier fix than tearing apart the door to get to an actuator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check with the dealer. They can reprogram the door lock feature thru the BCM. I had them set up my locks so it will not auto unlock when I shifted the car into Park. They did not charged me for this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, pulling out the window isn't the most difficult task in the world, just requires some patience with the panels so you don't break and clips or tabs. I've done it on multiple cars when I worked an R&I job at a body shop. First time ever doing it I couldn't figure out how to get the window back in, but just takes patience and some common sense, hahaha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts