Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted some help before I send it to the dealership but I’m having a problem starting my car. With my key fob, I can lock and unlock the doors, I can set off my alarm and open my trunk but my car will not read the key to start. I brought my car home on Labor Day because I’ve been away from work due to an injury, and the next day I go to drive it up the road to pick up prescriptions the very next day and won’t start. Even in the key reader, it’s still showing that there is no key in the car. I’ve read forum after forum and can’t find anything. I’ve replaced the batteries in both fobs, checked my battery and even got my fobs tested and still nothing. Can someone please help me out???

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't want to give you false info so I will not comment about the coupe. However, this happened on one of my cars and it did the exact same symptoms you have, it ended up being that the electronics that communicated between the ignition and the key fob.
Stopped talking to each other.
Saying you replaced batteries on both fobs suggest you tried two different fobs and it still won't start. Have you tried using a jump start for the battery? May be a cable issue.. hopefully. It's worth a shot.
Clean the terminals and jump start the car(do it correctly as not to mess up anything)
Doubt if it's that, but it's a free try. Good luck bro. Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to give you false info so I will not comment about the coupe. However, this happened on one of my cars and it did the exact same symptoms you have, it ended up being that the electronics that communicated between the ignition and the key fob.
Stopped talking to each other.
Saying you replaced batteries on both fobs suggest you tried two different fobs and it still won't start. Have you tried using a jump start for the battery? May be a cable issue.. hopefully. It's worth a shot.
Clean the terminals and jump start the car(do it correctly as not to mess up anything)
Doubt if it's that, but it's a free try. Good luck bro. Hope it works out for you
Unfortunately I have tried to jump it too and still no success. Honestly, I feel like that will be the problem with my car and I’m hoping to take it to the dealership today to get looked at and hopefully fixed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Fobs go bad,..like all electronics. if you get 3 years out of them your lucky. Buy oem, brand new fobs on ebay, take them to your dealer,(that alone will save you boat loads. Then have them re program them,...keep your keys. The reprogram should cost about 60.00.
My dealer did both of mine, bought at different times for free..................

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Before I replaced mine, I had my Hyundai expert test mine. He said it was sketchy,........they are not expensive.
My first one went bad after what its a 2013, went down 2017. The second went down 2019, so one was 4 years, the second was 6 years. I always say electronic accessory crap in general,...3 years....LOL.

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
Before I replaced mine, I had my Hyundai expert test mine. He said it was sketchy,........they are not expensive.
My first one went bad after what its a 2013, went down 2017. The second went down 2019, so one was 4 years, the second was 6 years. I always say electronic accessory crap in general,...3 years....LOL.
Mine was "sketchy", I think 4 years ago? :-/
I thought it was the door handle, as everybody else at the time were having the same issue, and the result was the handle being replaced.
Changed it out and still was having the issue. (Button was getting worn anyways)
Turns out, it was my craptastic WIFI OBD scanner interfering with the radio waves.

Bought a decent one, and haven't had the issue since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just wanted some help before I send it to the dealership but I’m having a problem starting my car. With my key fob, I can lock and unlock the doors, I can set off my alarm and open my trunk but my car will not read the key to start. I brought my car home on Labor Day because I’ve been away from work due to an injury, and the next day I go to drive it up the road to pick up prescriptions the very next day and won’t start. Even in the key reader, it’s still showing that there is no key in the car. I’ve read forum after forum and can’t find anything. I’ve replaced the batteries in both fobs, checked my battery and even got my fobs tested and still nothing. Can someone please help me out???
Not sure if you had this solved but I had the exact same issue. You just need a new battery, I had a crappy oreily brand and didn’t use the warranty. I took it to the dealer and that’s what the issue was but identical issue as you explained.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if you had this solved but I had the exact same issue. You just need a new battery, I had a crappy oreily brand and didn’t use the warranty. I took it to the dealer and that’s what the issue was but identical issue as you explained.
+1 on a new car battery. These cars start acting real weird when the battery goes bad. First time mine did, i had no indicator except occasionally i would come outside to find my headlights or running lights on... It got to the point where i had to make a mental note that i did not leave them on when i walked away from the car. It was doing it itself. Or the alarm would randomly go off, i would come outside to the interior dome light on; weird stuff that was never my fault ( <<< i realize that sounds like a troll, but that was seriously what was happening, no joke lol) Finally figured it out when the fob stopped working. Even when inserted into the slot in the console it would say there was no key present.

Replaced the car battery, haven't had a single problem since. F'in hyundai electrical systems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts