Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
V6 bk2

The 8 AT is actually a real bad ass trans, It was engineered to take the hp of the V8 TAU.

Put some CERMA trans fluid in there with a large fanned trans cooler and she can take pretty much what you throw at her.

*****I have the BTRcc TCM custom, it "locks up" the TC like instantly. I cant wait to see her in action.

I'm sure level 10 has a conversion for 8ATs that want 750-1000 hp.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
The 8 AT is actually a real bad ass trans, It was engineered to take the hp of the V8 TAU.

Put some CERMA trans fluid in there with a large fanned trans cooler and she can take pretty much what you throw at her.

*****I have the BTRcc TCM custom, it "locks up" the TC like instantly. I cant wait to see her in action.

I'm sure level 10 has a conversion for 8ATs that want 750-1000 hp.:surprise:
When talking about transmissions and reliable power it can take, better to use torque numbers. Torque is what usually breaks transmissions.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
True,. I have the BTRcc dustom tune and TCM for my turbo kits conversion. Its with stock innards so tq is very conservative. I'll be fine;

V8 TAU 550 hp at the crank, much higher tq than the BK2 3.8.

My 7 psi 3.8 will be 525 at the crank. Easy work for the trans the way Im equipping her.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
True,. I have the BTRcc dustom tune and TCM for my turbo kits conversion. Its with stock innards so tq is very conservative. I'll be fine;

V8 TAU 550 hp at the crank, much higher tq than the BK2 3.8.

My 7 psi 3.8 will be 525 at the crank. Easy work for the trans the way Im equipping her.
Just so you know, thats what I thought too. On a BTR tune day, did 422whp and 414wtq at 7psi when number 1 piston took a crap (Sam said it is known to be a weak link). Have since gone with .020 over JE forged, Crower heavy duty rods, bearing specially coated by Calico Coatings in North Carolina. Shortblock has been balanced and blue printed. Special head bolts custom made by ARP for a builder in Vegas. Special matching head gasket (for .020 bore), custom made by Cometic for the same Vegas builder. Heads have been ported and polished. Almost done with the re-build. A few other goodies and safety measures have also been added.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Was it piston ones rings that went.?

Maybe I will keep her between 5.5 and 6.5,...Hahahaah

I will get a list from you when she goes. I would like to see if I can get ger near 100K with the turbo. Then do a forged build and turn that MFer up. I have 22K on her now as a NA.

Son of a bitch,roughly the same hp and tq,..I'll have to keep that in mind. Did you start out more conservative and then tune higher ?
How many miles on yours as a NA before turbo. Are you 6266 ball bearing as well ?

Are you MT or 8AT

What did you do to your differential bushings if anything.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
If the cometic HG is a all metal gasket... good luck having her not leak. That's just the nature of metal HG

If you are thinking of getting a precision turbo... I would stay away from them, unless you or someone you know have set up a precision turbo correctly before.
Those turbos are really finicky about how much oil pressure it sees. Too little, toast turbo... too much, oil out the a$$ and it needing a rebuild.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was it piston ones rings that went.?

Maybe I will keep her between 5.5 and 6.5,...Hahahaah

I will get a list from you when she goes. I would like to see if I can get ger near 100K with the turbo. Then do a forged build and turn that MFer up. I have 22K on her now as a NA.

Son of a bitch,roughly the same hp and tq,..I'll have to keep that in mind. Did you start out more conservative and then tune higher ?
How many miles on yours as a NA before turbo. Are you 6266 ball bearing as well ?

Are you MT or 8AT

What did you do to your differential bushings if anything.
It was the piston that cracked, not the rings.

My car is a 2014 Ultimate 8AT with about 25k+ NA miles.

Yes, I too went with the 6266 ball bearing.

I have the Enthuspec diff bushing kit.

Tune started at base and then set at 5 psi, with subsequent runs starting turning up 1 at a time.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Agreed on the Cometic. I saw that Ryan from the vids went that way, then went back to oem even with his forged build.
I will always have half a quart over for oil pressure concerns. This was given to me from my Hyunda/Gen dude.
He is also a Mustang dude. He loves Prescision turbos.

I know you dudes dont want to hear it but CERMA/nano render the turbo like indestructable oil wise. It will never coke, and the bearings become super duper. I trust the oil line drain stup fron TK kits.

·
Sleeper!
848 Posts
Just so you know, thats what I thought too. On a BTR tune day, did 422whp and 414wtq at 7psi when number 1 piston took a crap (Sam said it is known to be a weak link). Have since gone with .020 over JE forged, Crower heavy duty rods, bearing specially coated by Calico Coatings in North Carolina. Shortblock has been balanced and blue printed. Special head bolts custom made by ARP for a builder in Vegas. Special matching head gasket (for .020 bore), custom made by Cometic for the same Vegas builder. Heads have been ported and polished. Almost done with the re-build. A few other goodies and safety measures have also been added.
That would be me haha. If you need anything else at all just let me know and very glad to help out.

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
IIRC the 6266 is a precision turbo. Doesn't matter where you buy it from.
That and it being ball bearing means it's not rebuildable (as far as I know)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts