Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts
Our cars don't like extreme weather in any direction. in the cold i had all kinds of electrical issues. in the hot a complete different set of issues. The good thing is none of the issues are perm and go away over time.
+1000 agree! I've got a bone stock '10 3.8 and have had all kinds of electric gremlins when the weather was been either very cold or very hot (head unit amp or heater blower would not turn on, idiot lights on the dash would flicker when pressing the brake pedal, the open door light got stuck on even when both doors and the trunk were closed). All of these would clear up by turning the ignition off and on.

Now we've had close to 100F days for a week, and my TCS off light keeps on coming on by itself and won't turn off from the TCS button. I'm at a dealership right now because the transmission (6 AT) shifts like crap and went to limp mode trying to merge to a freeway the other day... :mad:

Edit: Replaced the brake switch... could not repro the shifting problem.

I had to chime in with my car doing the exact same thing, bone stock '10 3.8 m/t track, 18.8K miles, black, coincidentally.

It feels like the engine stumbles for a second, CEL lit, gas pedal is mushy with no power, idle is slightly elevated and a little erratic. Shutdown and restart fixes it, sometimes for 24hrs. Sometimes the CEL would go out on it's own.

I cleaned the throttle body without improvement.

But mine had a little twist the other day, it wouldn't crank. It did the CEL/limp twice in quick succession in the morning, then at lunch I drove over to the gym. Came back out and hit the button and all the lights and gauges came up as normal, 2d push to start and power went out without cranking the engine.
Disconnect on the battery and it started and drive normally but with TMPS lit. in it's first instance last week, when it restarted normally, I had airbag, brake, ABS and CEL all on at the same time with normal engine/trans/braking performance.

I drove it to the dealership and dropped it off.

Hah! This just happened to me yesterday. It was hotter than sh*t and I had the A/C on all day. I was stopped at a traffic light and when I went to accelerate it went into this exact limp mode. It sucks since I was on a busy street and had to pull over into a bus stop. I let it cool down and the check engine light was still on but it was no longer in limp mode. When I went home, I checked all hoses, rescrewed the gas cap, and the engine light went off.

I'm guessing the aforementioned TSB is not listed on hmaservice or am I missing it?

So it went into limp mode again. Same sort of scenario: hot day, been running the A/C all day. I went to drive on my lunch break and 30 seconds after I started driving, limp mode again. I pulled over, turn the ignition off and waited 20 seconds. CEL was still on but it was no longer in limp mode. I bought a scan tool and got the following DTC error codes:

P0638
Throttle actuator control range / performance bank 1

P1295
Manufacturer control

P2106
Throttle actuator control system forced limited power

I unplugged the battery and that cleared the CEL. I took it to the dealership and gave them the codes. They weren't able to do any work because they said they couldn't warranty the work without being able to scan the codes again.

The same thing happened again, but I left it alone. The car went into limp mode and I turned it off, started, and limp mode was gone. After a few hours the CEL turned itself off but I made sure that the codes were still stored. Honestly that first code sounds scary but when I googled it, it seems like it just needs an ECU reprogram. We'll see what happens when I bring it in Monday.

...yay.
I had the same problem as PandaSmuggler. Limp mode, then got a CEL with the same codes. This happened three times within the last two months...once in heavy rain, twice in high heat. Dropped it off at the dealership this morning; just got a call from them, they're ordering a new throttle body for it. So judging from some of the other posts in this thread it does seem like throttle body issues are the primary culprit. I bet they already have a tech bulletin on this because it only took them a couple hours to diagnose.

A little help to those dealing with difficult dealerships that blame the problem on mods...it may help to mention the CEL codes (if you have them) and the fact that your research suggests it may be a throttle body problem. May just be a coincidence, but it seemed to work for me. :dunno:

Well I had mine in the shop for 5 days and got the dreaded "cannot duplicate". No codes stored, and they drove it 50 miles over those days and it never once crapped out on them. I asked them to go over the throttle body, throttle position sensor, MAF, but don't know if or what they did, if anything at all except drive the piss out of it.

Update: the limp mode tripped 4x in one day, 2x in the morning which the CEL went off by the end of the day. But on the trip home it happened 2x. I got it in to the dealership while the CEL was on and it initially showed no DTC codes but gave a "history", he called it, of 2x limp mode and something about low voltage on some circuit (I forget what he called it).

The tech called me and referenced a code 641, and the computer sending a 5v status check to sensors and if it doesn't get a response it goes to limp mode. So far he can't duplicate it in the shop and he says driving it to replicate won't help.

I described the problem as the throttle abruptly opens and closes rapidly like taking your foot off the pedal and then tapping the gas, that kind of lurch/surge feeling.

The tech is leaning toward new ECU but is checking with his boss who's out of pocket at the moment.

A little help to those dealing with difficult dealerships that blame the problem on mods...it may help to mention the CEL codes (if you have them) and the fact that your research suggests it may be a throttle body problem. May just be a coincidence, but it seemed to work for me. :dunno:
Yea I did give them the codes from my scanner, didn't help. Like I said before, this dealership is clueless. I'm taking a trip down to Phoenix where it's going to be hotter than hell and I'm hoping I won't run into any problems *fingers crossed* Just in case, I'm bringing a 10mm nut driver :p

If the problem occurs again, I'm going to to take out my CAI (yay!) and put my stock airbox back on, go to a different dealership and say, "WTF?!"

I have a 2011 3.8 R-SPEC and the same thing happened to me about a month ago, I meant to take it in to the dealer and then forgot, then about 3 days ago it happened again, I took it in and im about to pick it back up in about an hour! They claimed they had to replace the throttlebody and sensor. mine has 4300 miles on it.
I also was trying to get one of my friend's to buy a red r-spec, we went to the dealer and then he test drove it and on goes the CEL..

Also when I brought my in the other day for this CEL, I told them about the problem with my transmission grinding in 5th gear even with a slow shift at about 85mph and ofcourse they gave me the "we couldn't duplicate the problem" anyone else have this issue? this shouldnt happen at 4300 miles :-(

regarding transmission issues I had my DMF replaced but twice been told the trans is fine even after I drove the tranny tech around and showed him it wouldn't go in to 1st gear at anything but a dead stop and being double/triple clutched.

I eventually drained and refilled with Dexron III (?) ATF and kissed my tranny troubles goodbye.

Yep, TB seemed to fix the problem, I even showed my dealer this thread and they saw all you guys having the same issue. Gone another 1,500 miles without the issue, hopefully thats the end of it ... I hope. Just one more time and it would have been a lemon ...

Yep, TB seemed to fix the problem, I even showed my dealer this thread and they saw all you guys having the same issue. Gone another 1,500 miles without the issue, hopefully thats the end of it ... I hope. Just one more time and it would have been a lemon ...
yeah buddy

Well I was going back to work from lunch break and saw random dash lights were on. 2 seconds later after the random dash light disappeared, the (@#$*&@# Check engine light came back on with limp mode. This time it took 4 restarts to get out of limp.. I'm seriously considering this car a lemon. Who ever wired this car is a freaking n00b. Oh and the transmission sucks balls.

This was 5 months after the throttle body replacement.

Well I was going back to work from lunch break and saw random dash lights were on. 2 seconds later after the random dash light disappeared, the (@#$*&@# Check engine light came back on with limp mode. This time it took 4 restarts to get out of limp.. I'm seriously considering this car a lemon. Who ever wired this car freaking n00b. Oh and the transmission sucks balls.

This was 5 months after the throttle body replacement.

Damn, sorry to hear. I'll bet its a "Monday or Friday" built vehicle. Just one more time and my car will be a lemon. How many times have you taken it in for the same thing? And yes, I also agree the transmission, (6 speed) is a piece of junk. I hope things get sorted out, please keep us updated on the issue. Thanks ~

Damn, sorry to hear. I'll bet its a "Monday or Friday" built vehicle. Just one more time and my car will be a lemon. How many times have you taken it in for the same thing? And yes, I also agree the transmission, (6 speed) is a piece of junk. I hope things get sorted out, please keep us updated on the issue. Thanks ~
Taking it back tomorrow (Monday) for the 5th time.

Looks like I'm the latest victim of this. They cleared my codes and wanted me to bring it back later this week.

Code History:

P2106 - Limp Mode - Forced Limited Power
P1295 - Limp Mode - Power Management
P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

After they did a diagnostic these codes also showed:

C1604 - ECU Hardware Error
C1202 - Wheel Speed Sensor Front-LH Invalid/No Signal
C1205 - Wheel Speed Sensor Front-RH Invalid/No Signal

My mods are AEM CAI/Ark True Dual Exhaust with DP/TP, and SFR Tune.

Happened to me with 47 miles as i drove it off the lot for the first time.

Bright sunny day... made a right hand turn 1000 feet from the dealer and with mild acceleration it went into limp mode and threw the CEL... no real reason for it to happen.

Turned it around, dropped it off at the service department without turning it off, so they couldn't give me the "we couldn't replicate it". They called me 2 days later and said it was a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

Now I know very little about cars and all the electrical sensors now included, but they said they fixed it and I haven't had an issue again. I'm now at 4,386 miles.

Maybe that's it?
Any time it throws a CEL,it stores the code. There is no risk of them not being able to find it once it throws that light.

update from my service call...this fully resolved my problems:

P00641 sensor reference voltage A open. Case # 4504980 advised code is 5 volt reference to TPS from PCM. Issues are PCM or wiring harness. Observed 5 volts at TPS for some time. During this time shook harness and wiggled connectors etc. also test drove and could not duplicate. Replaced PCM due to intermittent issue every 4-500 miles with car stalling. customer took car himself and drove over 3 weeks with no issues called to say car was good.

update from my service call...this fully resolved my problems:

Quote:
P00641 sensor reference voltage A open. Case # 4504980 advised code is 5 volt reference to TPS from PCM. Issues are PCM or wiring harness. Observed 5 volts at TPS for some time. During this time shook harness and wiggled connectors etc. also test drove and could not duplicate. Replaced PCM due to intermittent issue every 4-500 miles with car stalling. customer took car himself and drove over 3 weeks with no issues called to say car was good. :
WOW THIS MAKES SENSE NOW. Every time I stroll down my drive way. I go over a bump at the end cap of my drive way in reverse. Once put in first gear and let the clutch out, Car goes in Limp Mode and get a CEL. I was wondering why this always happens by my house lol. I took my car in to the dealer this morning for the 5th time, telling them its their last chance to fix otherwise its a lemon. AND I HOPE NOT, because I really love this car. Then I saw THIS REPLY I called my dealer and directed them to this site. They thank me for making their job easier and hopefully fix it.

EDIT: Every time I go over that bump on my driveway, I think it shook the wiring harness making it to disconnect and reconnect, which also result of random dash lights to turn on and off.. I could be wrong though

EDIT AGAIN 9/16: This wasn't the problem. The dealer needs more time to work on it. :(

Looks like I'm the latest victim of this. They cleared my codes and wanted me to bring it back later this week.

Code History:

P2106 - Limp Mode - Forced Limited Power
P1295 - Limp Mode - Power Management
P0638 - Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P061B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

After they did a diagnostic these codes also showed:

C1604 - ECU Hardware Error
C1202 - Wheel Speed Sensor Front-LH Invalid/No Signal
C1205 - Wheel Speed Sensor Front-RH Invalid/No Signal

My mods are AEM CAI/Ark True Dual Exhaust with DP/TP, and SFR Tune.
Keep me updated please. I have had the same issue a few times.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.