Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NC and a local GenCoupe group here is trying to get BTR to come down and do a tune day. I plan on going and finally getting my car tuned. Anyway today I ordered an O2 housing for my car and had a question about the CEL code. I know the code will come on and that they can turn it off too. However I still need my car to pass inspection. My question is if they turn the CEL off and I put my stock O2 housing in just for inspection (no code coming on) if it will pass inspection? Do they tune it to where the light on the dash is just off for that code or make it to where the code will show “not ready” even if I have my stock housing in and no actual code is being thrown.

·
dontmindme. justcreepin
182 Posts
My TurboXS housing did not throw a code and I drove with it for a while. As far as the turning off with the tune, I could not tell you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, with the CEL light off, if I put the stock o2 housing back in and there is no actual CEL from the ECU, I will not pass inspection? Just want to make sure before I decide on the tune.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,439 Posts
So, with the CEL light off, if I put the stock o2 housing back in and there is no actual CEL from the ECU, I will not pass inspection? Just want to make sure before I decide on the tune.
Well no, if you put the stock one back in and drive enough to complete the drive cycle the code will not be there.

·
Premium Member
16,127 Posts
No. What all the tuners do (as far as I know) is disable the ecu from doing an o2 sensor check. This makes the ecu say "incomplete" or "not ready"
That will not let you pass inspection.

Now there are 2 solutions for you.
1. Get a separate ecu and get that tuned and swap ecus and cat for inspection
2. Get the tune, but keep the o2 check and just live with the CEL being on. Then when inspection time comes around, swap the cat and clear the CEL.

Sfr is located on the east coast, and do offer an option to buy a separate ECU with a tune on it. The cost for an ECU is $250 IIRC.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you plan on doing your own work? The o2 housing is a bitch and the studs tend to break so I would be pretty careful if your swapping out too often. What county do you live in? Do you know if they do emissions or just visual safety inspections? I have lived in both types of counties in NC and purposely moved like 2 miles away across county lines to avoid emissions testing.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,439 Posts
I would get some aftermarket studs or drill out the turbo stud holes (if needed) and use nuts and bolts to attach the housing to the turbo if you plan on R&R it much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. What all the tuners do (as far as I know) is disable the ecu from doing an o2 sensor check. This makes the ecu say "incomplete" or "not ready"
That will not let you pass inspection.

Now there are 2 solutions for you.
1. Get a separate ecu and get that tuned and swap ecus and cat for inspection
2. Get the tune, but keep the o2 check and just live with the CEL being on. Then when inspection time comes around, swap the cat and clear the CEL.

Sfr is located on the east coast, and do offer an option to buy a separate ECU with a tune on it. The cost for an ECU is $250 IIRC.
BTR is coming down to do and event and I talked with Sam from there and I’m just going to get them to tune a separate ECU then just swap them out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you plan on doing your own work? The o2 housing is a bitch and the studs tend to break so I would be pretty careful if your swapping out too often. What county do you live in? Do you know if they do emissions or just visual safety inspections? I have lived in both types of counties in NC and purposely moved like 2 miles away across county lines to avoid emissions testing.
Yeah I always do my own work (minus tuning) that way if something ever happens I know how to fix it. I like in wake county so we have emissions but have friends that do inspections. I plan to swap things back over for the inspection so either way I shouldn’t have an issue with that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would get some aftermarket studs or drill out the turbo stud holes (if needed) and use nuts and bolts to attach the housing to the turbo if you plan on R&R it much.
Any recommendation on aftermarket studs or bolts? The car only has 44k on it so how likely are they to snap when I remove the housing?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,439 Posts
They are a fine thread, 1.25 and that makes it a bit difficult.Beyond Redline carries some I believe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Man... I am just glad that we don't have to deal with all that emission BS... LOL

I am full open turbo-back exhaust with no need to deal with emissions and having to get tested to pass... Love it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man... I am just glad that we don't have to deal with all that emission BS... LOL

I am full open turbo-back exhaust with no need to deal with emissions and having to get tested to pass... Love it!
Lucky! I know there is one county near me that doesn’t do emissions. I’m thinking about moving there just for this issue lol.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,439 Posts
I think I might just drill out the threads and use bolts that way I don’t have to deal with it in the future.
I have used hardened bolts Grade 8, and stainless steel nuts. That works pretty good and is reusable. Just don't get stainless bolts and stainless nuts. That tends to gall when used for exhaust fasteners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts