Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the used GC I'm most likely buying is the "certified pre-owned."

I think I've got my head around what all that entails, but if folks here could clarify, that'd be great.

It being Certified means that the 10-year/100k powertrain warranty rolls back to factory status (minus the miles and years already on it), right?

Should the original 5-year/60k limited warranty (covering more than the drivetrain) become intact, too?

It's extra for the 100k bumper-to-bumper. But I can buy that later, correct? Will the price stay the same, so that I can wait until I'm near the 5-year mark and buy it if I think I need to?

Just figuring I should double check the answers to these questions from you folks in the know, to make sure they match up with what I'm being told by the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not completely sure what Hyundai's version of "certified preowned" is...it is good that they extend the power train warranty to 10yr/100k (that is time from original purchase and total miles). Normally you don't get that on a used Hyundai. Also, you DO keep the original 5yr/60k bumper/bumper warranry...again, from the original purchase date. As far as the extended warranty, the longer you wait, the price goes up...it will not stay the same. That being said, if it is something you are interested in, really negotiate with the dealer...warranties are big money makers for them and they charge almost double their cost sometimes. I recently bought a VW, and they dropped the warranty price $700 to make the deal.

·
GenSport Carolinas
3,001 Posts
I would go straight to the dealer for clarification on this one and be sure to get it in writing. This is new info to me. Not saying it doesn't exist but this may be a dealer-specific offering that you'll want to get details directly from them.

You'll also want to make sure that this warranty is good through other dealers in case you are traveling and need to use it or if you've moved.

I would assume the extra charge for the 100k bumper-to-bumper is arranged through a third party warranty company of some kind. Not sure how long you'll have to make a decision on the extended warranty but I'm guessing that there's a deadline or some kind of waiting period before a claim could be made. You will also want details on this and do some research on the company that's backing this.

·
Honda Hunter
123 Posts
i was unaware that hyundai did any type of certified pre-owned warranty. on a second owner i think its just powertrain 6yrs/60k miles

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In general certified means dealer seels the car as used but with sames as new car warranty with option to buy manufacture extended warranty too.:)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
From my understanding, the warranty goes with the car, not the owner.

Might be different in the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the link to Hyundai's Certified Pre-Owned program:

jmagroup.com/HyundaiCPO.aspx

I've just got to find out how much more he wants to charge for the extended bumper-to-bumper....

Thanks for the comments so far!

·
Yes it's rear wheel drive
335 Posts
where is the car at?

·
Registered
165 Posts
From my understanding, the warranty goes with the car, not the owner.

Might be different in the US.
In the US if you are not the original owner your warranty drops down to the same as us Canadian folks, 5 year 100,000 km (60,000 miles)

As the OP is asking, buying certified pre-owned may or may not remove that restriction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts