Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I heard that there's a shop in my area called Motorsports Authority that is looking for 2.0T GCs to develop parts for and will possibly be getting said parts after it's all said and done. I am a little worried about what they would do to my car (like let's say that my car was in their possession when the engine blew up or something) but let me say that I have experience in modifying cars but I've never sent my car to a shop to have stuff put on it; and I technically "voided" (for lack of better terms) my engine warranty due to the BR Stage 1 reflash. Lastly I know that I need to make sure I understand everything that they are going to doing to my car before I hand the keys over and will have a few friends with me just in case.

My question is how many of you guys went through this process? Is it a worthwhile thing? They will probably be putting on bolt-ons and possibly body work. I'm going to stop by their place this Saturday to discuss with them.

Thanks guys! :)

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
I've done some work with a company locally to me. As long as you go into knowing exactly what they want to develop, and you completely understand the risk, then it is just a matter of if the place is reputable or not. Easiest way to tell that is to get on local scene forums and just ask like you did here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've done some work with a company locally to me. As long as you go into knowing exactly what they want to develop, and you completely understand the risk, then it is just a matter of if the place is reputable or not. Easiest way to tell that is to get on local scene forums and just ask like you did here.
Pretty sure it wouldn't be giving you parts for free, more like at a discounted cost.
Thanks for the input guys!

@Bill: Do you think it might be a bit much to have some sort of written agreement for them to cover expenses of any damage to my car while it's in their possession or due to their products messing up my car?

@AKGC The thread title was a little misleading, but what you said makes sense also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Bump* for more insight, advice, or experiences with working with a company to develop parts for the platform

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
*Bump* for more insight, advice, or experiences with working with a company to develop parts for the platform
I've always been under the impression that part of the reason you get a discount or free parts from testing is due to the risk you take testing those new parts along with the delay in time it takes to R&D said parts. Like mentioned above, just make sure it is a reputable company that you trust regarding quality of their work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys think it's a worthwhile thing to do, my car is my daily driver so I'll try to work out a deal where they can have my car for the weekends and I take it back for work days. Of course I'll relay this same info to them when I see them on Saturday.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's worth it. I got my exhaust through a deal like this. They make you sign a waiver freeing them of any harm that may happen though

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
MSA is the real deal, talk to them and get in writing the agreement of whether you will get said parts for free or discounted etc. Also ask them about ur concerns. Like I said they are a very reputable company.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's worth it. I got my exhaust through a deal like this. They make you sign a waiver freeing them of any harm that may happen though
My concerns(from most important to least):
The waiver deal, the fact that I'll be out of a car for a bit and my mom freaking out that I basically gave my car to a stranger (yes I live with my mom still :eek:) Thanks for the insight Kamikaze

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
My personal view on this all is:

1. If its for parts like exhaust or intake. Then go for it.

2. If you're making payments on the car, then I wouldn't do it. Both my old Z28 and Z06 were sponsored cars, but I had paid for them in full so the financial liability of the engine or trans being blown was minimal to me.

3. In your situation with it being your DD, I'd be iffy about it. If they're doing R&D, chances are they will need it much more often than 2 days a week that would normally be their days off.

These are just my opinions though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My personal view on this all is:

1. If its for parts like exhaust or intake. Then go for it.

2. If you're making payments on the car, then I wouldn't do it. Both my old Z28 and Z06 were sponsored cars, but I had paid for them in full so the financial liability of the engine or trans being blown was minimal to me.

3. In your situation with it being your DD, I'd be iffy about it. If they're doing R&D, chances are they will need it much more often than 2 days a week that would normally be their days off.

These are just my opinions though.
While all the other posts were helpful, this one gets the cake as this was what I was looking for. Thanks man

1 - 14 of 14 Posts