Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know do you guys change your transmission fluid based on milage or age? I have a 13 gen coupe but it only has 18k miles on the car not sure if I should change it now or wait till around 40-50k

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just wanted to know do you guys change your transmission fluid based on milage or age? I have a 13 gen coupe but it only has 18k miles on the car not sure if I should change it now or wait till around 40-50k
Thh

I bought a 2013 Gen in 2017, it had 19K. One of the first things I did was change the fluids,(at the dealer). You can not go wrong with this. There are much better truly synth options now than the oem H or even Zf spec fluids.

**think about it like it was the breaki in fluids. Now that your car has ran and normalized, give her fresh better quality stuff to run. Change it every 60 K. I promise you,short of you having a lemon or defective trans it will love you for it.

·
Premium Member
14,836 Posts
I can tell you stories about changing out ATF and the issues that comes with it.

Its with higher mileage and hard run automatics. Basically wet clutch material wearing, making larger tolerances, and the only thing making it run "normal" is the clutch material being suspended in the ATF, making the ATF thicker.

FYI ATF doesn't really break down... there is no combustion in the transmission. ATF gets heated via the transcooler in the radiator and the heat transferred by the crank.
Only real time the automatic itself, generates heat, is when it's shifting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thh

I bought a 2013 Gen in 2017, it had 19K. One of the first things I did was change the fluids,(at the dealer). You can not go wrong with this. There are much better truly synth options now than the oem H or even Zf spec fluids.

**think about it like it was the breaki in fluids. Now that your car has ran and normalized, give her fresh better quality stuff to run. Change it every 60 K. I promise you,short of you having a lemon or defective trans it will love you for it.

Just curious how much did the dealer charge for the job?

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
716 Posts
My dealer quoted me a price for the ZF trans. OC...1300 bucks USD!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds about right... the ZF uses a lot of expensive ATF, should get a new pan with built in filter, and well... it's the dealership...

A drain and fill will use 6 quarts. A flush will use even more... id say at least 10 quarts.

If done right this isnt going to be a quick service. Trans has to be at the correct temperature range.

·
Premium Member
14,836 Posts
The M-1375.4 ATF can cost up to $75 a quart

I'm guessing the trans takes up to 10 quarts when bone dry, but realistically a fluid change would take 6 to 8 quarts.
Thats $450 to $600 just for fluid, then you have to add labor and filter replacement.... and dealer markup on parts.
even what that in mind, $1300 still seems much.
realistically I would imagine $900 to $1000 to be reasonable for everything, considering the price for fluid and parts.
I mean the fluid and filter change process by dropping the pan, seems about the same as any other automatic, from what I can tell from reading through the fsm.

·
Premium Member
14,836 Posts
Found this for only $13 so only $130 for 10
Thats a substitute that "Says" it's compatible. Use at your own risk.

What I mean by risk, is the transmission usually doesn't feel quite the same using a substitute.
rubber band affect when rolling from a stop, shifts feeling little more sluggish than usual, ect.

You can probably put in any ATF and it should work.... but the results afterwards, you might not like.
And if you had it changed at one of those econo shops, and are in this thread because of it, then they highly likely didn't have the right fluid and just put in what they had, and now you are experiencing the result of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've found a 6 quart pack of LifeGuard 6 on ebay for around $100 (want to say $16/qt). Cant find receipt and got it quite a while ago. That's for the ZF 6 speed. Also found the trans pan with filter, rubber gasket and bolt set for around $60 IIRC... it's a knock off but looks legit. Guess I wont know its good till I try it one of these days. If it leaks oh well i'll do another D&F and end up with cleaner ATF. If not all the better. The typical pan and ATF D&F kit runs around $260 on the zf atf kit website https://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-change-kit-for-bmw-hyundai-187-61.html

·
Registered
784 Posts
My dealer quoted me a price for the ZF trans. OC...1300 bucks USD!

Now thats a stealership !

Find another dealer. Mine did it for 89.95 I supplied the fluid. This stuff exceeds all the performance ratings of even your overpriced ZF junk. And its made in TEXAS.

https://www.cermastore.com/transmission-fluid-automatic.html

Mines an 8AT with a trans tune, conversion to boosted 3.8. 21K miles on the conversion. Trans is like the favorite part of this car now.

·
Premium Member
14,836 Posts
I would personally, buy the OEM fluid (Actual OEM fluid from whatever source I can find it cheaper) and do it myself, if I had the issue.

But... I suggest buying the OEM fluid and then just take it to a shop and tell them to do the work.... WITHOUT using a trans flush machine.

What, max $150 in labor?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts